The Blind Side ~ 5

The Blind Side

The cool river looked like it was there to accommodate the girl.

Crisp, green grass surrounded her, tickling her bare skin.

The swift breeze tousled her curly bangs, sending them to the side of her face.

Sae Rim smiled, her eyes seeing absolutely nothing.

She had asked her brother countless times to describe the river to her, and now, she could paint the perfect image of it in her head.

It was the only place that could offer her peace and quiet, and since she could not see, her ears were always busy, listening to people talk, listening for sounds she hadn’t heard before.

But here, it was like her whole body shut down.

Slowly, as time ticked by, Sae Rim’s eyes fluttered close, even though there was no difference, closing them seemed like rest.

And then she slept.

For a while it was just darkness, like it usually was, but this time round, in her dreams she saw a door.

Curiosity overtook the girl and she opened it, marvelling at the bright white light that shone upon her face and arms.

She took it all in as quietly as she could, there was nothing, absolutely nothing. Her feet made their way to the centre of the room, and slowly, she began to turn.

Her arms flung out to the side, the joy of being able to see taking over her soul. A delighted little giggle made its way out of , and she finally laughed, after so long. It was pure bliss.

But then, she stopped.

Hairs at the back of her head prickled. Someone was watching her, and she could feel it.

She turned around and stared straight into a pair of big brown eyes. Her breathing caught – this was not possible!—though she wasn’t even sure what was anymore…

He stood there, as graceful as a swan. His hands were folded delicately behind his back, and a black suit he wore. Sae Rim froze. Such elegance was not possible, and yet, she had seen him somewhere before…

“In my dreams.” Three words spilled out of , and she hurriedly covered it, a blush spreading across her fair cheeks.

His eyes widened in utter surprise and then settled back into the calm expression he had before.

To him, her voice was just as he expected and more, the way she had a lilt to her words, almost foreign, but still incredibly natural.

ChanHee looked at her, she basked in a glow, something seemed to radiate from her, a warm, comforting feeling that filled him up. Her eyes weren’t big and round, they were crescent and seemed to always  smile.

When he was still alive and famous, people used to always say his eyes were the prettiest things. But this girl, this goddess in front of him proved them wrong.

It was like there was a magnet, drawing the two together. She made her way across to him, and he caught her in his arms when she stumbled. On impulse, his hand brushed away the loose curls that escaped her hair band.

And then, in a split second, both made the decision, and they closed the gap.

Their lips touched, and they kissed.

It wasn’t mind blowing, it wasn’t passionate or heated, it was simple.

And yet this single kiss connected the two in a way that no one could ever describe. From that moment, they knew they were meant for each other.

It was more than just love, neither wanted to be just boyfriend and girlfriend, matrimony wasn’t even enough.

It was like their souls needed to be wound together.

Sae Rim pulled away and laid her head on the boy’s chest, feeling his rapid heartbeat thump beneath his skin. His arms s their way around to her waist, holding her close to him. He never wanted to let go.

“Kang Sae Rim.” She murmured, letting him know her name.

Against all odds, she had chosen to kiss this utter stranger, it wasn’t a spur of the moment thing, she knew it was what she had to do. It was what she wanted.

A chuckle built its way up his chest and she smiled, hearing his voice.

But suddenly, a jolt shook the place, and Sae Rim found herself being dragged away by an invisible force towards the door she had entered.

Her lover’s smile disappeared, and she saw him desperately try to run towards her but also, being blocked by some sort of shield.

Tears built their way to her eyes, she had waited for so long to meet this boy again and now, not only was she being dragged away against her will, she didn’t even know the boy’s name or age.

“Your name!” she screamed, attempting once more to make her way back to him. Both their hands reached out, as if they were touching each other.

“…Lee.” The image began to fade, and Sae Rim screamed no, over and over again.

“ChanHee.” The image disappeared, and she woke up in a puddle of sweat and tears.

“Sae Rim.” Her brother’s concerned voice reached her ears and in a short moment, she was outraged. But then, she understood the purpose her brother had of waking her up and she smiled at him.

She was supposed to be angry, she was supposed to scream and wail, but no she didn’t, because she had his name.

As she walked back, she chanted his name over and over again to herself, a smile dancing across her face.

Lee ChanHee, Lee ChanHee.

Sae Rim slept peacefully that night, a single thought in her head.

I’m in love.