Three

When The Raven Sings

 

“Good morning,” Key chirped when Junghee sat up in her bed after her alarm ringing four times. She just tossed her blankets aside and put her feet into her slippers without giving Key as much as a glance. “Did you sleep well?” Junghee walked into the bathroom and slammed the door closed. Key sighed. Maybe he had been too honest yesterday? Crossed some sort of line? If he had only waited until they knew each other better she would have known he didn’t mean any harm. The toilet flushed and Junghee came out, newly showered and fully dressed. “What’s your first class? Do you know if we have any subjects together? What’s your main subject anyway?” Key bombarded her with questions. Junghee silently put her bag over her shoulder and walked towards the door. Key quickly picked his own bag up from the floor and followed her out. “Are you going already? Let’s make company. You know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, aren’t you going to have any?” Finally Junghee paid some attention to Key and did so by giving him a dark look.

“I’m trying to lose weight,” she said bluntly. Key frowned.

“Skipping meals isn’t a good way t-“

“It was a joke, please leave me alone.”

“Junghee, I-“

“Kibum, Key, whatever, we’re going to live together for this entire year and if you want to survive this year you better do as I say right now and leave. Me. Alone.” Junghee turned away and tried to get away from there.

“But, I...”

“Kibum, don’t…” Junghee said warningly over her shoulder.

“About yesterday…”

“Gah!” Junghee spun around and stomped back towards Key who scared backed away. “If you say as much as one single word to me for the rest of the day I swear to God I will sit with my on your face when you’re asleep!” she blurted. Key felt his jaw drop and all he could do was stare after Junghee as she thundered away from him. He had really managed to piss that girl off! 

 

 

Onew hid his face in his hands while shaking his head.

“You’re a terrible human being, Key,” he sighed. Key looked down in shame. The more he thought about what he had said to Junghee the worse he felt. “You have to apologize.”

“I tried!” Key said helplessly and thought about the threat.

“Not enough, buy her something, girls like that,” Onew suggested.

“She’s not exactly like the girls that you and I know,” Key said hesitantly.

“You just have to touch her heart.”

“I’m not sure she has a heart…”

“Of course she has a heart, and your words obviously hurt it!” Onew almost threw himself over his dongsaeng but managed to calm down. “It’ just how you described her to Taemin, she’s an ordinary girl, and if there’s anything you know how to do, it’s how to handle girls.”

“I’m not so sure about this one,” Key said, and for the first time since kindergarten he felt like he was losing confidence in himself. Onew flicked Key’s forehead and the younger groaned. “Ow!”

“Don’t be a wuss, man up and solve your .”

 

 

“Yah! Junghee?” Joon waved his hand in front of her eyes.

“What?” Junghee snapped and Joon quickly retrieved his hand.

“Sorry, we just wondered where your mind went…”

“Key…” Junghee muttered.

“Key!? Are you in love with him? Already!?” Joon freaked. Junghee kicked his shin under the table.

“Yah! Watch your tongue,” she said warningly. “I was just thinking about what a fantastically huge jerk that guy is.”

“Did he do something?”

“He was being honest…”

 

 

Junghee quietly opened the door to her dorm room. As usual the light was off but this time Key didn’t seem to be waiting for her. Not that she had wanted him to, but she had hoped he had enough between his ears to at least apologize. Junghee stood still in the hallway and listened. Hearing the snores it seemed as if that jerk had actually fallen asleep. Junghee cursed under her breath and marched over to her bed and lit her night lamp. She stopped her angry moves as she discovered a tin box on her bed with a note attached to it. Junghee slowly picked up the box and after a few moments of hesitation she opened it and peeked inside. Two layers of cookies were smiling back at her from inside and the sweet scent hit her nose, making water. Junghee closed the box again and took the note.
 

I’m sorry I acted like a jerk.

p.s. I made them myself, don’t be too touched
 

Junghee scoffed. This guy really thought too highly of himself. She put the box on her desk and felt a small twitch in her lips. Well, everyone deserves a second chance after all.

 

 

Junghee’s hand searched blindly for her alarm that kept ringing, but it was nowhere to be found. She sleepily sat up in her bed and tried to localize where the sound came from. Key poked his head out of the bathroom with his toothbrush in his mouth.

“I put your alarm on your desk,” he said and the toothpaste foam squirted all over the floor. “I thought you were having some trouble waking up yesterday and this way you have to getup in order to turn of the alarm off.” He beamed at her, very satisfied with his brilliant plan and was certain of their reconciliation. Junghee gave him a glare as she stood up.

“You’re drooling.” She gave the alarm clock a punch to shut it up while Key hurried back into the bathroom to spit. When he came back out again Junghee brushed past him and locked herself in the bathroom. Hey sighed and his shoulder sloped. Maybe he had been too optimistic to think she would forgive him after only a pack of cookies. He really had thought she would like it though, considering her size… He subconsciously picked up Junghee’s backpack and held it in his hand, and when Junghee stepped out of the steaming bathroom she stopped abruptly in front of him and stared at his hand.

“What are you doing?” she asked angrily with a slight tone of suspicion in her voice. Key looked at the bag and held it out to her.

“Well, I imagine you would just storm out of here like you did yesterday. Here you go,” Key said with a sad shrug and dumped the backpack in her hands.

“Thanks.” She swung the bag over her shoulder and headed for the door and Key trudged behind her, disappointed by his failure to become forgiven.

“Morning Junghee-yah.”

“Morning.” Key looked at the guy who just passed them. Was he talking to Junghee?

“Hey, Junghee!” Key looked in the direction from where the greeting was heard. Junghee waved with a smile. Wasn’t that… Soohyun? Jonghyun’s roommate? Soohyun looked at Key and narrowed his eyes, making Key to quickly look away, and his eyes fell on another guy approaching them with his eyes on Junghee. He gave her a wanna-be cool nod as a greeting, and if Key wasn’t completely out of his mind he thought he actually saw Junghee smile at the guy. Without thinking where he was going he just followed Junghee to her first class, watching her greet each and every second boy that crossed her way. Junghee stopped outside a classroom door.

“I’m guessing you are not taking this class,” she stated without looking at him.

“Huh?” Key said confused.

“Creative writing.”

“Do you know everyone?!" Key asked. Junghee frowned.

“What do you mean?”

“What I mean? You just said ‘hi’ to every guy we just met in the halls!” Key blurted, then he narrowed his eyes. “Did you sleep with them?”

“What do you think?” Junghee asked and reached her hand out to open the door.

“Wait!” Key put his hand on hers and they both froze in the position before Junghee pulled her hand back. Key scratched his neck and looked down at his feet.

“Did you want something? I have a lesson to attend,” Junghee said with a sigh. Key cleared his throat.

“I wanted to, um… apologize…” He glanced at her. “I’m sorry I said all those things to you… it was stupid, and… I won’t do it again.” There was a slight pause and Key straightened his neck to look at Junghee, who had on an unreadable expression, properly.

“I won’t say ‘it’s okay’, because it’s not. And I won’t say ‘I forgive you’, because I don’t, not yet.” Key sighed and kicked some invisible dirt on the floor. “But, I will let it slide, just this once,” Junghee said and Key snapped his head towards her.

“Really?”

“Just. This. Once,” Junghee repeated slowly and Key nodded eagerly. Junghee put her weight on one foot and crossed her arms over her chest. “In one way I’m actually glad you screw up this early in the year,” she said and Key put on a confused face. “This way I know exactly what kind of person you are and what I can expect from you in the future.” Junghee opened the door. “Thanks for the cookies.”

“You’re welcome…” Key said, still feeling really confused. Junghee threw a glance at him over her shoulder and flashed him a tiny smile. “Don’t be late.” Key panicking looked at the time and took a run for his first class.

“Damn it!”