The Unexpected

Behind That Bright Smile [Sequel to Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses]

 

✻ chapter thirteen:
the unexpected
eun mi's pov
 

 

"The predicted forecast for this week is cold, under sixty-five degrees, with cloudy skies-"

Click.

"A few pigs that have ran away have been spotted in the northern part of Namsan. If you have seen them, please-"

Click.

"The sitcom Behind the Bright Smile will be put on hiatus and will stop airing until-"

Click.

Himchan clicked the black button on the remote, changing the channel for the hundredth time. He sighed. "There's nothing to watch! The only things that are on are the news and kid cartoons."

"I want to watch the cartoons!" Zelo said, taking the device away from Himchan. "Can we?"

"No. Give it here." Yongguk snatched the remote from him and pointed it at the TV. He flipped through a few more channels until a loud BOOM emitted from the speakers, followed by a few more explosions. "Ooh, a war movie! Let's watch this!"

I peeked at the three people from behind my math textbook, too distracted  to focus on the math equations. After I had visited L.Joe's mother, I had gone back home where the three blondies were crowded in front of the TV, as usual. Trying to get my mind out of things, I decided to study but it wasn't working.

"Yongguk-hyung, why do like watching war movies so much?" Zelo asked.

"Because... all the answers to life's questions are in war movies." The leader replied, eyes not leaving the screen when a big explosion was heard.

Himchan's eyes lit up. "So, are you saying killing people is the solution to everything?"

"Yes... wait, no-"

"Hey, Zelo, did you hear that? If you ever get on my nerves," Himchan turned to the maknae. "I will pull out a gun and shoot you. I have permission."

"Not unless I shoot you first!" He said.

"Guys, you know that's not what I meant!" Yongguk sighed.

If I heard this conversation yesterday, I would chuckle and laugh at their naive comments. But after talking to Mrs. Lee, I saw Zelo as a whole different person in a whole new light.

He was the son of the owners of Jellco Corporations. The Jellco Corps, who have been in a competition with SeoMate Company, Seohyun's parent's company. In software programs, marketing tactics, everything; the two companies have been at a cut-throat competition and neither of them wanted to lose to the other.

I remember Seohyun telling me something about this, but I'm not sure. She's only brought it up once or twice because she wasn't comfortable talking about it. Was it in second grade? I don't remember...

 

"Eun Mi!" 

"What?" I asked, swinging back and forth on the swing as the kid-version of Seohyun ran up to the kid-version of me in the park.

"My parents are making me take over the company once I'm old enough." She said, pouting and plopping down on the swing next to mine. "Even if I don't want to!"

"But you can't! You're going to become a famous singer!" I said.

"I know!" She made a face. "You know that one company that my parents hate since the owners are their enemies? Turns out they have a son and he's going to manage the business once he's older too."

"Does that mean you two will become enemies like your parents and his parents?"

"Probably." She sighed. "He must be a genius. How can I ever go against him?"

"I don't know..."

 

Yep, definitely second grade. She was so upset about it, she wouldn't sing anything for a week. Her parents made her stay at home to study all night long too.

"Hyung, quiet down! Eun Mi noona is trying to study over there!" Zelo's voice popped me out of my thought bubble.

"You're the one talking as loud as a whale!" Himchan retorted.

Yongguk sighed and pulled the pretty boy up by with arm. "Fine then, let's go watch it over at my place."

"Yeah, then we don't have to see Zelo's ugly face any longer." Himchan stuck his tongue out childishly as Zelo stepped on his foot.

"Fine then, go! Get out of here!" He cried, pushing his hyungs out the door and shutting the door closed. "Sorry about that, noona. We must be annoying, right?"

"Huh?" I said. "Oh, it's alright. I couldn't focus anyways..."

"Well, if that's the case..." He stretched his arms. "Then I'll get back to watching my cartoons..."

Now there was nobody else here, only Zelo and I, alone. It suddenly dawned to me that I could ask him about the one question that has been on my mind for the past hour.

I watched him as he sat back down again, turning on Pororo. "Zelo...?"

"Yeah?" He said, not turning around though. 

It was now or never. Ask him. "Zelo... you know who Seohyun really is, don't you?"

He turned around quickly, his eyes widened. "Eh?"

I took a deep breath and tried again. "That time you asked me about Seohyun... you already knew about her, didn't you?"

There was an uncomfortable silence before he answered, the smile on his face faltering. "I... yeah."

It was true. "Why didn't you tell me? That you were the rival of my best friend?"

"Because I didn't want you to think of me as an enemy?" He said, in the form of a question once again, showing me that he was unsure of how to answer me. 

What did he mean by that? Was he going to blackmail me or try to mess up my life like the Jung Twins? "Zelo, you-"

"Just because I'm her rival, does that make me the bad guy? What if I want to be friends with her, or you?" He said, cutting me off.

I was taken aback at his response. "No, I was just... thinking about how long were you going to wait before telling me."

He sighed. "I didn't want to tell you so soon, since we just met, but I guess I have to tell you."

"Tell me what?" I looked at the maknae before me. He didn't look like the cute and adorable rapper anymore. Instead he had this somewhat serious expression on his face that made me wonder what he was talking about.

"Eun Mi, the real reason why I'm here, in this apartment with you, is because I need your help."

My help? "What?"

"It's about Seohyun... well, actually it's about her family's company, SeoMate, but then it includes her, so I guess it is about Seohyun..." He trailed off. "Anyways, the point is, I need your help."

"What do you mean?" I asked again.

"I need you to help me break into Seohyun's parent's company."

Okay, I did not expect that. "Say what?!"