The Devil Knows My Name - Final

The Devil Knows My Name

The masked figure laughed and pulled off his mask.  "The old man adopted me to replace you but when he died he still named you as his successor," Sungjong stated, his tone full of hatred.  "And what did you do?  You disbanded the group."  He paused to glare at Sunggyu.  "If you didn't want it, you should have given it to me!"

"Does it mean that much to you to be leader?" asked Sunggyu.

Sungjong smirked.  "It doesn't matter now.  After you die, I will reunite the clan under my rule."

At Sungjong's command, two men charged at Sunggyu with their swords.  Myungsoo and Woohyun shouted for him to move out of the way but Sunggyu remained where he was, watching as the blades came down at him.  Myungsoo broke free from the two men who held him captive and he rushed towards Sunggyu.

In that moment, two figures appeared from behind Sunggyu stepped in front of him, blocking the blades with their swords.  Woohyun stared in shock when he recognised them.  One was a regular customer at the bakery and the other was his friend from school.

Sungjong glared at them before looking at Sunggyu.  "You disbanded the clan yet your loyal dogs still remain by your side."  In anger, he pressed his blade closer against Woohyun's neck, opening a deeper gash.

Sunggyu grimaced when he saw the blood trickling down Woohyun's neck.  "Wait!" Sunggyu called out.  "If you want the clan, it's yours.  Just release Woohyun."

Sungjong contemplated Sunggyu's words.  "Even if you say that, there are those who still side with you."  He glanced at the two men standing beside Sunggyu in a defensive stance.

Sunggyu glanced at Dongwoo and Sungyeol who stood beside him and ordered for them to lower their swords and step aside.  They reluctantly did as they were told. 

"We will disappear from your sight and will never intervene with any matters of the Yaksha Clan," stated Sunggyu.

"You would do anything for him?" Sungjong asked.  "Then get on your knees."

Myungsoo, Dongwoo and Sungyeol wanted to intervene but Sunggyu stopped them.  He couldn't risk any harm to befall Woohyun.  He slowly got down onto his knees.

Sungjong let out a laugh, enjoying the fact that he was in control.  He ordered one of his men to threw a sword at Sunggyu.  "If you're no longer the leader then there's no need for you to be able to hold a weapon, right?  It might be an inconvenience for you as a baker but I want to wipe the threat of you ever coming back for revenge."

Woohyun panicked when he realised what Sungjong wanted Sunggyu to do.  "Sunggyu, no!" he cried out. 

"Words are easy to say," said Sungjong.  "Show me how much he means to you.  Show me your resolve."

Despite the pleas from his three subordinates, Sunggyu reached for the sword with his left hand.  He looked at Woohyun and saw the tears strolling down Woohyun's face as the boy begged him not to do it.

He smiled at Woohyun.  "I would do anything for you."

With those words, Sunggyu held out his right arm and gripping the sword tight with his left, struck it down with a mighty swoop.  Blood gushed out as his severed right arm fell to the ground.  Myungsoo immediately rushed beside Sunggyu with Dongwoo and Sungyeol following.  Woohyun stared in horror, unable to utter a word.

Sunggyu gritted his teeth against the immense pain as he looked at Sungjong.  "Let him go!" he demanded.

Sungjong smiled and pushed Woohyun towards Sunggyu before heading for the exit.  "Kill them!" he ordered as he walked out.

Dongwoo and Sungyeol raised their swords to defend against the group advancing on them.  Myungsoo grabbed the sword in Sunggyu's hand and fought to protect him.  While the three of them battled against the group, Woohyun rushed to Sunggyu's side and held the older man in his arms.  His tears flowed uncontrollably.

"Why would you go so far for me even after what I tried to do?" Woohyun cried.

Sunggyu reached out with his left hand and gently wiped the tears from Woohyun's cheeks.  "Because I love you."

 

 

 

 

The End.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note:

This was a bit tragic.

Hope you all enjoyed it.  Thanks for reading.