Keeping Your Head Straight

A little lighter, a little darker

     I took a deep breath as I entered the house. My mother’s house to be exact. I waved good-bye to the guys after playing some football in the park. They smiled at me and waved back. “LOVE YOU JACKSON!” I tried not to laugh and sent them a curt nod. They saw a change in me; that I like to smile now. I haven’t truly laughed but I do smile often.

    “See ya later boys!” I called back with a grin and walked fully inside, closing the door. I counted to three; right on cue there was a bark of orders, “DIANA! GET YOUR IN HERE AND HELP ME WITH THE CLOTHES! AND MOP THE FLOORS TOO!” I hissed under my breath, “What the am I? Cinderella? Psh. If only I was home…”

  I missed everyone after I left. I missed Kai the most. His smile, his laugh, his eyes, I just miss all of him. His perfections, his flaws. All of them were perfect to me. I thought of the girls who I also missed dearly. Of course, we messaged and Skyped almost every week.

  I remembered the guys too. I wondered how they were doing, besides of what the girls told me. I didn’t realize I was day dreaming until I got a light slap on my face. “Diana Jackson! Are you listening to me?!” I blinked and glowered at my mother. “What?” I asked bitterly. She tsked. “That is not how you speak to your mom. Now go clean up, before I lose my patience.”

  I scoffed. “Whatever.” I walked off to do my chores. I finished it all quickly and re-did it all just to make sure. That slap was a warning, very light. If I did something to really displease her, I got a harder slap. When I finally finished, I sighed. I got a call from Brandon. “Wassup?” I heard him laugh. “You certainly haven’t changed much Diana. We have missed you.” I rolled my eyes. “You guys told me all of this when I first came back.”

   He sighed. “I know but, you will be leaving in a week and, we just wanted to tell you again. You were the best Captain we ever had. Next to Tree.” I smiled, remembering. “Yeah, Tree was pretty good at wrestling.”

  “. Diana, he also beat you!” “Ahh shut up Calvin. No one asked you.” Brandon laughed again. “You still like to use our last names huh?” I shrugged, as if he could see me. “It’s a habit and, to tell you the truth, I missed you all too.”

   “Yeah. No one can be like you Diana. Hot, y, and dangerous.” I laughed loudly at that. “You little . You are lucky I am not there or I would teach you a lesson.” I replied. “Hey! GUYS! I actually made Diana laugh!” I heard groans and slapping. “We all betted who would be the first one to make you laugh and I WON!!” He sounded triumphant.

  I huffed. “Well then, I am never going to laugh nor smile in front of you guys ever again.” He gasped and I heard a series of “NO!”s and “AAWW COME ON JACKSON! LIVE A LITTLE!” I growled, “Hey hey hey. I am alive, If you guys keep this up, none of you will be. So shut it. I get to do whatever I want.” “DIANA!” I heard my mom yell. “WHAT?!” I screamed frustratingly at her.

  She popped her head in my room. “Don’t speak to me in that voice. Now, you missed a spot while mopping.” “How?! I’ve mopped twice!” I saw her smirk. “I have always told you, three times is the charm. So go do it.” “And your mom is still a . As always.” I heard Brandon mutter. I wanted to smile at that. “Yeah. She is alright. Hey I’ll call you back ok?” “Be careful, Jackson.” I couldn’t help but snort. “I’m always careful. Thanks anyways, Calvin.”

   “DIANA!” “OK I’LL GO MOP!” I snapped and hung up. I stood up and purposely bumped shoulders with my mother as I walked out of my room. I saw her face, looking smug and satisfied. I grabbed the mop and cleaned the whole house again.

   She watched me, always telling me I missed places or just laughing at my misery. I finished everything without exploding at her. “Good enough for you?” She scanned everything, heck I cleaned it so much that she could see herself in the wood and floor.

    She nodded. “Good enough. Tonight you cook.” She turned and left. I rolled my eyes. “She better like Kimchi Soup. “ I muttered. I looked at the clock and sighed. It was 6 PM. I wondered how everyone was doing.

   I went into my room and looked around. I had a few picture frames, now filled with pictures. A few of me and Kai, The girls and I , even all of us together. My bad twin, the giant, the puppy couple, love sick couple and the naughty and nice couple. Kai and I were beside them. We didn’t have a couple name really.

   I sighed and took out a hidden picture of me and Kai at the airport. It was the picture of where the lady took of us kissing for the last time. I sighed again. “I wish you came with me…” I whispered.

    I grew bored and decided to go to the gym, where I went to relax, and to get away from the monster. “Mother, I’m going to the gym for a bit. Bye!” I walked out in sweats and my hair tied in a tight pony tail. I jogged to the gym and opened the door. Surprisingly there was someone in the gym.

   “…” I muttered. I knew who he was, and I did NOT want to see him. I turned around to leave until, “Diana? Is that you?” “Crap..” I whispered and turned around, giving him a cold glare.

  “Yes, Jean?” He smiled shyly and rubbed the back of his neck. “uhh how are you?” Why is he acting so nice? He was never this nice when he freaking tried to beat me up. “Life’s a pain. You?” “I miss you.” I snorted. “You mean you miss trying to hit me?”

   He shook his head, his eyes wide in alarm. “No! I just miss.. you.. I’m sorry what I did.. I’m better-“ I put my hand up. “Sorry. I already have an amazing boyfriend back home.” He frowned, “Home? This is home.”

   I shook my head. “No. This place is a train wreck. The only reason I am still here is the guys and my Dad. Not you, not anyone else. So stay out of my way.” I said coldly and left the gym.

   I jogged back home and it was 7:22 PM. “Time to make dinner… Again..” I said to myself as I started to cook the soup. After I was finished and placed everything on the table I called my mom in.

   She walked in and choked. “What is that smell?!” “Kimchi soup. It’s really good.” I softly smiled. She gave me a look. “You aren’t in Korea anymore. Make normal food.” I gawked at her. “It IS real food. You said I have to cook dinner, and I cooked dinner. If you don’t want it, I’ll eat it. You can go order pizza for all I care.”

  I sat down and took a bite out of the soup. I almost smiled, it tasted perfect. Very rich also. My mom growled, “You cannot tell me what to do, honey.” Ohh crap. She called me honey… She is pissed.. It didn’t scare me though. “Well, then why are you complaining? It’s food. Aren’t you hungry? You DID give me the responsibility of cooking, and I fulfilled that order. So are you telling me to disrespect your orders?”

  My mom’s face turned red with rage. She walked over to me and slapped me across the face. Blood went down on the side of me lip. I wiped it and laughed. “Now, was that hard?” I got up. “Enjoy the meal by yourself. I’m not hungry.” Actually, I was starving. I just didn’t want her to see me in pain.

  It felt like my face was set on fire. It burned and I knew my face was red and there was a hand mark.  I left and closed my door quietly. I sat on my bed and tried not to cry. I went into my bathroom and washed my face, trying to cool it down.

   “Kai… I wish you were here with me. You could keep my head straight..” A few tears escaped and went down my cheeks.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone!!! So here is the FIRST chapter. I wanted you guys to see how life at 'home' was like for Diana. Dramatic yes.. Now, for the first few updates it will take awhile. You see, my break is almost over and I do have huge tests on the way. So study time will be upon me (sadly). I WILL be updating, but they will be hidden because if I already have two hidden at least, I will give you guys a few free updates while I write others. I hope you all enjoy this.. Idk if it is good enough. Comment if you like it please!