The Bind Side ~ 2

The Blind Side

 

“Sae Rim-ah!” an old lady called out, running through the streets with her small feet.

A young girl turned around, she was just sixteen, and today was her birthday.

“Neh ajhumma?” her face stretched into a beautiful smile and the old lady laughed.

“You know how to make an old lady happy Sae Rim-ah.” The lady handed her a parcel and patted her head.

Kang Sae Rim wasn’t exactly a natural beauty, but she wasn’t too bad either, she had this essence that made people like her on the spot.

Sae Rim felt someone drape themselves over her small frame.

“Happy birthday my dear dongsaeng!” she giggled as her older brother tickled her sides, and added another parcel on top of the one she was holding.

“Kamsahaeyeo oppa, what is it?” she traced the outline of her present with the tips of her fingers, smiling even wider when she felt a butterfly shape.

She felt her oppa kiss her cheek and take her hand. “Ah Sae Rim, I can’t tell you yet! You have to wait till you get omma and appa’s.”

Together they left for home, with her brother guiding Sae Rim carefully.

If only I could see you, I would be able to show you how much I love you.

Sae Rim only saw darkness, since she was born.

If her parents had enough money, they would’ve been able to give her surgery, and now that they did, Sae Rim didn’t want it.

She thought that her life was fine the way it was, that it was God’s will to make her blind and leave her that way.

Besides, it would only take another lifetime to get used to all the new things she’d be experiencing.

A cold wind brushed against her, and she shuddered, shuffling closer to her brother.

Suddenly, as she turned around to fix her blouse, she thought she saw something. It was a slight silhouette, but it was there.

Sae Rim froze in the middle of the street, her hand slipping from her brothers grasp.

“Sae Rim? Gwenchanayeo?” he asked her and she shivered.

“It was him.” She whispered, staring at the place she thought she saw him.

Her brother stiffened. “Him?”

“Neh, the one I told you about,” Her brother shook his head and took her hand again.

“Sae Rim-ah, I told you there’s no one there.” Sae Rim frowned, she was sure of it, she had only seen him once before, but since he was the only thing she had ever seen, she remembered everything.

Her brother tugged on her hand and she unwillingly followed.

I found you.