The Blind Side ~ 7

The Blind Side

 

“Uhh… Teen Top sang Clap, Supa Luv, and No More Perfume.” Sae Rim’s brother clicked on the search engine DeltaOne.

Sae Rim nodded and urged her brother to keep going. He shot her a look which of course she couldn’t see and clicked the link. “They debuted in 2010. There were six members… and one died like two years after they debuted.”

He shook his head, “How sad.” Sae Rim ducked her head down to hide a knowing smile from her brother.

It had been sixteen years since ChanHee had died, and everything had changed. North and South Korea engaged in war again, and the US of A used that as incentive to plant a nuclear bomb on the north side of Pyong Yang.

There was another economic crisis, but the world recovered from that very well, as well as another four new diseases and the establishment of a base on Mars. Google crashed and in turn was replaced by DeltaOne.

ChanHee knew all. After all, he could see everything but people’s faces. With Sae Rim however, he started to understand what he had truly missed.

For the past three days, Sae Rim had been bugging her brother to search the web for news on the whereabouts of the last five members of Teen Top.

So far, she had found out that CAP, the leader and the oldest had married young, at the age of twenty four while he had joined a new group, DisQue. They had a child who was now eleven and he had divorced her then remarried to another model, one year older than him.

Niel, the main singer was still singing and acting in small dramas. He had tried to establish himself in the musical theatre region but instead decided to stick with the Korean Pop culture.

Ricky and L Joe had dived in mainstream, moving to the US for a while and joining underground but still we known rap and dance groups.

Changjo joined a new agency, and in turn was able to join a new group. Now, he was the leader of one of the groups who led the Hallyu wave after the seniors and legends like Super Junior, Infinite and Big Bang were over.

The night she found out all this, she visited ChanHee again, and he was so happy to know that s and friends had moved on as best as they possibly could.

Now, it was time for phase two of his plan.

“…do you know where they live?” she asked, leaning her head on the table. As a result of oversleeping, she had made herself even more tired.

“Wae?” her brother tapped her leg. Sae Rim’s behaviour was well past weird, and things were really starting to creep him out.

“If you wanna be fan girly for some band, at least choose one that’s famous now.” Her brother left the room after patting her head and closed the door, leaving Sae Rim to think by herself.

An hour later, he came back with a sheet of paper with a few lines of Braille printed on it. Sae Rim’s delicate fingers brushed over the dents and she smiled; they lived very close to her. That was good, it would make her job so much easier.

“Oppa. Come with me.” Her brother’s surprise was almost tangible. She felt him lean down and place his face near hers. Sae Rim smiled widely, trying to persuade him without a single word.

A sigh. “Alright.” She cheered. This was going to be great news for Chan Hee, she couldn’t wait to see him in her dreams again.

This trip was a once in a lifetime chance. Sae Rim still couldn’t believe it. Here she was, dating a ghost and now she was going to visit his mature, older friends? His band mates some fifteen or so years ago?

“We leave now.”

-

“Coming!” DuJuen ran to the door, patting her hands dry on her rose-coloured apron.

She ripped the door open, and at once, her brilliant smile was wiped off her face. A girl with dark shades and an older man stood together, watching her. The girl held a white stick while the boy guided and held her by the elbow.

“…Neh?” She asked, not recognising these people.

“Anneyeonghashimnika. I’m Jaeyoung and this is my sister, Sae Rim. We’re here to see Mr Bang Minsoo.” DuJuen her lips.

“I’m his wife, Bang DuJuen.” She let them in cautiously. Minsoo hadn’t mentioned that he was having guests today.

DuJuen walked into the kitchen. “Yeobo?” she called and a voice answered her loudly. Sae Rim and her brother’s heads turned simultaneously towards the sound even though the latter couldn’t see anything.

Sae Rim stood up. “Anneyeonghashimnika. I’m Kang Sae Rim. Are you Bang Minsoo?” The man was taken aback with the straight forward-ness of the girl.

Her brother stood up, trying to defend his blunt sister, but Sae Rim held him down. “I’ll take that as a yes. Do you remember Lee Chan Hee?”

It was silent for a long time.

Jaeyoung looked at Minsoo carefully, noting down how pale and stiff he went. “Of course.” His voice was hoarse.

“Of course.” He tried again.

“…who are you?” Sae Rim smiled and looked up at the direction of the voice.

“I’m blind, but I see him.” An incredulous laugh erupted out of Minsoo and Jaeyoung, who turned to stare at her.

Sae Rim frowned. “Please don’t laugh. I see him every night and we talk.” Minsoo scoffed. She sighed. This was turning out to be harder than she thought it would be.

Chan Hee owed her.

“You need to leave.” Minsoo sternly voiced, this girl was unnerving both he and his wife, and he didn’t like it one bit.

After some consideration, Sae Rim stood up, reached for Jaeyoung and walked towards the door. Her brother whispered in her ear urgently, “You’re going to give up? After everything?” she simply smiled.

Just as they walked out the door, she turned back and said some words that Chan Hee told her to repeat if worse came to worse. “You remember Bada? He told me to tell you about her collar. He said that he was sorry and that he was the one who accidentally broke it but never told you.”

Jaeyoung stared at his sister in wonder and then glanced at the frozen back of the former leader of Teen Top, Bang Minsoo.

He turned, his voice shaking with unknown emotion. “I don’t know what he means,” Sae Rim said, shrugging lightly. She slowly stepped down the concrete steps. “But he said you’d understand.”

Minsoo walked up to her and lightly placed his hand on her shoulder. Sae Rim smiled to herself.

Minsoo looked at his wife and Jaeyoung, then at the girl who brought all this back to him.

“I think we need to talk.”