Eight

When The Raven Sings

 

Poker night!” Jonghyun exclaimed in delight as he saw the new decorations of Key's desk.

To celebrate ourfirst week at college is over,” Key said as he showed Jonghyun and Minho inside.

Only 51 to go,” Junghee sighed.

Yah, you don't go to school 52 weeks a year!” Key yelled over his shoulder. Junghee ognored him and kept reading her book. “When is Onew hyung coming?” Key asked his friends, immediately putting his plan to work.

After his club board meeting is over, he should be here any minute now,” Minho said. Key glanced over at Junghee but she showed no reaction at the mentioning of Onew's name. He gritted his teeth, he wouldn't give up so easily, even Jonghyun had some smart thoughts from time to time.

Okay, we'll just start without him,” Key said and started shuffling the deck of cards.

He'll win anyway,” Minho said as he sat down by the table. “He always does...”

Oh, not this time my friend, today is the beginning of a new era,” Key declared dramatically.

The era of what exactly?” Jonghyun asked. Key smirked.

Change.”

 

 

Damn it!” Minho said with a cuss and threw his cards on the table.

Wohoo! The poker master does it again!” Key cheered triumphantly and collected his gain. Jonghyun slumped in his seat.

When did you get so lucky?” he pouted.

It's not luck, it's pure skill,” Key scoffed in an offended tone.

So... you practised without us?” Jonghyun asked suspisciously.

I would nev-”

He's cheating,” Junghee said from the other side of the room without taking her eyes off her book. Key snapped his head at her.

What!? I don't know what you're talking about! What do you even know about poker anyway? Don't care about her guys.” Key picked up the cards and looked up at Minho and Jonghyun who suspisciously stared back at him. “Yah, you don't believe her, do you?” he asked angrily.

Well, you have never won before,” Minho stated. “And you do hate to lose...”

Yeah, remember when...” Jonghyun began.

Okay, okay, I get it, but I'm not chea-”

He can see your cards,” Junghee said, still with her eyes on her book.

Mwoh?”

How?”

Look behind you,” she said and Minho and Jonghyun glanced over their shoulder, looking at each other in the reflection in the window. Jonghyun smiled.

I look charming, as usual...”

Yah, pabo! He's been looking at our cards through the reflection, idiot!” Minho yelled, looking like he was about to hit Jonghyun. Junghee smirked.

He even cleaned the window before you guys got here.”

Guys...” Key laughed nervously as hisi friends turned their evil glares at him. “You understand that she's talking bull, right? She hates me!”

We'll switch sides,” Minho decided.

Yah, this isn't soccer you know,” Key protested but swallowed another feisty comment at the sight of Minho towering over him. “As you wish, but it's not going to help you.”

 

 

Damn it!” Minho yelled while Key snickering collected what he had won again. “How is this possible?” Junghee sighed at his stupidity.

He's still cheating,” she said calmly. She could see it all the way from across the room, how could they miss it. Key was being too obvious.

I'm not!” Key yelled in a high pitched voice. Junghee shrugged.

Then why don't you let them count the cards?”she asked. Minho quickly snatched all the cards and gave Key a threatening look.

If I find anything wrong with this deck of cards...” he started but was interrupted when the front door opened.

Hey guys, sorry I'm late, the meeting dragged on later than expected,” Onew said while kicking his shoes off. “Hi Junghee,” he added with a nod and Junghee smiled in response. Key chewed on his lip. There was definitely a heteroual femaly reaction to Onew's presence from Junghee's side. Why didn't he receive that kind of reaction? With his looks it would be the most natural. Something was definitely wrong with that girl. Not that he was jealous or anything... “Oh, poker night? What's the occasion?” Onew asked and sat down among the guys.

More like cheater night,” Minho muttered. Onew sighed.

Key, are you at it again?”

What? Me? No, I would never ch-”
“Junghee-ssi, are you joining us?” Onew asked over his shoulder, junghee looked up from her book in surprise.

Me?” she asked. Key scoffed and rolled his eyes.

No, the Junghee who is sitting beside you. Of course he means you,” he said sharply. Junghee narrowed her eyes at him.

I'm sorry, I was just caught off guard after sitting here a while without being invited,” she said with contained annoyance.

What do you even now about poker anyway?”

Enough to know when someone is cheating.”

I wasn't cheating!”

Liar.”

Junghee. Don't care about him, he's just being a ,” Onew said and shot a meaning look at Key telling him to cool down.

As usual...” Junghee mumbled under her breath. Onew chuckled.

Come here and show these losers how to play.”

Yah, I'm not a loser!” Minho protested. Junghee walked around the table an sat down between Minho and Key.

Ugh, it's getting too crowded,”Key complained. “Move your arm.”

Okay,”Onew interrupted Key. “Let's start.”

 

 

What the hell!” Minho threw his cards on the table. Jonghyun sighed deeply and put his cards next to Minho's.

Mybe we are losers after all...” he said depressed. Junghee snickered as she collected her prize. She and Onew had equally many victories now.

One more time, last round,” Onew said. “I'm not losing this time.”

Well, we'll see about that,” Junghee said with a cheeky smile. Onew shuffled the cards and started handing them out.

Challenge accepted.”

 

 

Key looked with awe at Onew as he encouragingly smiled at Junghee.

It seems like you outsmarted me,” Junghee said to Onew.

I'm sure you will win next time,” Onew said, and he even patted her shoulder. Key shook his head. Was his hyung some kind of Junghee-whisperer? How did he do that? Tame her like a wild little... puppy....

It's okay, I'm a good loser, I can take a defeat, unlike someone I know,” Junghee said and barely glanced in Key's direction.

I'm not a bad loser!” Key protested and imediately defensive mode.

I never said that.”

You implied it,” Key muttered as he joined up beside Junghee and followed his friends to the door. “Bye guys, see you.”

Same thing tomorrow night?” Onew asked mockingly.

I'm broke,” Minho stated grumpily.

Iv'e got a date, sorry,” Jonghyun said and flipped some hair out of his face.

How about you Junghee-ssi? You're not afraid of me are you?” Onew asked. Key narrowed his eyes at him. Was Onewusing his flirty tone right now?

Not the least,” Junghee smiled.

That's what I thought. Good night.”
“Bye oppa,” Junghee said and waved. The guys exchanged quick looks before Key hurried to close the door. Junghee dropped her smile.

Hownice of you to slam the door in you friends' faces,” she said sarcastically and started walking back into the room.

Oppa?” Key breathed. “Seriously? Oppa!?” He couldn't believe it. “You called him oppa!?”

I was being nice, and polite,” Junghee said simply while beginning to clean off the table. Key scoffed.

How very friendly of you... you don't even call your friends 'oppa'!”

What would you know about that?” Jungheeasked while carrying a few empty glasses to the sink. Key walked up to the table and determinately pushed the chairs inte their right position.

I heard you talking to them when they were visiting, messing up my bed... You're closer to calling them 'hyung' than 'oppa',” Key said.

I can't seem to see your point. Do you have one?” Junghee sighed in annoyance. Key smirked.

You can't hide behind sarcastic comments this time. You're having a crush on my hyung.”

I don't know what you're talking about,” Junghee said quickly and started walking towards her part of the room, but Key blocked her path.

So you do have a crush on him?” he asked triumphantly. Junghee crossed her arms over her chest with a scoff, but she seemed to b out of witty retorts. “Not denying it? Holy mother of... Jonghyun was right.” Key made a mental happy dance.

Well, he is good looking and, unlike you, chevaleresque and considerate. I can consider befriending him,” Junghee said.

Chev-what... befriend...?” He shook his head and snickered. “Sure, 'befriend'...” Key could see his golden opportunity come within reach. He was going touse thisto make a deal with Junghee, and this brilliant plan was going to make the principal forgive him for all eternity and his years in college would be finished in peace. There was no room for mistakes. “Junghee, I know Onew like I know the back of my hand. His preferences, ideal type... I could help you.”

Key...” Junghee said warningly.

I am going to be your beauty manager.” Key beamed at her waiting for her applause.

Key, do you want me to punch you?” Junghee asked and rubbed her left temple.

Of course not, I'm being completely serious. I'll do whatever it takes to pair you up with my hyung. We will fight together, you two will become a couple and we will practically become family!”

You're insane. Good night.”

Aw, come on!”

I said good night.”