Pretty? Are You Blind?

Apartment 412

 

Yuna slung her camera bad over her shoulders and stepped out with a smile, feeling positive about her first day at work. It was total luck getting the job as a photographer for a local nightclub after bumping into a young man managing it. He had introduced himself as Lee Jungshin, and that his band was looking for cheap publicist. Since Yuna was desperate for a job, she had accepted it without thinking twice of it.

As luck would have it, she bumped into Jonghyun again in the corridor as he was leaving as well. He had his guitar with him, and his earphones were inserted. He really did look like a typical independent musician. They stared down at each other silently, and Yuna lowered her head slightly to greet him. He gave a cocky stare before he moved off towards the elevator, without responding back. She followed after him, cursing to herself for having such bad luck.

The ride down the elevator was an awkward one, with total silence filling the air. She stepped out first and quickened her steps, hoping so much that he wouldn’t be walking in the same direction. She didn’t want to turn her head yet, just in case he was still behind her so she waited till she thought she was far enough. She heard footsteps behind her though, and she slowly turned her head to check. She quickly turned back when her eyes met with his, as he walked coolly behind her.

Why was he still behind her? Wasn’t this far enough? He couldn’t possibly be going to the same place as her, right?

All sort of thoughts ran through her head as she got nearer to the club. The footsteps could still be heard so she assumed he was still behind her. As she reached the club, she patted her ear-flapped beanie nervously and flicked her necklace thrice with her fingers for good luck. It was a routine she had been doing for luck, though she knew it had never really done its magic before. It was more for a boost of confidence.

She looked around for the manager, but saw Jonghyun heading straight towards the stage. Wait a minute, was he working here as well? Her thoughts were interrupted when someone called out her name. She turned to see a gorgeous young woman smiling and waving at her.

“Annyeong! You’re Seo Yuna unni, right? I’m Lee Hyejeong! My older brother had told me that you’ll be working with us from now on,” she introduced herself brightly.

She looked too young to be working in a club like this, but the place was rather small and private. It was an underground club, with only a small stage at the front and a bar at the back. It made her wonder about the history of the club.

 “Come with me, I’ll tell you what you’re supposed to do here.”

Hyejeong wrapped her arms around her, and dragged her away to the stage, where she could see Jonghyun tuning his guitar while talking to the other people on stage.

“Basically, for now, you just need to take pictures of the band when they’re performing and then upload it onto their homepage. We’re short of manpower around here too, so you’re going to need to learn how to handle the stage and the sound system to help me out,” she explained while walking.

They stopped right in front of this handsome guy who was talking to Jonghyun, and Hyejeong called him out.

“Yonghwa oppa, come here,” she called him.

She turned to Yuna, “Unni, this is Jung Yonghwa. He’s the leader of the band and also the lead vocalist. Oppa, this is the girl who’s going to take lots of pictures for you guys. Seo Yuna.”

“Ah, I see. Annyeonghaseyo!” he gave her a warm smile. “Please take nice pictures of us!”

Yuna smiled back, glad that he seemed friendly. At least it would be easy for her to communicate around here. Her eyes unconsciously moved towards Jonghyun again, who hadn’t acknowledged her presence yet.

“That’s Lee Jonghyun. He’s our guitarist,” Yonghwa told her, obviously noticing that she was looking at him. “Jonghyun-ssi! Come here, meet our new photographer.”

Jonghyun turned, and as if he had been blind the whole time, his eyes widened in surprise when he saw her standing there.

“You! What are you doing here?” he asked as he walked up to her. “Are you following me?”

Yuna guffawed at his ridiculous comment. “I’m just working.”

“Does it have to be where I’m working?”

“Do you two know each other?” Hyejeong interrupted.

“Hyejeong-ah, she’s the girl that I was talking about! The one that banned me from practicing in my own house.”

“Yah, I’ve never banned you! I just told you to not to play too loudly! Clearly you weren’t listening, Ahjussi,” she snapped.

His jaw dropped as soon as Ahjussi came out from . He looked at Yonghwa, expecting the same reaction, but Yonghwa was stifling a laugh. Jonghyun beat him on the shoulder for laughing.

“Hyung! It’s not funny!”

“Mianhe,” he merely apologized and turned to face her again. “Seo Yuna-ssi, I like you. Come, I’ll introduce the other members to you. You can ignore Jonghyun for now.”

He called out the drummer and the bassist to the front, and they waved at her cheerfully. That’s when she realized the bassist was Lee Jungshin. That must mean that he’s Hyejeong’s older brother.

“Sorry, I was busy setting up around here that I didn’t see you come in," he told her.

Jonghyun slapped him on the shoulder, giving him a glare. “You’re the one who hired her, right? Why did you do that?”

“Why? She needs a job and she’s a good photographer. Plus, she’s pretty,” he told him.

Yuna blushed slightly at his compliment. It wasn't often that she heard such compliments. But the moment quickly 

“Pretty?” Jonghyun smirked. “Are you blind?”

Yuna gasped at his remark, but before she could get a word out, the drummer standing beside them poked in.

“Annyeonghaseyo, I’m the drummer Kang Minhyuk,” he smiled.

He had a cute smile that instantly melted away her anger. But a hand suddenly landed on her shoulder, and she jumped up slightly.

“The drummer is off-limit, just so you know,” Hyejeong added from behind her.

Yuna raised her eyebrows at Hyejeong, then at Minhyuk who seemed to be embarrassed at her added comment.

“Yah Hyejeong-ah, you don’t have to say that on our first meeting,” he told her.

“Wae? I need to warn her before anything happens. She was looking at you weirdly,” she pouted at him.

“What? No, I wasn’t! Jinjja!” Yuna asked.

“Hyejeong is my jagi, my baby, my honey!” Minhyuk exclaimed proudly, which made Hyejeong giggle and the others squirm. “There, are you happy now? She wasn’t looking at me weirdly.”

“Ara, ara!” Hyejeong gave in. “Unni, if you need any help, you can just tell me okay? This place is pretty small and we’ve only got each other around here, so we’re practically a family. So we’ll be happy to help you!”