Don't Be Like That

Apartment 412

 

Back in her room, Yuna coiled herself up around her thick blanket in the corner of the room. She buried her head over her arms, and burst out into tears unable to hold it in any longer. It was all too much to digest. She was still so worried about her father’s whereabouts and now she found out that her neighbor was associated with the same bunch of people that was trying to hurt her.

Yuna cried her heart out till her eyes felt heavy and soon, she dozed off.

**

Jonghyun got out of his house, ready for work but stopped as he watched the closed door in front of him. Usually they would somehow always manage to come out at the same time. But today, the door remained shut.

He sighed heavily for what seemed like the hundredth time that day and headed off for work. He was uncertain whether Yuna would attend work and he doubted she would feel like meeting him now.

The night went by smoothly with another great performance by all of them, although he was scolded a lot by Yonghwa for messing up his parts and having him to fix it spontaneously then. He only nodded and agreed with simple words, not in the mood to argue with him that night. Yonghwa must have noticed because he backed away soon after.

As he bade farewell to everyone, Jun Hee approached him.

“Oppa,” she called out. “Gwenchana?”

“Neh,” he simply replied, drawing a smile on his face so she wouldn’t worry.

She continued following him out so he wondered where she was heading to since she usually walked home with Yonghwa.

“Why are you following me?” he asked. “Aren’t you going home with Yonghwa?”

“Yonghwa oppa and I had a fight. I’m just giving him space,” she pouted.

“Wae? Why did you fight?” he stopped, truly concerned.

“Ah, it’s nothing. It’s just one of those normal arguments,” she simply said, but he could hear her holding herself back.

“Aigoo, you’ve just returned and you’re already fighting?”

Jun Hee shrugged, her eyes suddenly getting teary. Jonghyun placed his hands over her shoulders, trying to comfort her.

“Gwenchana? Don’t worry about it too much. I’m sure you guys can work this out,” he told her, pulling her in for a hug.

Just then, Yonghwa stepped out from the club and froze as he caught sight of them hugging.

“I guess you were telling me the truth then, weren’t you?” he uttered. His voice was soft, but you could still hear the sadness behind it.

Jonghyun broke apart from Jun Hee and stared cluelessly at him. He brought his gaze to Jun Hee, who seemed to be in shock over being caught hugging him.

“What truth?” he asked.

“Oppa, it’s not what it looks like,” Jun Hee told him, a hint of desperation in her voice.

“You don’t have to explain to me anymore. I get it. We’re done. That’s what you’ve always wanted since you’re back, right?”

 “Hyung!” Jonghyun blurted. He couldn’t bear to see his two best friends breaking up. “Why are you talking like that? There’s nothing going on here!”

Yonghwa glared at Jonghyun for a while then placed his attention back to Jun Hee again.

 “Jun Hee-ah, I can’t do this anymore. You’ve been gone for almost a year and now you’re back, I thought I was happy again. But then you keep meeting up with Jonghyun and ignored me half the time. What’s this Jun Hee? Why are you pushing yourself away from me?” Yonghwa sighed, demanding an explanation.

Jonghyun stared at Jun Hee, not believing any word he had just heard. “What?”

She avoided eye contact with Jonghyun, ashamed to look at him. She didn’t make an attempt to offer any explanation but instead, waited for one of the men to say something else.

“Jun Hee-ah, don’t you love me anymore?” Yonghwa finally uttered.

She lowered her head in guilt, and he could see her tears dropping. Jonghyun couldn’t bear to see Jun Hee like that, but he respected Yonghwa more and felt for him too. He turned to look at Yonghwa, who was already heartbroken.

“Hyung, mianhe,” were the only words he could say to him then.

Yonghwa let out a sarcastic laugh. “No you’re not. You like this, don’t you? I know you’ve been eyeing her ever since we dated. You can have her now.”

“Hyung!” he called out in vain as Yonghwa turned his back on him. “Hyung, don’t be like that!”

Jonghyun was left with his mouth hanging, unable to digest what had just happened. He turned slowly to look at Jun Hee, who was a mess crying her eyes out. But then he realized something. He was staring at a completely available Jun Hee. He could grab his chance right then. He could go up to her and wrapped her into his arms and they could start again. It was what he had always dreamt of.

But he didn’t feel anything towards her. He had finally moved on.