Fourteen

When The Raven Sings

Are you ready?” Key was looking ridicilously brisk in his sportswear. Junghee only felt stupid next to him and her tights were definitely a size too small and clasping her body too tightly. She tugged at them but Jey slapped her hand away. “They will fit you perfectly in no time,” he chirped. Junghee only scoffed.

Let's just go,” she said and glanced at a group of girls who were passing by. They giggled loudly and pointed indiscreetly in Junghee's direction. It was the same girls that had harrassed her in the cafeteria in the beginning of the semester, Yeri, Seulgi and she had learned pretty quickly that theirso-called leader was named Joy. The complete opposite of what Junghee felt whenever she was within sight.

I'm setting the pace,” Key said and took off. Junghee had no choice but to tag along. It didn't take long until Junghee was soaked in sweat and desperately gasping for air. She cluthed her side in pain.

Can we... take... a break?” she asked between breaths.

We can power walk, but no stopping,” Key said.

But I'm... dying,” Junghee gasped. Key scoffed.

No you're not. I know you feel tired but this is just the first stage, your stamina will get better and you'll get over it.” Key nodded in self agreement. Junghee staggered forward. Tired? Get over it? Junghee wasn't sure what to compare this hell with but the only thing she had suffered through before which was equal to this level of pain was probably something from her days of being bullied, and she'd rather not think about that. Key was a few steps ahead of her and he turned around, jogging backwards as he looked at her.

Come on Jungie, you're almost there.” It was true. Key couldn't believe Junghee was this tired after only 500 meters, had she never moved her body in her entire life? But he didn't mention his doubts about her previous exercising. “You can do it, Jungie!” he cheered enthustiastically instead. Junghee growled.

Don't call me Jungie...”

Wae It sounds cute.”

Just knock it off.”

Jungie...” Key was still jogging backwards and he watched Junghee's face grow dark. Maybe this was a bad time to be teasing her... So he changed his tone of voice and said: “I'll treat you to some chocolate if you make it all the way.” Junghee's ears perked up and she let go of her aching side.

Chocolate” Junghee quickly wet her lips with her tongue. “Really”

Really.”

No tricks” Junghee actually picked up her pace a little and Key had to turn back and jog normally again. He chuckled and let Junghee catch up with him.

No tricks Jungie,” he said. Junghee didn't even comment on the nickname, instead she determinedly kept a steady tread. Only 300 meters to go. One kilometerhad been a good start of Junghee's cardio workouts. Key looked at her from the side. Her eyes were fixed straight ahead and her forehead had a deep frown. Key couldn'tbut let out another chuckle. She actually looked kind of cute.

 

 

Junghee threw herself down in the grass as they reached the spot where they had started. She panted for air. Her side hurt, her feet hurt, her running tights were killing her and was dry as a desert. As if Key had read her mind he reached her a water bottle and sat down next to her. Junghee gratefully accepted the drink, supported her weight on one elbow and drank greedily. After finishing the entire bottle she slumped back onto the ground.

I'm dead,” she stated and closed her eyes.

You're not very sporty, are you?” Key asked with a grin. Junghee kept her eyes closed.

Thanks for stating the obvioius.” She didn't even have the strength to be defensive. Key regarded her a while before slowly lying downby her side. They lay side by side in silence. Key studied the clouds.

You did a good job today,” he said.

Key...” Junghee began warningly.

I mean it! You didn't stop once,” he said. He tilted his head towards her, unprepared for the fact that she had done the same, leaving their faces only inches away from each other. They stared into each others eyes for a few seconds, but before anyone of them had recovered from the slight shock someone stopped beside them, covering the sun and let his big shadow fall upon them.

What the hell is this!?”

 

 

Key and Junghee faced the sky again and Junghee's eyes widened.

Eli!? You're back!” Junghee smiled but Eli did not return it. Instead he reached out his hands, grabbed a steady hold of both her arms and yanked her to her feet.

I didn't come home to watch you lie down next to this lowlife of a playboy!” Eli was fuming and he held Junghee's arms in a tight grip. Junghee stared at him with big eyes. This was not at all how she had imagined her first meeting with Eli after not seeing each other for almost three months.

Calm down Eli.” Junghee put a hand on top of his in an attempt to make him let go, but he kept his grip and turned to Key.

And you.” He pointed a finger at Key, who had sprung to his feet and looked very confused and scared. “What do you think you're doing?”

Actually...” Key started but Junghee interrupted him abruptly.

This is Key, my roommate,” she said in a cheery voice. Eli closed his eyes for a brief moment.

I know who he is, and the first thing I found out when I arrived was that the two of you are sharing a dorm room. None of those facts are what I asked about. I was asking what this guys is up to.” Eli stared angrily at Key who was nervously twisting his hands. Key studied Eli, notknowing what to expect from him. Who was this guy? Did Junghee have an extremely over protective boyfriend she hadn't told him about? It didn't add up... Was there going to be a fight? Key wasn't much of a fighter, and he definitely didn't have a chance against this big guy. He tried again.

Actually, I...”

Actually, I think you should go now Key. I'll handle this,” Junghee said over her shoulder. Key looked at Eli's hand whicch was still keeping a tight grip around Junghee's arm. It looked like it hurt...

Are you sure?” he asked, even though he was dying to get away from there.

See you back at the dorm.” Junghee sounded determined. Key left.

 

 

Junghee stumbled after Eli as he dragged her along.

Eli, Eli lease, can you let go now” But it was as if he couldn't hear her. “You're hurting me.” Eli stopped abruptly and turned around.

What the hell is going on?” he asked.

Key is just helping me...”

Helping? You don't know that guy,” Eli sneered.

Neither do you.” Junghee tried to loosen Eli's grip on her, but it was like his hand was molded to her arm.

I know his type,” Eli hissed.

You're such a hypocrite, I know you're a playboy too.”

That's irrelevant.”

It's totally relevant. Just like you Key is my friend, or at least we're trying to make it work.”

Make it work? You make it sound as if you're in a relationship.” Eli sighed. “From what I've heard he's bossing you around and torturing you!” Junghee felt a sudden rush of anger at his words.

And how is that any different from what you are doing right now?”

What?” Eli looked confused for a second. “I just...”

What gives you the right to barge in here, decry my friends and drag my around as if I'm a dog in a leash!? We're friends Eli, but I won't accept this kind of treatment. I'm not some K-drama female lead!” They both looked at Eli's hand which was still graasping her arm tightly. “Let me go.”

Junghee, I just...”

I know. But you have to let me go,” Junghee said through gritted teeth, emphasizing the last three words carefully.

Yah! She told you to let her go!” Out of nowhere someone camerunning and a fist hit Eli right in the face.