Five

When The Raven Sings

 

Junghee and Key were sitting by their desks leaning over homework. Key groaned loudly.

“I can’t believe they’re giving us this much to do after only one week,” he whined and leaned his forehead against his books. Junghee ignored his complaints, she would soon be finished anyway. Key stretched his neck to see what she was studying.

What are you doing?” he asked when he couldn’t see anything.

“Concentrating,” Junghee said and tried to shut him out. Key ignored her cold attitude.

“On what? What are you studying?” he asked.

“Music.”

“What kind of music?”

“Good music.”

“You don’t want to be bothered?”

“No.” Junghee glanced at Key who slumped in his chair. She shook her wondering what he would do next. Key stood up and walked over to the wanna-be kitchen, containing only a small fridge, a pantry and a kettle, and he opened the food cupboard.

“Junghee…?” he said hesitantly.

“What, Key?” Junghee asked and slammed her pen against the table top. Key frowned at her sudden anger and felt his own temper heat up.

“You don’t have to get so angry, I haven’t done anything!”

“You keep interrupting me! Did you want anything important?” Junghee growled at him. Key looked back into the cupboard again.

“Have you eaten all of the cookies I gave you?”

“Yes.” Key gaped at her.

“How is that even possible!? A whole jar of cookies, in forty eight hours!?” he asked incredulously. Junghee turned her chair around and shrugged.

“Aren’t you impressed?”

“I’m terrified! You munched everything from the cookie jar! You should have left at least something for me, and it’s not good for you to eat so much sweets!”
”You gave me those cookies! So what if I’m fat and ugly, why the hell would you care!?”

“I don’t care that you’re ugly and fat!”

“Then why are you getting so upset!?” Junghee stood up and stomped over to Key. “You gave me those cookies because you thought little fat me would forgive you. And I sort of did, but that does not give you permission to keep on noting my eating habits. If you want our little truce to continue you better get of my back and start behaving like something else than a little brat!”

“What did you call me!? Listen here, I just…” Key was interrupted when the door to their dorm room suddenly flew open and someone barged right into the room.

“Surprise!” Jonghyun flung his arms out in a dramatic gesture. Junghee glared at him without amusement. Jonghyun stared back at her and then looked at his friend who was fuming in the back of the little kitchen. “Whoa! What’s with the tense mood? Were the two of you fighting?” Junghee kept glaring at the intruder.

“Who are you?” she asked angrily. Minho stepped inside the room and stood behind Jonghyun.

“Sorry to barge in like this…” he bowed and introduced himself and Jonghyun. “We’re friends of Key.”

“Great,” Junghee said with a fake smile that quickly faltered. “Then get him out of my sight, please,” she said and trudged back to her desk. Key huffed.

“I haven’t even done anything wrong, she was the one who ate all the cookies.” He crossed his arms over his chest and looked the other way. Jonghyun looked after Junghee’s angry figure, blinked and then turned his gaze to Key.

“I thought you were friends now,” he said.

“You don’t become friends because you give someone a jar of cookies,” Junghee muttered. Key sent her a death glare.

“Whatever,” he muttered. Jonghyun and Minho went closer to him.

“What was that all about?” Minho whispered and glanced over his shoulder at Junghee who was reading a book with her headphones plugged in.

“That girl is a freaking monster! She ate all the cookies I gave her, in less than two days!” Key whispered back.

“Maybe she got help,” Jonghyun suggested and Minho rolled his eyes.

“I didn’t even get a single taste,” Key pouted.

“I thought you didn’t eat things like that anyway…”

“I don’t eat them, I wanted to taste them,” Key repeated.

“Didn’t you even taste them when you made them?” Jonghyun frowned. To him that would be the most obvious thing in the world.

“… No…” Key cleared his throat. “Let’s do something!”

 

 

“Ow!”

“That’s not the way!”

“You don’t have to hit me, it might leave a mark. You do it yourself.”

“I don’t know how t-“

“You then?” Key turned to Jonghyun who held up his hands in an avoiding gesture.

“Don’t look at me.”

“Argh, where’s Taemin when you need him?” Key growled.

“He’s at home,” Jonghyun said.

“Thank you… for stating the obvious,” Key growled. Junghee gritted her teeth and raised the volume on her music player another notch while glaring at the boys hustle in front of a laptop. Downloading some kind of game, or whatever, wasn’t going to go any faster just because they yelled at each other. When Minho and Jonghyun started arguing while Key was yelling at the computer screen Junghee had finally had enough.

“Yah!” She tore her earplugs out. “Could you guys please try to quiet down!?”

“!” Key stared at the screen. “Now, see what you made me do!” He clicked the mouse in panic. Junghee narrowed her eyes at his neck.

“What I did?” she hissed. “What did I do exactly? I just wanted some peace in here!”

“Man, if I get a virus on this computer now I’m totally screwed,” Key muttered and completely ignored Junghee. Junghee stood up and balled her fists.

“Yah, Key…” Minho whispered and slowly backed away from his hyung.

“What?” Key asked with his eyes glued to the screen. Junghee took a deep breath. He’s not worth one year of war, she thought to herself. He’s not worth it.

“I’m going out for a while, and when I come back I want all of you out of here,” Junghee said in a cold voice as she walked out the door and slammed it close behind her.

“Damn it…” Key muttered.

“Yeah, you’re going to have a rough time with her,” Minho said. Jonghyun nodded vaguely in agreement.

“Well, we did make a loot of noise,” he then said.

“You…”

“What are you talking about?” Key asked confused. “That yelling made me click something and now all I’ve got on my computer is a load of !” Key groaned. His small laptop couldn’t take much.

“?” Minho sounded interested as he leaned over Key’s shoulder. Jonghyun also bent forward.

“Let’s watch it!”

“But Junghee…”

“Dude, she left,” Minho stated.

“Huh?” Key turned around in his chair and scanned the dorm. “Where did she go?”

“Apparently not so far…” Minho said as the door opened again.

“No then,” Jonghyun said disappointed.

 

 

Junghee came to an abrupt stop outside the door. Why was she leaving? She should be the on forcing them to go away. She turned around and placed her hand on the doorknob but didn’t get any further. She couldn’t go back inside now, she wouldn’t be taken seriously if she did. Junghee groaned loudly. She should have refused when the principal asked her to share a room with Key.

“Having trouble with your roommate?” Junghee hastily swung around and pressed herself against the door as the voice sounded behind her.

“Yeah…” was all she managed to say as she awkwardly scratched her elbow. Who was this intruder? The guy reached out his hand toward her with his eyes decreasing considerably in size as he fired off a warm smile.

“You must be Junghee,” he said and Junghee blinked at him while accepting his hand.

“How did you…”

“I’m Jinki, a friend of that arrogant, superficial jerk who I living with you,” he said with a chuckle and let go of her hand. “Call me Onew.”

 

 

Key stared at Junghee as she walked smiling alongside Onew when they entered the door together. Minho glanced at him.

“Those mood swings you were talking about…”

“No joke,” Jonghyun stated.