The Bunny

Behind That Bright Smile [Sequel to Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses]

 

✻ chapter six:
the bunny
eun mi's pov
 

The bus ride lasted for approximately five minutes before it reached its destination. As Zelo dragged me off and onto the sidewalk, the bus driver looked back at us suspiciously.

"Hey, aren't you kids supposed to be in school right now?" He asked us.

"Uh..." I stuttered. I had totally forgot about our uniforms, which identified which school we went too. Great, we were going to be busted.

Before I could finish my thoughts, Zelo took my wrist and pulled me away from the bus and down the streets, ignoring the bus driver's question. "Whatever, we don't have to tell him."

 I wriggled my fingers, still surprised Zelo had such a strong grip. "Zelo, we have to go back. What if people recognize you?"

"Nobody will recognize me." He protested. He saw something across the street and pointed. "Look! Let's go to that arcade! It's dark inside so nobody can see us clearly!"

I reluctantly followed him into the dimly lit arcade, called VIXX Arcade: Rock Ur Body, and past the entrance, but only because I didn't want to be left all by myself out here. "Arasseo... But only for a little while, okay?"

The maknae didn't answer and sat down at a random game screen thing with a bunch of colorful buttons. "Let's play this one, Eun Mi!"

I sighed and sat down next to him. "Just warning you; I'm horrible at video games!"

"I don't care," Zelo smiled at me before pressing the 'start' button. "Just have fun!"

 

-- --

 

"Warrior

Taeyangarae neoreul matgyeobwa

Nae gaseume bureul jipyeobwa

Digidigideom digidigideom

Warrior

Chongalboda jomdeo ppareuge

Nigaseume pago deureoga

Digidigideom digidigideom

Nogeul joyeoganda..."

 

"Ha!! I won again! That makes it six to zero!"

"That's not fair! You know this dance by heart and I can't even do a spin without falling over!"

After playing several arcade games, we decided to play some rounds of Dance Dance Revolution, which was sitting in the back of the arcade. The system had B.A.P. songs and we had just 'danced' to Warrior. I may be L.Joe's girlfriend, but I cannot dance. At all, period.

Zelo jumped up and down childishly. "Still!! I won!"

"Fine." I laughed. If you're wondering about the other video games we played... let's just say all I did was push the big red button repeatedly, no matter what game it was. That's how big of a fail I am at video games.

We exited the arcade after playing to our heart's content for several hours and walked down the street, which was full of small shops and stores. Zelo looked around and saw something. He took my hand again and dragged me over to a crate on display in a nearby shop.

"Noona, look!" He whispered excitedly, pointing at the objects in the crate. "Cherry tomatoes!!"

I whispered back. "What about them?"

"Can we buy some, noona? I really like cherry tomatoes." He pleaded in a whisper.

"Okay. But why are we whispering?"

"I don't know. Do you have money, noona?"

He let go of my hand and I searched my schoolbag for any change. "No... I left my wallet at home."

Zelo pouted. "B-b-but... The cherry tomatoes!!"

"I'm sorry, I'll buy you some next time." I said, feeling bad.

Zelo sighed and hung his head down. I didn't like seeing him like this, so I reached into a crate and took a handful of the fruit/vegetable/unicorn. He looked up in curiosity at me as I put them into my pockets.

"What are you...?"

"Shh... You said you wanted them really badly right? I guess taking some wouldn't hurt..." I winked at him.

He smiled. "Thanks, noona-"

"Ya! I saw that!" The owner of the shop, a fairly middle-aged woman wearing an apron, came out and pointed accusingly at  me. "Put those back where they belong!"

I took Zelo's wrist and began to run in the opposite direction. "Now is our cue to run and get the flip out of here!"

He nodded and we ran away from the shop. The old ahjumma, being old and couldn't chase after us, stood there shouting. "Ya! Someone stop those students playing hooky! They stole my food!"

Of course, nobody was outside to hear her but we continued to run, just in case. After turning a corner, we finally collapsed against a brick wall and started to giggle.

"Wow, I can't believe you just did that, noona!" Zelo said in between pants.

"I can't believe I just did that either!!" Skipping school and stealing innocent people's food... At this point, I didn't really care how crazy I was.

Keeping an eye out for the old ahjumma, we walked down the street in the opposite direction, quietly eating the stolen tomatoes. And if you're wondering, yes, the cherry tomatoes were delicious. Are you jealous?

Zelo popped the last cherry tomato in his mouth and pointed again, this time at a pet shop. "Noona, look! Bunnies!"

I giggled and we walked up to the window. Behind the display glass was a cage of bunnies. There were four of them, prancing around in their secluded space; one was pure white, one was golden brown, and the other two were a light gray color.

The maknae crouched down, fascinated by the furry creatures. "Wow, they're so small!"

I leaned down next to him. "And very cute too!"

"Which one do you like, noona?" He asked, his eyes never leaving the bunnies before him.

"The white one." I answered. As if it could hear me, the white bunny swiveled it's head around and stood up against the glass, it's nose sniffing the air and it's whiskers twitching, as if to say Who are you and why is your big fat face blocking my window?

"Why?"

"Why? Um..." What a weird question to ask, Zelo. "It has the fluffiest fur, don't you think? White as snow... It's pretty."

The golden bunny buried it's head in the corner, ashamed of not having white fur and jealous of the white bunnie's attention. Zelo nodded his head.

"What about you? Which one do you like?" I asked back.

He stared at the bunnies for a while before answering. "I like the gray ones. They aren't the prettiest bunnies but they're very close to each other. Just by looking at them, you can tell they're a pair and do everything together."

He tapped the glass gently and the two bunnies fled to the far side of the cage, burying their heads together, their tails puffing out and their ears bent.

I looked over at him. He looked happy and content, watching the bunnies jump around in their cage. Who knew he had this sort of side to him? "You're right."

"I'm going to call the gray bunnies Rice and Kimchi." Zelo said. "You can't have kimchi without rice and vice versa.

I giggled at his cuteness. It was hard to choose who was cuter; the bunnies or him....

Nah, it's easy: definitely Zelo.

"Then I'll call the white one Chopstick Number One and the brown one Chopstick Number Two." I told him. "You can't eat any yummy rice and kimchi without chopsticks!:

He laughed. "We're so creative, aren't we?"

"Yep, a real J.K. Rowling." I joked. I grew quiet for a moment, thinking about today. "Zelo, why did you want to come here?"

"I felt bad for asking you about... Seohyun yesterday. I wanted to make it up for you." He said.

"You didn't have to do that!" I said.

"I know. I wanted to." The maknae smiled his cute smile again. "Plus, I get to skip school!"

I couldn't help but smile at this kid's adorableness and cuddle-ness. He was so thoughtful. "Thank you. I had lots of fun today."

"I did too." 

At this time, the person working at the counter of the pet shop came outside. She was a fairly tall girl, with milky white skin, shoulder length hair, and sparkling eyes. The nametag on her work-apron said 'Sulli' on it.

"Can I help you with something?" She asked us.

"Oh, no. We were just looking..." I said, getting up.

She nodded. "Do you and your boyfriend want to feed the bunnies?"

Zelo's head whipped over to face us. "Did you just call me her boyfriend?!"

"Don't be embarassed, you guys are cute together." The girl called Sulli said. 

"We're just friends." I said lamely, shaking my head.

"Sure you guys are." Sulli winked cutely at me. "So do you want to feed them?"

"Nah, we're fine." Zelo said, standing up with me. "It's about time for us to leave, anyways."

I had totally lost track of time! Checking my iPod quickly, I found out school was going to end soon. We were having so much fun, I hadn't realized how fast time went by. 

"Alright then." Sulli said before going back in. "Have a nice day!"

I nudged Zelo's shoulder. "Let's go back to school and meet up with the others there."

"Okay." He agreed. "Let's go!"

 

-- --

 

By the time Zelo and I reached the school campus, school was already finished and the students were filing out to go home. I spotted the big group of Teen Top and B.A.P. over in a corner and we ran over to them. As soon as L.Joe saw me, he started freaking out.

"Eun Mi! Where have you been? Do you know how worried I was when you didn't show up to school today? Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere? Did anything happen?" A gazillion questions were sent to me and my brain malfunctioned, trying to answer them all. L.Joe showed concern in his eyes as I approached him.

"You didn't have to worry, I'm okay, I'm not hurt anywhere, nothing happened." I answered. "I was with Zelo."

"You were with Zelo?! I knew it, once you two were gone I knew something was wrong." He exclaimed, turning to his cousin. "What did you do to her?"

"I didn't do anything!" Zelo said. "We were just... having fun."

"You guys were playing hooky?" Yongguk said sternly. "Zelo..."

He was interupted by a jumpy Niel, shoving his phone in our faces. "Look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look look-"

I backed away and focused on the screen. I grabbed his arm to stop him from waving the phone around so I could actually see what he was trying to get me to look at.

He had opened an article from an internet website all about kpop and kpop idols and such, perfect for sasaeng fans (who I don't really like, by the way). At the top of the article, in bold lettering, was this:

 

"Zelo of B.A.P. is in a Relationship??

Is the maknae rapper of the new rookie group B.A.P. in a relationship? Choi Joon Hong, or better known as his stage name Zelo, was sighted on what seems like a date with a girl on the streets of Namsan... (click here to read more)"

>>insert picture of Zelo and Eun Mi holding hands running away with cherry tomatoes in their pockets here<<

 

A silence crept onto the scene, the only noises were made by the students nearby, checking their phones and undoubtedly reading the same article as we were. My gaze slowly shifted from the phone to L.Joe, who was as shocked as I was. My second day of knowing Zelo... and there was already a scandal? 

Why must my life be like this!?