We Want Her

Apartment 412

 

Yuna squealed in excitement as soon as the door shut behind her, touching her cheeks which were already flushed from all the emotions spurring within her. So this is what it feels like to have someone like you, she thought to herself. She bit her lips as she tried to suppress her happiness.

“I like you now.”

His voice as he said that kept ringing in her head. She rushed off to her bed and took out her phone to call her dad. Then she stopped, staring at the screen, as she realized her dad was not contactable. She sighed and lied down on her bed, holding onto her necklace.

“Appa, if only you’re here now,” she mumbled. “There’s a boy who I really like and he likes me too. How’d about that Appa? You’re happy for me, right?”

She smiled, wiping a tear off her eyes. She missed her father so much and she wished they could reunite again.

“Ah, ottoke?” she suddenly sat up. “Ah, Seo Yuna! How can you like him? He’s not someone you should be mixing with, right?”

Just then, she heard a knock on the door. She peeked through the peephole; just like what Jonghyun had once instructed her to if there happened to be a knock on her door. Seeing as it was Jonghyun, she opened the door.

“What’s up?”

He giggled and handed out his hand. Yuna stared at it blankly before he took her hand into his and dragged her out.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

He faced her and gave a warm smile. “I’d like to know you better.”

“Now? Here?”

He nodded. “Yeh! I just realized how little I know about you. I came back out immediately.”

When Yuna hesitated, he lowered his head to be on the same level as hers and pouted.

“Wae? You don’t want to get to know me better too? Don’t you want me to be your boyfriend?”

“Ani! It’s not like that!” she blurted out, a little too eagerly.

Jonghyun laughed as she seemed too afraid to lose him. It was Yuna’s turn to pout as she realized she was being teased.

“Yah!” she whined. “Don’t make fun of a girl who’s never liked anyone before!”

“Oh?” he gasped fakely. “Am I your first love?”

“What do you think?” she mumbled, folding her arms.

He laughed, amused at her cuteness. He grabbed her wrist and asked her to sit on the floor.

“Why are we sitting on the floor along the corridor?” she asked.

He shrugged. “Because I’m scared of what I might do if we’re inside together.”

Yuna stared at him wide-eyed. He laughed immediately and she could see him blushing from his inappropriate comment as he looked away from her.

“I was just joking. Mian,” he quickly apologized.

“An..aniyo, it’s fine,” she uttered. “So, what do you want to know?”

“Hmm,” he thought out loud, biting his lips as he did so. “Tell me about yourself. Your family. Your life. I want to know everything.”

“There’s really nothing interesting about me,” she said. “Only child. My mom ran away a few years after I was born. I heard it was because we were always in debt. I stopped going to school when I was 10 and lived my life escaping from thugs with my father. We’ve never stayed in the same place for more than 2 months.”

He continued to stare at her for a while after she was done talking before nodding.

“Your turn. What about you?” she asked.

“Me? Hmm, let’s see. I still have an older sister. I grew up with thugs. I spend my middle school days watching my dad beat up others. People fear me in high school because word got out about who my dad is. I met Yonghwa hyung and he introduced me to music. And here I am now.”

“Do you miss your family?” she asked.

“I miss Noona. She’s the only one who supports me,” he answered truthfully.

She gave him a sad smile before saying, “I miss Appa.”

He looked at her and placed his hand over hers. “We’ll find him.”

“We?”

“Yeh, I’m going to help you. I’m your boyfriend, aren’t I?” he smiled.

She blushed, but before she could say anything else, she was interrupted by the elevator sound. They both turned and immediately stood up as two men in black suits approached them. Jonghyun stepped in front of Yuna, hiding her from them.

“What are you doing back here?”

“We want her,” they said.