The Blind Side - 8

The Blind Side

Comment or else chapter 9 ain’t comin’ :3

~

“His name is Biscuit.” Jaeyoung ran a hand through the mass of moving golden fur, smiling when a small pink tongue ran up his hand.

DuJuen stood beside the couch with her arms crossed, her eyebrows pinched almost painfully. Her dark brown eyes seemed to zero in on the dark oak door that was closed. It was the only thing separating her and her husband and the girl… Saerim.

She had watched as her husband of four years paled, and the way his eyes darted towards her gave her a clear warning; these people knew something that he didn’t.

Her stepson Woomin came home around half an hour ago, only to be sent out forcefully to play with his friends. He left pretty willingly though, so that bought them some more precious time.

“So, how old is your stepson?” he tried to ask, making light conversation.

“He’s eleven turning twelve in three months. How old is your sister?” she gestured towards the door. Jaeyoung frowned. DuJuen was being unnecessarily unpleasant. It wasn’t like Sae Rim was going to become a home wrecker and steal him away, for god’s sake, she was barely seventeen.

“Sixteen.” Was his curt answer.

DuJuen wasn’t planning on answering any time soon, and the door slid open anyway, and a red-eyed Minsoo came out, with Sae Rim following, hot on his heels.

Her eyes were a light grey due to her blindness, and they stared straight forwards, the only sound coming from her white balled cane.

Minsoo went straight to his wife, sweeping her up in a big hug. She didn’t even ask what was wrong, nor did she feel embarrassed to be in such an intimate pose in front of strangers; she just knew he needed her.

[Half an hour before]

The loud scraping of the chair was the only thing that indicated to Sae Rim that Minsoo was back. “Sorry, my son is home. He’ll be in his room in a minute.”

Sae Rim nodded, waiting patiently with her wrists and ankles crossed. “You may start.” Minsoo urged, but only received a sly smile in return. “Not until your son leaves this room.” Woomin’s eyes grew in size, and he quickly walked out with a cup of water.

“How did you-“ Minsoo started.

“Being a blind person may not enhance your senses like most people say, but rather it makes you more aware that they are there. Your son breathes very loudly.” She grinned, and sipped her tea, wincing at the strong taste.

“My name is Kang Sae Rim, and as I have mentioned before, I know Lee ChanHee.” All was quiet in the room, and the former Teen Top leader sighed.

“How?”

“… This is going to sound unbelievable, and trust me, I was pretty shocked when I found out too, but I see him in my dreams. He’s… the same, according to him, the same he always was. Shiny eyes, straight white teeth,” she waved her hand in the air, “I’m sure you know well.”

Before he could say anything, she continued. “I’m not here to ruin your family or anything, but he asked me to tell you that he’s been looking over you and your family, as well as his friend’s families.”

Again, he asked the same question. “How?”

She drew out a sheet of paper with Braille on it and ran her fingers lightly over the dents. “A few weeks ago,” Sae Rim ran her whole palm on the sheet. “You went to his grave, with your other dongsaengs. You held a bouquet of yellow roses. ChanHee saw you, and he saw Niel too.”

A tiny whimper came out of Minsoo, and although Sae Rim tried to keep her cool, collected composure, she just couldn’t.

Oh how she wished ChanHee were a moving ghost, and he was able to stand at her shoulder, whispering words in her ear with his high, melodious voice.

Sae Rim placed her small hand on his calloused one, and she continued in an even voice. “He, ChanHee wants you to know that he hasn’t aged at all, and that he’s alright, and that he’s,” she blushed, “my boyfriend.”

“What?” she was startled by Minsoo’s sudden question.

“ChanHee…” he cleared his throat, not used to saying his deceased friend’s name. “H-he’s your boyfriend?” A sceptic look passed his face. He didn’t not believe that she was dating him, he just didn’t think it was right.

His distaste and hesitancy was almost tangible. “I may not be any relative of yours, and this is our first meeting, but he is a ghost. The way… this circumstance that you two meet under is very strange, so are you completely sure you know what you’re doing?”

Minsoo looked at her when she had no answer to his question.

“To be honest, no.” her voice wavered.

“Mr. Bang, I haven’t seen a face since I was born. I have never seen my mother’s face, my father’s, and my oppa’s. ChanHee was the only human I have ever seen in my life. He might look like a demon and be one and I wouldn’t know it.” she sighed.

“He has been wonderful to me, and I can honestly say that I think I am in love with him.”

Minsoo stared and stared. She did seem like the type of girl Chunji would like, but now? Via… her dreams? He wanted to believe she was lying, that she was some fan that had reached him somehow, but it was like his dongsaeng was right behind him – like an invisible – breeze, urging him on.

“Alright, what do you need me to do?”

Sae Rim sniffed, “Where does this… Lee Byunghun live?”

“Apgujeongdong.” He laughed, “You know, the rich district. The bastard moved there with his girlfriend a few years ago.”

“Can you come and speak with him with me?”

Minsoo shook his head, forgetting that she couldn’t see. “Ah you see, though I’m still trying to battle this out in my head, I’m giving you the time of day to speak about it. Our L.Joe is very different story. He’s very difficult to deal with - very stubborn. If you would like to start with the easiest one out of all of us, I suggest you go to Ricky.”

She was quiet for a moment before agreeing. “Deal.”

He shook her small hand. “Well then, I’ll see you soon.”

-

As Sae Rim and her brother sat on the subway, she leaned her head on the glass and stared into the darkness.

A small smile graced her lips, and she whispered to her lover, “I did it.”

“Thank you, I’ll see you soon.”

-------

I will still update every now and then, but only if I get comments.

Dunno if it’s just the holidays, but no one comments anymore, and I’ve quite a few subscribers for this piece of fiction, so if I don’t get enough comments, I’m going to eat you guys.

With tomato sauce.

And soup.

And I will enjoy it.

Rawr.