Lies

One Good Reason

 

Things return into a normal schedule back home. Once the plane landed, Elyse gave me her number. I gladly took it, and offered my house number, since my phone was still MIA somewhere in the streets of Paris. My parents weren't too thrilled with having to get me a new phone, but accidents are accidents.

 

Elyse and I said our goodbyes, and she bid me luck in life. I told her that someday, when I'm more comfortable in my own skin, I'll be able to repay her for all of her help. She told me that hearing that from me was more than enough thanks.

 

My parents have attempted to get as much about my trip out of me as possible. I show them the pictures I took over the vast majority of it, and leave it at that. One day, my mom called me out on it.

 

“You met a guy,” she states matter-of-factly.

 

I flinch at the speculation. “What are you talking about?” I retort, hoping she can't see through my poker face. “Why would you say something like that?”

 

“Because you're even flightier than usual,” she shrugs, whipping her hand in the air. “And you've been sulking around the house. What's this guy like, anyway?”

 

“He's not like anything, Mom, because I didn't meet anyone,” I lie. I look at the floor, avoiding her stare.

 

“Uh-huh. And I'm tall enough to play professional basketball.”

 

“Fine,” I cave. “I met him in France, he's a wonderful person, and I admitted that I loved him. I guess that I came to that conclusion too quickly, that's all that happened.”

 

“You said that l-word, huh?”

 

“You mean...you don't care?”

 

“Well, no,” she admits. “Nothing's wrong with falling for someone, Mona. But four days is a short amount of time to assume that it's love.”

 

“Yeah, I realized that, that's why I don't think it was love anyway,” I lie again. “Just infatuation, kind of like Romeo and Juliet. I'm fine now, Mom, it's just a lot to handle. I can see why love's such a tricky business.”

 

“Well said,” she grins. “But I still want to meet this guy.”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Things with my brother have been better, I must admit. I don't find him quite as annoying or repulsive. But then again, almost a whole month away from home will change you.

 

He came into my room the other day, with a very serious look on his face.

 

“I have a crush on Melissa.”

 

I sat up from my slouch on my bed. My iPod headphones came out.

 

“What?”

 

“I like Melissa. Just thought I should tell you.”

 

I'd never seen him so serious about something before. “When did this realization come about, Matt?”

 

“About four weeks ago.”

 

Four weeks ago? I still hadn't left for Europe at that point. I remembered suddenly that we had this conversation right before I left. I had asked him who he liked in school, and he swore up and down that he didn't like anybody.

 

“Four weeks ago?” I repeat. “But I thought you said you didn't like anyone then.”

 

“Yeah, well, I lied,” he answered sadly.

 

I blink. My mind reels over the lie.

 

I don't think it was love anyway.

 

Before I could realize it, I was crying my eyes out. I jumped up from my bed, grabbing on to my younger, but wiser brother. “Yeah, me too,” I sobbed, holding him tightly.

___________________________________

Dragon note~

XD Almost over :( But this story is a major fail compared to my others.

So thanks for those who enjoy it! I love you all~

Enjoy ♥