Chapter 3

Wish Me Luck!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Kris stared at his pocket watch for a while, eyes reflecting the gleam of the watch’s glass. The watch looked like it was not working, seeing as it was silent and its hand wasn’t moving to any number on the watch. Kris sighed before he turned his head to the other room the moment he heard another loud crashing sound from the kitchen. He hid the pocket watch again in his coat before standing up and heading for the open doorway – leaning his angelic body on the doorframe with his arms crossed in an impatient manner.

“Again?” He said.

“Ugh…” Chanyeol grimaced as he was on the floor, eggs and milk all over the place as he tried to make himself breakfast. “If you knew, why’d you bother coming over here?”

Kris shook his head, “I don’t know if this is still part of your bad luck or if you’re generally clumsy.” Kris walked over before he tapped a foot on the ground, hovering gently so that his angelic white shoes wouldn’t step on the mess Chanyeol made on the floor.

Chanyeol looked up, mild awe in his eyes before he frowned back at the angel. “… Why you…”

Kris smirked, “What?” He ran a finger along the side of the counter, “How many eggs have you broken already? At this rate, you won’t be able to have a decent meal in the next few days.”

“Shut up!” Chanyeol stood up before he felt himself slip as he stepped on the mixture of egg and milk on the floor. “Wh-Whoa!” Chanyeol thought his head would have cracked open just like the eggs on the floor had it not been for Kris catching him, the angel’s arm wrapping itself around his waist to support him easily.

“Really…” Kris sighed, his face inches away from Chanyeol’s.

Chanyeol fought back a blush as he turned his head to the side, hand pushing the angel’s arm off of his waist. “Th-Thanks.”

As much as Chanyeol hated to admit it, he was feeling rather uncomfortable looking at Kris so close after what happened earlier – with him saving his life after their usual round of squabbling. He still felt embarrassed that he leaned into the angel for support.

“…” Kris blinked and smiled. “You’re welcome.”

Huh. He’s being nice today, isn’t he? Chanyeol patted the dirt on his shirt clean. Has he learned his lesson or something? Or was it just because of earlier? What if he thinks I’m some kind of damsel-in-distress now?!

“Now how about cleaning the mess on the floor so I can finally step on it?” Kris added with a smug look and Chanyeol’s vein popped.

I take it back. This angel will never learn. This angel… Chanyeol gritted his teeth as he pulled a towel from the counter and stuck his tongue out at the being still floating in front of him. He got down on his knees back on the messy floor and began cleaning.

Kris smiled with pride. “That’s a position I’d like to see you often in.”

“..!!” Chanyeol’s eyes shot open and he wiped an exceptionally messy part on the floor before throwing the towel at the angel.

“Wha-!” Kris gasped, covering his face as the towel, with all the egg and milk soaked up in it, hit his clothes. “Y-You--!!”

“HA!” Chanyeol spat. “How about you try cleaning everything this time, huh? Since you’re my guardian angel or what, you should try it sometimes.”

“That doesn’t make sense, idiotic human.” Kris glowered, eyes glaring down at the obvious yellow stain on his white coat. He shrugged himself out of it and threw the coat at Chanyeol’s face. “Why don’t you clean that for me, hm?”

“What the!” Chanyeol gritted his teeth and threw the white coat down on the floor.

“HEY!”

“Yeah! I think I should!” Chanyeol said, grinning like a Cheshire cat. “The floor, I mean! With your pristine white coat, it’ll do just the trick!” He said, wiping the floor hard like he was rubbing sandpaper together. “How – about – that?!”

“WHY YOU--!!”

In the already dark room of the kitchen (since Chanyeol’s electricity was cut), there was a loud crack that reverberated. Chanyeol gasped, eyes darting to where the sound came from. His eyes widened when he noticed his table had been cracked in half by that magnificent force from up above.

“M-MY TABLE--!!” Chanyeol shrieked and Kris sighed in defeat. Chanyeol crawled towards the wooden mess that used to be his dining table. “NOO!!!”

“Damn,” Kris clicked his tongue as he grumbled under his breath. He sneakily took out the pocket watch and checked before his eyes narrowed in disdain, hiding it back again. “Great…”

“No! It’s not!” Chanyeol screeched as he walked towards him, throwing his coat back at the angel. “It’s not great, you hear me?! How can you possibly find any of this great?!”

“Shut up, Park Chanyeol!”

“Stop calling me that!”

“So what do you want to be called?” Kris raised an eyebrow, “Stupid human?”

“Shut up!” Chanyeol his heels and quickly took off his shirt to change to something else. “I’ve had it. I don’t want you following me around today. You stay here and do something about this mess!”

“What?!” Kris spat. “Listen here; these are all caused by that guy. There’s not that much I can do about it.”

“NOT MY PROBLEM!”

“IT’S DEFINITELY YOUR PROBLEM, YOU STUPID HUMAN!”

“SHUT UP!” Chanyeol pushed the angel back as he went for the door. “I’m going to be a decent, law-abiding citizen and look for work. You – You clean everything!”

“What?!” Kris paled. “HOW DARE YOU ORDER AN ANGEL AROUND?! Also, if you’re going to leave, bring this with you, stupid human.” He said, stuffing the younger male’s wallet in the younger male’s coat.

“If you won’t…” Chanyeol grimaced, ignoring what the angel just did before he looked around for some kind of threat. What can a human actually use to threaten an angel? “If you won’t… I’ll tell God about you!”

Kris actually froze and his eyes widened in shock. “You… You wouldn’t…”

Oh? It’s working? “Y-Yeah! Yeah, of course I would!” Chanyeol’s mind threw in the cogs. “If you haven’t been too busy being an idiot, there’s an old chapel nearby. I can go ahead and talk to him there.”

Kris glowered and gritted his teeth. “You’re threatening me? You’re actually threatening me…?”

Chanyeol felt everything around him turn hotter – was this a part of his powers? He didn’t want his whole room to be engulfed in angelic flames now. So, to escape that reality, he stuck out his tongue again and exited the room before the angel could spit out biting remarks at him.

“I WANT THIS PLACE CLEAN WHEN I COME BACK!” Chanyeol screamed from behind the safety of the door. He breathed when he heard silence as a response. He inwardly snickered and squealed in victory. He now had leverage against that angel.

 

Inside the house, Kris grumbled under his breath. He was not about to let that human order him around. He crossed his arms as he stared at the floor, dressed with milk and egg and his white coat that was now turning yellow from the egg yolk.

“Seriously…” Kris scratched the back of his head in irritation. “That human…”

He walked out of the kitchen, eyes closed as he proceeded to enumerate various ways he could punish that human when he returns. That Park Chanyeol was not going to get the better of an angel after all.

But the moment he opened his eyes, he felt a sudden chill run through him and he instinctively grimaced.

Great. He thought. He knew what that chill meant. He looked up and out of nowhere, a small white orb of light floated down to Kris’s eye-level. Then, a deep voice resonated from it – it’s glow mimicking and resonating the tone of the voice.

“It’s much too early to give up, Kris.”

“Who said I was giving up?” Kris narrowed his eyes at the orb of light. There was a light chuckle from the orb as it floated in its place.

“True.” The orb said. “But I would have appreciated it if you said so in a friendlier tone.”

“You…”

“I don’t see why you have to be so mad. Did I do something wrong?”

“You sent me to the wrong human!” Kris spat. “What kind of “god” are you, anyway?! This is suicidal – this punishment…”

“An angel doesn’t die though so I don’t think you have to worry about that.” The orb teased.

Kris was about to punch the majestic spirit, if he could; however the orb carried on the conversation as if Kris was listening like a good boy.

“To clarify your statement, Kris, I did not make a mistake in choosing your punishment.”

Kris frowned. Of course I knew that. You’re “that guy” after all. You never make mistakes. He crossed his arms as he admitted the reality to himself. He had no choice but to deal with this punishment – at least, as long as it lasts.

“I’m sure you’ve noticed the effects on the pocket watch I gave you.”

“Yeah.” Kris said, slowly taking out the golden pocket watch, its gold chain attached to a pocket in his vest. “I did – and I’m not too happy about it… what you did just now.”

There was that fatherly chuckle again that irked Kris more than anything else in the world – well, other than the existence of Park Chanyeol. “But you deserved it, Kris. I don’t do something unless one deserves it.”

“But…”

“You are, right now, a guardian angel.” The orb pressed on. “Your duties are not to harm the human you are in charge of. The more you try to harm Chanyeol, I daresay, the worse it will be for you.”

“That’s…”

“… the case.” The orb’s tone of voice seemed understanding, but at the same time teasing. “However, if all goes well, it may turn out to be a good thing for you in the end – perhaps.”

“What are you saying?” Kris raised an eyebrow at the orb. “There’s no way staying with this human longer is a good thing. Do you have any idea how unlucky this guy is? He’s worse than the reports say.”

“That is why you’re here, remember?”

“….” Kris looked away, arms crossed again as soon as he hid the pocket

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter