The Devil Knows My Name - Chapter 17

The Devil Knows My Name

Sungjong was awoken by the sound of a door slamming.  He jolted up from the sofa wondering who it was.  When he glanced over to Sunggyu's room, he noticed that the door was opened.  Curious to know who had gone out at this time of the night, he walked over to Sunggyu's room.

Upon approaching Sunggyu's door, he saw Sunggyu sitting on the bed with a knife in his chest.  Sungjong gasped in horror.  Lost in thought, Sunggyu made no attempt to stop the bleeding.  Sungjong noticed the front of Sunggyu's shirt was now stained a crimson red.

"Sunggyu," he called out, running over to the man to try and stop the bleeding.  "What happened?"

Sunggyu jolted from the trance he was in.  He looked down at the knife embedded in his chest and smiled bitterly.

Sungjong glanced around the room but found no sign of Woohyun.


Woohyun ran aimlessly through the dark and deserted streets with tears staining his cheeks.  If he knew that the truth would be so painful, he would have preferred not to have know.  As he wondered what to do about his conflicted feelings towards the older man, he suddenly came to a stop when he looked at the path ahead.


While Sungjong was in the living room on the phone to the ambulance, Sunggyu's phone buzzed on the table by the bed.  It was an unknown number but the message caught his attention.

"The ambulance is on it's way," Sungjong announced as he walked back into the room.  "I also tried calling Myungsoo but he's not answering.  Where is he anyway?"

Sunggyu hid his phone from sight.  "Don't worry about him.  We should have some pain killers in the kitchen.  Can you get it for me?"

When Sungjong quickly dashed into the kitchen searching for the pain killers, Sunggyu gritted his teeth and pulled out the knife.  Blood spurted out from the wound but he gave no thought to it as he reached for his jacket.

Sungjong returned to the room moments later to find that Sunggyu was gone.


Woohyun struggled in vain against the ropes that bound him to the pillar of an old empty building.  He looked at the group of masked men surrounding him.  Woohyun figured they were from the same group that attacked him earlier but this time, they were all armed with swords.

One of the men approached him.  "Why don't you make some noise?" he suggested.  "Otherwise, he won't be able to find you."

He? Woohyun thought with a bitter smile.  "I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.  No one's going to come."

"You have that little faith in him?" a voice asked in amusement.

The men stepped aside, clearing a path as a masked figure approached him with a sword in his hand.  From the way they lowered their heads in respect, Woohyun figured that this person was the leader of the group.

"He won't come," Woohyun stated.  Not after what I tried to do to him.

"I suppose you're right," laughed the leader.  "After all, why would the leader of the Yaksha Clan come to save the son of the man he killed?"

Their conversation was interrupted when a loud scream rang out.  They all looked towards the entrance of the building where one man collapsed to the floor with a huge gash across his back.  In his place stood a figure holding a blood stained sword in his hand.  Woohyun was shocked when he recognised the man.

The leader glared at the man standing at the door.  "If it isn't the devil himself, come to do his master's bidding yet again."

"You're mistaken," the man announced to Woohyun.  "The one who pulled the trigger and killed your father, was me."