The Devil Knows My Name - Chapter 16

The Devil Knows My Name

Amidst the chaos, Sunggyu caught sight of Woohyun looking at him with tears strolling down his face.  He wondered why Woohyun was crying until he saw the masked man holding the sword against the boy's neck.

Sunggyu's eyes narrowed in anger.  He rushed towards the Woohyun but his path was blocked by the men.  In his fit of rage, Sunggyu attacked recklessly without bothering to block.  He did not care when he received slashes and blows to his body, instead he countered with double the force aiming to knock down as many as he could.  He only had one thing in mind and that was to get Woohyun back.

When the last man fell, Sunggyu charged straight for the masked figure beside Woohyun.  Seeing the fury in Sunggyu's eyes, the masked figure whispered something to Woohyun before he fled the scene.

As much as Sunggyu wanted to stop the masked figure, his priority was with Woohyun.  He check the boy's neck and found him unscathed, however the boy's tears continued to fall.  Sunggyu pulled Woohyun into his arms and held him tight.

"I'm sorry," Sunggyu whispered.


Fearing that the masked men might attack again, Sunggyu took Woohyun with him back to his apartment.  The boy followed without a word but his quiet demeanor had Sunggyu worried.  He wondered if the boy was still suffering from the encounter.  He took Woohyun's hand and led him inside.  For a brief second, he saw the boy flinch from his touch.

Inside the apartment, they found Sungjong on the sofa watching tv with all types of snacks scattered on the coffee table.  Sungjong jumped up with excitement when he heard the door open but his face fell into a frown when he saw an unwanted guest.  He looked at Woohyun then at Sunggyu.

"What's he doing here?" Sungjong asked with dislike.

"Woohyun's going to be staying here from now on," Sunggyu announced.

Sungjong pouted.  "But your place only has two bedrooms and I've got the sofa."

"Woohyun will be with me," stated Sunggyu.  "And I told you to go home, didn't I?"

Sungjong frowned.  "Why does he get to sleep in the same bed with you and I can't?" he whined.

Sunggyu did not feel like entertaining his brother with an answer to that question.  "Where's Myungsoo?"

Sungjong shrugged and turned his attention back to the tv screen.  "He told me to leave first while he finished up at the store."


Woohyun opened his eyes, unable to sleep as he lay beside Sunggyu.  The older man could sense that Woohyun was still awake so he sat up and leaned over to look at the boy.  He noticed the troubled look on Woohyun's face.  He knew something was bothering the boy.  He reached out a hand and gently caressed Woohyun's cheek with the back of his hand.  He felt Woohyun tensing up at his touch so he abruptly withdrew his hand.

"Is something bothering you?" Sunggyu asked softly.

"Sunggyu, please be honest with me," Woohyun replied.  He took a deep breath and stared up at the older man.  "Are you the leader of the Yaksha Clan?"

Sunggyu was surprised that the boy had found out.  The one thing he wanted to hide from Woohyun yet the boy had found out.  There was no point in denying it.  "I am."

Woohyun felt his heart breaking into pieces.  He had hoped that Sunggyu would deny the accusation but Sunggyu gave him no such pleasure.  His could no longer hold back his tears.  "Why?" he asked almost pleadingly.  "Why did you kill my father?"

Sunggyu could see how hurt the boy was and it pained him to Woohyun like this.  "Woohyun, I..."

"My mother hasn't been the same since he died.  I grew up without a father," cried Woohyun.  "All because of you.  You destroyed my family!"  He held out a small knife with his trembling hand and pointed it at Sunggyu's chest.

Sunggyu made no attempt to resist.  "I'm sorry about your father," he said.  "I have no regrets dying by your hands."

Sunggyu leaned forward, making the tip of the knife touch the thin shirt he was wearing.  Woohyun was taken aback by the older man's actions.  He was torn between wanting to avenge his father and having to kill the man he loved.

Seeing the hesitation in Woohyun's eyes, Sunggyu pushed himself forward until the knife pierced his skin and entered his flesh.  Woohyun's eyes widened in shock when he saw the blood gushing out from Sunggyu's chest.