The Idol of Notre Dame

One Good Reason

 

Day two of our pilgrimage to France is off to a quite dull and unexciting start. After being chauffeured around for the first half of the day, we end up walking around the perimeter of Notre Dame before being invited inside on a tour. As boring as it is, I must admit that the sights are quite breathtaking, but I keep my nonchalant facade to keep from being badgered.

 

We were ready to leave and head back to the hotel for the night...well, I was, if anything. This trip is worth it in the sense that I'm out in the world, but by now it's getting a bit repetitive. My longing for home is stronger than its ever been.

 

Except for the fact that Yunho is here.

 

Oh, please, Mona, don't kid yourself. He was here on his own free will, and he's probably halfway back to South Korea by now.

 

I slightly wander away from my group. I haven't particularly become attached to any of the other members of this voyage...and neither have they. This trip pushed for new friendships and knowledge, but all it's done is managed to get twenty youths from America slightly inconvenienced at the lack of excitement provided.

 

I peek outside at the bustling people of France. I'm almost jealous that they can freely walk the country without having anyone else behind them. Almost.

 

“Mona!”

 

Geez, now what?

 

“Mona Eric!”

 

Mona Eric? What in the-

 

“Mona Eric, hi!”

 

There's no way that Jung Yunho is still in France. And there's no way that he's here at Notre Dame the same time I am. There's no way he's standing about 50 feet away from me, jumping up and down and waving to make sure I can see him. There's no freakin' way he's making a mad dash to where I'm standing. There's sure no way in hell that I'm still standing upright as he makes it.

 

“Hi Mona Eric! It's me, Yunho!” He points to himself like it's the first time he's been able to identify himself.

 

Oh my God.

 

“Oppa, hi,” I wave, shyly. Oh, way to go. Yunho's anxious to see a girl like you?

 

“Guess what?” he giggles, still bouncing around. Honestly, I never would have pegged my mature, noble idol to be as hyperactive as my kid brother. And five of his friends put together.

 

“What is it, Oppa?” I ask, brushing my stray hairs from my face. I hope it holds its shape.

 

“Happy birthday!” he shouts giddily, whipping out a camera from his blazer pocket, and snapping a shot of me before I can respond.

 

I blink dumbly, considering the flash has already gone off. “Uhm, Oppa, uh...Kamsahamnida,” I bow. “Uh, but, it isn't my birthday.” I bow again, in case I've offended him. I sure hope I haven't.

 

To my surprise, he starts to laugh. He turns the camera screen around so I can see the sudden snapshot he took of me. I guess he managed to snap it the moment he said “Happy birthday”, because my mouth is gaping wide with surprise and happiness at the sudden outburst.

 

“I got you,” he giggles, pointing at his camera screen. His smile is irresistible. The way he said that...

 

“Under my skin~” I reply, singing ever so softly. I blink. I did not just do that. Oh, please tell me I did not just sing Mirotic in response to Yunho. Please tell me that he's not looking at me with the curiosity of a cat. Oh, for the love of God-

 

-He's crying?

 

“Oppa? What's wrong?” I stammer-shout. My hand fly up to try and touch his shoulders. “I'm sorry! I shouldn't have-”

 

“Funny!”

 

Huh?

 

“Funny?” I inquire, relaxing my stance. I point to my face, like an animated character. I can't help but blink. “You think I'm funny?”

 

“Yes, Mona Eric!” His laughing is starting to really become contagious. Every time he laughs, I swear, something in me wants to shout to the world “I love this man!!!!”

 

I giggle a little. “Like...Funny Hunny Bunny?”

 

His laughter erupts even louder than before. He thinks I'm a laugh riot, and I love every minute of it.

 

“Mona?” I can hear one of the other kids on the trip shout from inside Notre Dame. “Mona, the chaperones want to leave now!”

 

“You've got the wrong number, so don't call me no more~” I coo back softly.

 

Yunho's doubling over in hysterics. This is actually going quite well. While I am making a bit of a fool out of myself, I don't seem to mind it as much as I should. I'm making Jung Yunho laugh. I can barely do that with my three year old cousin.

 

He shakily lifts his finger and points over my shoulder. “Mona,” he breathes.

 

“Ne?” I try to answer in Korean. “Wh-AAHH!!”

 

That kid again. She taps my shoulder, but jerks back when I do. “I-I didn't mean to startle you...” she mumbles abashedly. “We just...we need to get going, and...”

 

I sigh with disappointment. “Yeah, yeah, alright,” I scoff. As much as I don't want this to end, I decide to go along with it. Maybe with luck I'll see Yunho again?

 

I take a step back, pointing to the girl who's already sprinting back to the group. I guess I scared her with the fact that I'm done playing by the rules. All I want to do is enjoy the last few days of my stay without interference from the chaperones.

 

Whoa, deja vu. Every time I've seen Yunho, it always ends with me backing away from him. I hope that he can understand that it's not that I'm choosing to end our conversations that way.

 

“I have to go with my group,” I say meekly, retreating into my own skin.

 

He stops laughing. “Oh, okay,” he sighs. You can definitely see a change in his demeanor. He looks almost...disappointed?

 

That I'm leaving?
 

He walks up to me, stopping shy of bumping into me. His hand meets my shoulder.

 

“Goodbye, Mona Er...Elr...Eric,” he tries. Hey, he's certainly trying. And I'm more than willing to be his Mona Eric any day.

 

I place my hand over his on my shoulder.

 

“Goodbye, Jung Yunho,” I practically whisper. Maybe if I don't say goodbye aloud, I really won't have to. “...Oppa...”

 

I bow, then break away from his touch. I run back towards where my group was, hoping that they would have some way of defending themselves from my impending wrath.

 

“Mona Elic!”

 

I turn around and skid to a halt. Elic? I must give him credit for trying so darn hard to say my name. It's not that difficult, but I've had sixteen years of practice. I think it's pretty cute that every time he calls my name he has to say my full name, too.

 

“Yes, Oppa?” I shout back, cupping my mouth.

 

He starts to bounce up and down, waving his hand. “Bye! Bye-bye!” he cries, cupping one side of his mouth with the hand he isn't waving with.

 

Lighting, please strike me now, while nothing can bring me down from my high.

 

“Mona, let's go!”

 

Way to go, lighting. I didn't ask for you to allow me to live afterwards. I wave my final goodbye to Yunho as my fellow group mate drags me away. I put up a fight the whole way, too. But I doubt Yunho saw it...I hope not.

 

___________________________________________________________

:D You guys reading this story are wonderful. I know I'm not the greatest at writing, so thank you for putting up with my crazy story!

Yunho is a bit of a stalker, no? XD

I adore him too much to make him so. He just has good timing :3