In His Own World

Apartment 412

 

Yuna looked at the time, and then at the small club. It was nearly 6pm, which meant the club’s going to be open soon. She checked her camera again, zooming into different spots and snapping some random pictures. Through her lens, she landed on Jonghyun sitting on his amplifier and intensely plucking his guitar. He had a different face then, she noticed. The icy cold stare was nowhere to be seen, and his eyes were now burning with passion. He nodded along to his plucking, and once in a while a smile would appear. Subconsciously, Yuna snapped a few shots of him then and admired her shots.

“What are you smiling about?” the voice from behind scared her.

She quickly hid away her camera, and looked up to see Hyejeong creeping up behind her.

“Ah, you scared me,” Yuna mumbled. “It’s nothing.”

“Really? You were smiling like a baboon. What picture did you take? No, whose picture did you take?” she pestered on with a cheeky smile.

“It’s really nothing!”

“Jagi, why do you keep bothering her?” Minhyuk came from behind, giving Hyejeong a back hug.

Hyejeong smiled at the skinship. “I was just being friendly. Unni, we’re family now, right?”

Yuna felt obliged to nod her head. Hyejeong immediately beamed at her answer and sat closer to her.

 “Jaa~” she suddenly sat up. “It’s 6 o’clock! Where’s everyone?”

As if on cue, the door burst opened and a crowd of young adults came rushing inside. Yuna continued sitting at the bar, watching the groups of people ordering food and drinks, and then rushing to get a place at the front of the stage. Most of them were girls, who seemed pretty excited as they babbled on while pointing towards the members on stage.

“They’re pretty popular around here,” Hyejeong pointed out from behind the bar. “These girls come here almost every day just to see them.”

Yuna got up to her feet, her camera ready for action. “I’ll go off to do my work then!”

“Oh okay! Have fun and enjoy their performance!” Hyejeong replied.

Yuna slipped past the groups of girls and positioned herself nearer to the stage so that she could get a better view of them. Now that she was at the front, she could see how good they actually looked standing together as a band. The girls were practically drooling for them, and she couldn’t help stifling a laugh as she took shots of them. Their lives must have been that simple to allow them to watch these performances every day, she thought to herself.

“Check check..Annyeonghaseyo!” the microphone burst through the club as the lights shone on Yonghwa.

Immediately, squeals and screams replied him. From the corner, Yuna watched as all the members on stage smiled proudly at the crowd.

“Today, we have a newly added member to our team, so we hope you can give her all your love as well. She’ll be taking nice pictures of us and putting it up on our homepage for your viewing. Seo Yuna-ssi, everybody!”

Yuna froze as the light shone on her, startled by his introduction. She wasn’t expecting him to put her on the spotlight. She awkwardly greeted them with a slight bow and a wave, then looked at Yonghwa for help.

“Haha, she’s still very shy,” he continued talking. “Jaa, it’s her first time listening to us so please anticipate a great performance. We’ll do our best!”

All the members turned their heads towards her and gave her a warm smile to show her their support. In awe, Yuna just stared back at them. But of course, just then, Yuna caught Jonghyun smirking at her, as if making fun of her, and all the attractiveness immediately died down.

Minhyuk tapped his drumstick three times before a burst of guitar riffs suddenly filled the club. She could hear the guitar sounds complimenting well with the bass and drums, and soon she was bobbing her head along to Yonghwa’s voice. It took her some time before she remembered that she was supposed to take pictures of them. Soon, she was watching the performance through her lens, trying to catch cool moments of them on stage.

Yonghwa was obviously the charismatic lead singer, with his vocals nicely ringing through her ears. He had the tendency to make some little moves with his hands so she made sure she was able to capture those moments well.

Jungshin was the calm and collected bassist, plucking his bass smoothly and smiling wide at everyone whereas Minhyuk was having fun beating his drums, looking cute and y at the same time. Yuna quickly managed to enjoy the performance with the help of their enthusiasm.

The song reached its guitar solo part, and all eyes were on Jonghyun as the lights shone on him. Yuna focused her lens on his upper body, to catch his face expression while he glided his fingers smoothly across the strings. But the more she focused on him, the more surprised she was at his skills. He was actually pretty good. And seeing it that close, he somehow looked very attractive. She felt goosebumps on her as she continued observing him in action. He was in his own world; and she was truly in awe.

..

The first night ended well, and Yuna set off for home. She bade everyone farewell and promised to upload the pictures as soon as possible.

“Jonghyun oppa, aren’t you going to walk her home?” Hyejeong asked out loud, stopping her. “You’re neighbors right?”

“Ani, that’s okay!” Yuna immediately rejected at once. “I’m fine with walking by myself.”

Jonghyun turned to her as if shocked by her quick response. “She doesn’t want to.”

“Yah, oppa! It’s late at night already, and she’s a girl. Are you going to let her walk home herself?” Hyejeong insisted.

“Why are you so nosy?” Jonghyun told her as he packed up his guitar. “I’m going to go out with the boys tonight.”

But Hyejeong stopped him again. “Andwae. You walk her home. No boys’ night tonight. I want to have a date with Minhyuk oppa anyways.”

“Hyejeong-ah,” Jonghyun whined as he tried to weasel his out.

~

Minutes later, Yuna found herself walking awkwardly alone while Jonghyun grumpily followed behind her. Once in a while she turned to see if he was still angry. He was; so they walked home in silence that night.

The elevator ride was even more awkward, and Yuna couldn’t stand it anymore. The last thing she wanted was to have someone be angry at her.

“Mianhe,” she uttered, not looking at him in the eye.

“What for?”

“Because of me, you can’t go out with your friends.”

He let out a silent laugh. “Nah, it’s okay.”

Yuna looked up, surprised to see he was calm about this. His hands were in his pocket as he stared at the ground, his hair covering his eyes.

“Chongmal?”

“Hmm,” he simply replied, still not looking at her.

Now Yuna felt worse about it. His sudden change in behavior caught her by surprise, but now she was scared she really did annoy him, up to the point where he refused to argue anymore. They walked up to their doors silently, the jingling of their keys being the only sound. Filled with guilt, Yuna quickly stopped him before Jonghyun could enter his room.

“Jonghyun-ssi,” she uttered. “Erm, if you want to play your guitar at home, you can just play it. I won’t mind.”

He stared at her blankly, the icy cold stare of his back to its original place. “Why? Do you still feel guilty about me having to walk you home? If you are, save it. I told you it’s fine.”

Yuna quickly shook her head. “Ani, it’s not because of that!”

She didn’t want to explain herself, because she was embarrassed to say it out but he kept staring at her for an explanation. She lowered her head and mumbled quickly.

“The look on your face just now when you played your guitar; the way it was only you and your guitar, and no one else; I didn’t want to stop you from doing what you love. I got a nice feeling watching you just now.”

When she heard no answer from him, she looked up to see he was studying her face.

“Could it be..by any chance,” he uttered. “Seo Yuna-ssi, have you fallen for me?”

 

A/N:

Are my chapters like really long? It looks kinda long after I published it. But I'm used to writing long chapters..maybe because I'm very long-winded.