The Parents

Behind That Bright Smile [Sequel to Behind the Thick-Framed Glasses]

 

✻ chapter one:
the parents
eun mi's pov

 

"L.Joe, I'm going to go home, okay?"

"Okay, just wait for me so I can walk you home."

"Arasseo."

It was a sunny Sunday evening. After my morning shift working at Namsan Delights, I had hung out at L.Joe's house. Changjo and Sooyoung were at another dance practice and the rest of Teen Top were being their weird selves.

"Oppa, balli!" I cried to him. He was in his room, putting on a coat or something. I opened the front door and stepped outside, only to bump right into someone. I bounced off their chest and with a small yelp I fell to the ground.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" I said, quickly getting up on my feet and bowing. "I didn't see you there, I'm sorry..."

I looked up at the person I had bumped into. It was a tall man with black hair and a big build, wearing a black suit and fancy shoes and a tie. 

"It's alright." The man said. A woman in a cream white dress and high heels, so high she was practically on stilts, came up from behind him. She looked very young and had luscious long dark brown hair that layered in curls.

"Oh? Who is this young lady?"

"I..." I didn't know how to respond. Who were these people and why were they wearing such expensive clothes?

"Okay, I'm ready. Let's go-" L.Joe came out from his room and was putting on his sweatshirt. He stopped in the middle of putting his left arm in the sleeve and stared at the people in front of me.

My jaw dropped to the floor at what he said next.

"Umma? Appa? What are you doing here?"

 

-- --


"Umma, appa, this is Eun Mi. She's my girlfriend."

After finding out they were L.Joe's parents, they invited me to stay for awhile. I tried to deny but of course they made me stay. So here I am, sitting at a table and having an awkward conversation with his parents.

"Aigoo, she's so cute!" His mother exclaimed in a high voice.

I blushed. "T-thank you."

"Whoever knew my son would bring home such a pretty girl?" His father teased.

L.Joe turned a little red. "Dad!"

"What? You never bring any of your friends home to meet us, let alone a girl." His father grinned and turned to face me. "Sorry for not properly introducing ourselves. Call me Mr. Lee."

"And I'm Mrs. Lee." His mother flashed a smile.

"I'm Park Eun Mi." I said as politely as I could, wanting to leave a good impression. "It's nice to meet you."

I had never expected to meet L.Joe's parents... not this soon, anyways. What if... what if they didn't like me? What if they didn't think I was good enough? What if the same thing that happened to Seohyun happened to L.Joe?

"What are you doing here?" Mrs. Lee asked.

"I...uh..." I fumbled with the end of my shirt. "We were just hanging out..."

"Aw, look, she's blushing!" L.Joe's mom squealed, making me blush even more.

"Well, we're glad you guys are helplessly in love," Mr. Lee winked at me, "but we need to ask you some questions."

"Q-questions?" I asked nervously.

"Like an interview. Just to see if my little wittle cuddy wuddy teddy weddy baby made a wise choice in choosing you." Mrs. Lee cooed.

"Mom!" L.Joe was pretty pink in the face too. "Stop embarassing me!"

I giggled at the sight. It was very rare to see L.Joe blush and act all flustered. "Okay..."

Mr. Lee leaned over the table with his elbows supporting him. "Question number one: How did you guys meet?"

I looked over at L.Joe and smiled. "I go to the same school as him. He's in almost all my classes."

His dad nodded. "Question number two: What is your status at school?"

"I used to be known as the school nerd..." I replied shyly. This wasn't something I was proud of.

"Really?" Mrs. Lee asked. "Then... answer this question for me: A daughter of a very wealthy family recieves her monthly allowance. Assume last year she had no money and has kept what she has until now. She spends 1/2 of her money on clothes, 1/3 of the remaining money on games, and then 1/4 of the remaining money on toys. After all of her purchases, she had $7777 left. Assuming she only gets money by allowance, how much money does she earn every month?"

"Mom, that's ridiculous! Nobody can do that all in their head, that's insane!" L.Joe cried from beside me. I took my left hand and grabbed his lips, forcing his mouth to close.

"Shut up, I got this." I said, ignoring his attempt to free his very y lips from my fingers. He eventually stopped fidgeting and I stared at the table in concentration.

"Add this number with this number... and then you use that decimal percentage to get this number... then multiply it by that number..." I mumbled under my breath. It has been a long time since I used my nerd-senses, so I was a bit slow.

After what must have been five seconds, I replied confidently. "Two thousand two hundred and twenty two dollars a month."

My fingers that held L.Joe's lips together returned to my side and my boyfriend stared back at me. "How in the world...?"

His mother smiled back at me in approval. "Finally, a person who has the looks and the brains, just like me."

"Like you...?" I replied.

"I used to be a nerd too, you know. I was too pretty for my own good so nobody took me seriously though."

I couldn't believe it. L.Joe's gorgeous model-like mom was a nerd? Wow, this world was getting crazier by the generation. 

L.Joe's father gave his wife and small hug. "Now, for question number three: Assuming you're first place in the school with the highest grades, what are your dreams and hobbies?"

"I like to play guitar and sing. I also have a thing for photography." I said calmly. "As for my dream... I don't really know yet. There are still many things I haven't learned and I want my mind to be open to every possibility."

"Nice, we have someone with a large imagination here..." Mr. Lee murmured. "Question number four: Waffles or pancakes?"

"Dad, w-what kind of question is that?!" L.Joe said, stuttering. 

"Shhh, let her answer." His parents looked over at me intently, waiting for my answer.

I grinned. "Isn't it obvious? Waffles, of course!"

"Yes!" Mr. and Mrs. high-fived each other childishly. "We chose waffles too!"

Raising an eyebrow at them, L.Joe explained to me. "I chose pancakes and they kept complaining over and over about how raising a child that liked pancakes over waffles was so depressing."

I couldn't help but laugh at this one. How awesome could this small family get?

Mrs. Lee looked at me in excitement. "Now for the last question! Question number five: Do you believe in unicorns?"

"I do-"

"Mom, dad, I think that's enough questions for today." L.Joe stood and pulled me up with him. "Eun Mi really needs to be going-"

"Actually, no I don't. I'm free for the rest of the day-" I said brightly. But then my boyfriend shot me a look so I finished, "-I mean, I really am busy tonight and should be leaving..."

"Aw, really?" His mother said. "That's too bad, I was looking forward to having dinner with you two lovebirds."

"Yes, that's unfortunate." L.Joe said, rushing me to the front door. "Well, maybe we can meet up again some other time. Bye now!"

I bowed and said my goodbye. "It was nice meeting you, Mr. and Mrs. Lee."

"Bye Eun Mi! Take care and visit us some other time!" They waved back.

"This one's a keeper, son!" Was the last thing I heard before L.Joe hurried me out the door to take me home. He shut the door and gave me an apologetic look. "I'm sorry, my parents can be such a handful. Most of the time they aren't home but for some reason they came home early today."

"It's alright, they were fun to talk to." I tried to stiffle a laugh but couldn't hold it in and burst out laughing. 

L.Joe looked at me with a questioning look on his face. "What?"

"You... I can't believe you're related to them! They're so funny and upbeat and lively and then... then there's you!" I gasped through my laughing fit.

"Hey!" He had a hurt look on his face. 

"I'm sorry, it's just so funny..." I stopped laughing and instead followed him to my apartment with an idiotic grin on my face. And to think that his parents wouldn't approve of me. 

We reached our destination and my boyfriend departed from me. "See you tomorrow, Eun Mi."

I waved goodbye to L.Joe and walked towards my apartment. Today was actually really fun, even though it was something I didn't expect.

Reaching my front door, I placed my right hand on the doorknob and my left hand fumbled in my pocket to get my keys. Before inserting the key on the keyhole, I accidentally twisted the handle and the door swung open.

That's weird. I remember locking it this morning.

Shrugging that fact away, I stepped inside and took off my shoes. Setting my converse to the side, I noticed a pair of black sneakers laying on the floor next to them.

That's weird. I don't own a pair of sneakers. 

The front door of my apartment led to the small kitchen first before connecting with my bedroom, so when I walked by I noticed a letter on the kitchen table. I picked it up and looked for a return adress but it was blank.

Was it about the rent again? I hope not.

I lifted my finger up to open it but stopped as soon as I heard a small noise coming from my room. It was a TV.

Wait. I don't have a TV.

Something was wrong. Definitely wrong.

Clutching the unopened letter in my hand, I rushed to my room and busted open the closed door. Sure enough, there was a small portable TV placed on my desk.

"Hello Baby with MBLAQ will be right back! Don't change the channel!" The TV host said.

I peeled my eyes away from the screen to look over at the rest of my room. Laying there, on my bed, was a blonde boy I've never seen before. He had fallen asleep watching TV and was snoring soundly.

What in the world?! What is a blonde boy doing in my bed?!?

 

 


▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
 

✻ author's note the dorky me
What the flip?! I only posted the foreward yet this story already has 8 upvotes and 37 subscribers?! You guys are insane... go get a life or something (and that's coming from a person like me). Want to participate in a random poll? Look below ^^
~Ljjang창조♪