The Devil Knows My Name - Chapter 7

The Devil Knows My Name

Worried that Woohyun hadn't returned after going to wash the blood from his hands, Sunggyu wanted to go find him but Myungsoo would not allow it.  The younger man ordered Sunggyu to stay put while he went to find Woohyun.  He found a figure sitting on a bench outside the front of the hospital.


Woohyun was staring blankly at the ground when he felt someone sitting down on the bench beside him.  He raised his eyes and turned his head to find Myungsoo sitting next to him.

"What are you doing out here?" Myungsoo asked, before noticing the tear stains on the boy's cheeks.  "Are you crying?"

Woohyun quickly wiped his eyes with his sleeves and shook his head.  He was not expecting to see the man.

"Is something wrong?" Myungsoo asked.

Woohyun looked at the man.  There was so much he wanted to say but he was afraid to say them.  "I..." he began hesitantly.

Myungsoo raised his eyebrows waiting for the boy to finish.

Woohyun lowered his head to avoid Myungsoo's stare.  "I like you," Woohyun blurted out finally.

Myungsoo frowned in surprise at the boy's words.  He could see the boy trembling nervously.  "I'm sorry," was Myungsoo's reply.

Woohyun smiled bitterly.  It was always like this.  He had a habit of falling in unrequited love.  "Is it because you already have someone you love?"

Myungsoo nodded.

Woohyun didn't have to ask to know who the person was.  He had already witnessed it himself.  "I understand.  You've saved me twice and I never got the chance to say thank you.  Please say thank you to Sunggyu too.  Because of me, he got injured."  Woohyun got up to leave but Myungsoo stopped him.

"Wait!" said Myungsoo, holding onto the boy's arm to stop.  "You don't have to thank me.  It was Su-"

"What are you two doing standing out here?" Sunggyu interrupted the two.  "Do you both want to catch a cold?"

Woohyun looked at Sunggyu and saw his bandaged arm.  "I'm so sorry."

Sunggyu smiled.  "It's not your fault," he replied.  "It's only a scratch."

Myungsoo frowned.  "18 stitches and you're not to put stress on it," he reminded the older man.

"It's nothing," Sunggyu argued.  "Besides, we have a business to run.  I can't afford to sit around and do nothing."

Woohyun felt a pang of guilt.  "Um..."


Woohyun was walking to school the next morning when he heard a dog barking and the sound of someone running. 

"Watch out!" a voice shouted from behind him.

He turned around and saw a tall boy in the same school uniform running towards him.  The boy had tousled bed hair, his shirt was untucked with his tie was hanging loosely around his neck and he was missing a shoe.  He looked behind the boy and saw a large dog barking as it chased after the tall boy.

"He bites!" the tall boy warned as he ran passed Woohyun, showing him the rip in the sleeve of his jacket.

Woohyun looked at the dog and stepped in front of the tall boy.  The dog came to a halt in front of Woohyun.  Woohyun smiled and patted the dog until it's barking died down.  He then turned and looked at the tall boy with a smile.

"Wow! exclaimed the tall boy.  "It's like you're a dog whisperer."

Woohyun laughed at the boy's comment.  "You must have upset him," said Woohyun.

"No, he just hates me," stated the boy.  "Look at him glaring at me."  He stepped closer to the dog.  "I'm the one that feeds you, you know."

The dog barked at the boy, who jolted and hid behind Woohyun.

"Are you his owner?" Woohyun asked.

"He doesn't think so," replied the boy as he eyed the dog.

The sound of the school bell ringing alerted them that they were going to be late if they didn't hurry.  Upon hearing the bell, the dog turned and headed back home.

"We're going to be late," Woohyun reminded the boy.

"Crap!" the boy exclaimed suddenly when realisation hit him.  "My school bag!"