Chapter 28

A Drought Of Time

Taemin had a dream that night. A dream filled with white roses, dance stages, and voices without bodies. He was floating through the air with chains holding him. Each chain was a different color, a different voice. One by one the chains broke and Taemin started floating farther and farther from where he had started. He held on to the last chain, the chain that would never break. The pink chain glowed softly before it too broke. He woke up screaming. Screaming for Key.

Taemin couldn’t get that dream out of his head. He went to watch Dong Bang Shin Ki’s first performance on stage. The boys executed the dance routine perfectly. Taemin stood behind the scenes smiling as he saw he work in his mind come to life. It was an ending. He dreaded it, but deep down he knew that he calling wasn’t here. It wasn’t to be standing behind the scene watching others perform. He understood what Key meant, but he wasn’t ready yet. Korea, no matter what happened here was safe. His old friends, his new friends, and his family were here. Taemin watched as Yunho did a solo dance for the second encore. He smiled. He was so proud of what he did, and maybe he had to come back to Korea to regain his confidence. That dream, shook him still, imagining drifting off alone.

That night he got home and called the dance company, the time difference made it a little difficult, along with Key, Jonghyun, and Onew practically sitting on top of him to hear what the man on the other side was saying. They kept poking Taemin and mouthing him to translate. He would shake his head and try and concentrate on what was being said. The agreement that was figured out was he was to fly out at the end of the week to New York. From there he would sign a contract, they would provide a stipend for him and he would sign the lease on the building they had figured out for him. Key was already crying, which he swore was crying in happiness for his baby, while Jonghyun looked sad.

“We always knew you would do great things Taemin.” Onew said as they sat on the couch.

“Don’t worry I’ll have Jonghyun take us to visit you all the time!” Key blubbered as he blew his nose. “Plus next year I will be showing in New York Fashion Week, but keep that a secret.” Key winked at him.

The next few days were hectic, Key trying to put in new fabulous clothes in his suitcase and throw out Taemin’s rags as he called them, Taemin working on getting a visa, saying goodbye to family, talking with SM about leaving, fighting with Key about food, and spending time with his friends. The week went by fast, the nutrition’s food plan was working better than Taemin had expected, but it was hard to look in a mirror a lot of days. He knew that this would be worse without Key, Jonghyun, and Onew nearby, but he swore to himself that he wouldn’t let them down again and would fight.

Taemin saw Kai just once, he was walking in the mall with Sehun, D.O, and Kris. He was smiling and laughing with his friends. Taemin watched as Kai took his phone out and his phone broke out in a smile as he answered it. Taemin hoped it was Myungsoo, and that Kai would be happy. He didn't interrupt or go say hi, but watched wistfully remembering when they were in that same happy atmosphere. But Taemin knew Kai was right, and knew that he would always remember Kai fondly because no matter what he had done to hurt Taemin, he had saved Taemin first. He would never wish to have never met Kai, because he would never have learned that love sometimes meant to let go. He turned to walk away, back to Key who was yelling for him to try on a new pair of shoes, he looked back at what he knew was the last time he would see Kai; he swore as he looked up Kai caught his eye and smiled at him. But the moment was too short to be sure. Both turned away and walked in their own directions.

By Friday Taemin was just about ready to leave quietly. The last thread was going to tied up that night. It was Minho’s goodbye stage performance was his last schedule with SM. After that he was no longer obligated to perform with Minho. Taemin found it a little bittersweet. He was stepping out on stage for the last time with his, yes he would admit it, his best friend. No matter how much he was hurt by Minho when someone said best friend Minho appeared in his mind. He wanted to slow time down just a little. Everyone was moving so fast, so busy. Taemin had looked at Minho, but he had arrived late and then was immediately rushed to make up. Maybe it was better this way, which was what Taemin told himself. He would say goodbye after the performance, a quick and clean goodbye. As he stepped out on the stage the lights hit him and he started to dance. Taemin could dance this in his sleep he knew it so well. The song was ending and Taemin wanted to put it on a loop, just for a little while. To watch the beauty of the movements, the lyrics fill his mind as he danced, but the song ended. Taemin and the backup dancers were ushered to the side as Minho was brought to the front of the stage. Taemin smiled as the MC’s talked to Minho and congratulated him on his promotions.

Taemin watched as Yuri walked on the stage. It was slow motion and Déjà vu for Taemin. It was if he knew what was going to happen before it did. He wanted to scream, but he was frozen. Minho was turning and saw Yuri who launched herself into Minho’s arms. She kissed him and then gave him a box. Taemin watched as Minho opened the box. Two beautiful silver couple rings were on black velvet. As Taemin watched Yuri put the ring on Minho’s finger and kissed him again. It felt as if Taemin had 20 lbs shoes on as he walked off the stage. His ears were still ringing from the screams of the fans. Everyone was surrounding Minho back in the dressing room. Taemin looked down at what he was going to give Minho, and it looked pathetic and stupid. Taemin took the long stemmed white and red rose from his bag and dumped it in the trash as he left. He didn’t have the heart to walk up and fake a smile as Minho would awkwardly stand there and say something about doing a good job. He couldn’t look at the piece of metal that reminded him that Minho wasn’t ever going to be anything more than a memory. How could two flowers from a long forgotten friend compete against a symbol of forever from his girlfriend. Taemin looked behind him once to see Minho; he wanted to ingrain a picture in his head of Minho before he left. He doubted that fate would bring them together again. Minho was a hallyu idol, and he was a mere dancer. The drought of time would be prolonged until Taemin would forget that he ever knew anything else.

“Goodbye Minho” he whispered as he walked out of the door. He went outside to see the clouds were darkening. Instead of calling Key for a ride Taemin decided to walk, walk off his thoughts one last time.  

 

Author's Note: I love this chapter.