Fifteen

When The Raven Sings

So, would anyone like to tell me what happened?” For the first time in her life Junghee had been called into the principal's office. Her mother wasn't really paying her much attention though, but focused on the boys who were sitting on either side of her in front of the principal's desk. Eli sat quietly to her right with some cotton up his bleeding nose. This troublemaker wasn't exactly Junghee's mother's favourite among Junghee's friends and Eli didn't precisely make an effort to change her mind. He demonstratively looked away with his jaw clenched. And, on Junghee's left side, was none other than Onew. Junghee was just as surprised as her mother had looked when the three of them had entered her office along with a teacher. Aside from surprise there were a whole bunch of other feelings stirring inside Jugnhee, but they replaced each other so fast she couldn't hold on to a single one of them. All she knew was that the feeling “surreal” and thoughts like “Where is the hidden camera?” were the ones that visited her mind most frequently. Onew was gently rubbing his bruised knuckles and kept his head lowered to avoid eye contact with the principal. Junghee noticed a small swelling at the back of his head and she bit her lip nervously. “No one?” Principal Jang sighed a little. “I must say this is most unexpected... this isn't high school you know.”

It was my fault,” Junghee reeled off. She had no idea how to continue but she didn't want any of the guys to take the fall for this one. Her past was flawless, she could talk her mother out of this. But she was interrupted, by both of the ones she tried to protect.

No!” they blurted out in unison. They both shot each other an icy glare. Principal Jang sighed once more.

Eli, Junghee, please step outside for a moment.” The principal noticed Junghee's terrified face and added: “Don't worry, you will all have you fair share of time in here.”

 

 

The door closed behind Junghee and Eli, leaving Onew alone with principal Jang in the office. The teacher who had accompanied them there walked off, obviously very satisfied with his contribution to the situation. Eli looked irresolute. Junghee thought about Onew all alone with her mother in the office behind her and clenched her jaws.

Are you happy now?” she grunted to Eli through gritted teeth. He cleared his throat.

I was only trying to help,” he said weakly.

So did he, and look where that got him!” Junghee pulled a hand over her face in frustration. “I'm pretty sure I looked more in need of saving from you than I did from Key. Nothing happened.!He was actually being nice, for real. And you... you brutally pulled my arm and yelled at me. I think Onew oppa's acting was just a tad bit more justified!” Junghee had, by the end of her rant raised her voice into a yell and her heart was beating fast with anger. Eli just stared at her.

O-oppa?” he asked incredulously. Junghee groaned and hopelessly threw her arms in the air.

Out of all those things that's what stuck in your head!?” Junghee clenched her fists. “But yes. Maybe you shouldn't have acted so rushly and studied this case a bit closer before intervening. One of the reasons I'm on this hardcore diet hell thing with Key is because of that guy. Actually, I think I'm falling in love.” Eli and Junghee stared at each other in shock. She hadn't meant to go that far with her words. She didn't even know if it was true, all these feelings were so new to her. She quickly glanced over her shoulder. What if Onew had heard her. Eli slowly placed a hand on his head.

Holy ,” he stated. Junghee hastily looked at her feet.

Err, yeah...!”

Holy ,” Eli repeated. Junghee gave him an annoyed look and his gaze met hers intently. “Who are you?”

Come on.”

You're in love!?”

I said 'I think I am” Junghee hurriedly pointed out while hushing him. Eli raised an eyebrow.

You sounded pretty convincing.” Eli let his arms drop to his sides. “Well, I'm sorry, I guess. Not that I really did anything to this Onew, nor Key for that part.”Eli gently touched his nose. Junghee just shrugged.

Serves you right, you looked pretty scary.”

What kind of name is Onew by the way? What's his real name?”

Jinki, Lee Jinki,” Junghee said. “But please stop talking about him, what if he comes out.” Eli scratched his chin thoughtfully.

Jinki... that sounds awfully familiar...”

Sooo, welcome back1 How was your trip?” Junghee changed the subject. “Who are you rooming with this year?”

... Crap.”

 

 

Junghee was just about to ask Eli what was wrong when the door to the principal's office opened and Onew stepped out. The principal was just a step behind him and motioned for Eli to step inside. The guys shared a look of dislike as they passed each other. The door closed with a small click and Junghee and Onew were left standing face to face outside the office. Their eyes met and Junghee quickly averted her gaze.

So, he's your friend?” Onew asked.

Well, yeah...” Junghee kicked some invisible dirt on the floor.

He didn't seem to treat you very friendly,” Onew stated, something cold in his voice. Junghee stayed quiet in lack of ideas of what to say. “I'm sorry if I ruined anything.”

You don't have to apologize,” Junghee said hastily. “I mean, he could have been an abusive boyfriend, or something...”

That's what it looked like...” Onew sounded so serious that Junghee didn't dare to look at him. She just unconsciously rubbed her arm. “Does it hurt?” Junghee froze as she felt Onew's warm fingers touching her arm.

N-no, I-I'm fine,” she stuttered and her heart flew up in as she felt Onew's other hand cupping her elbow. She looked at him as he examined her arm.

It's starting to bruise,” he said while looking at her skin.

Junghee!” The shrill voice of a panicking Key filled the hallway and in a split second Onew and Junghee were leaning against the walls on the opposite sides of the corridor. Key ran up to them. “What's going on? Why are you here?” He looked nervously at Junghee, he almost looked worried. He turned to Onew. “And why are you here?” Junghee was annoyed with Key's interruption of her intimate moment with Onew.

Unlike someone else I know Onew intervened when an angry man was pulling my arm off,” she sneered at him. Key's eyes widened.

Intervened? How?” Key looked at Onew. Like himself Onew was not a fighter. He wouldn't stand a chance ag-

He punched him in the face” Junghee said.

You did what!?” Key walked over to his hyung and gently touched his forehead. Onew pushed it away with a slight grunt. “Are you sick?” Key asked worriedly.

I'm not sick. I just thought he was hurting Junghee.” Onew looked over Key's shoulder and flashed a soft smile at Junghee. Key narrowed his eyes at Onew.

Don't think I didn't see you being all touchy-touchy with Junghee just now. What is going on?” he hissed in a low voice so Junghee wouldn't hear him. The door to the office opened once more and Eli stepped out along with principal Jang. She looked at Junghee.

I have a meeting to attend to, I will keep in touch with you. And as for you two, I never want to see you in my office again. Understood?”

Yes, principal Jang,” Eli and Onew replied in unison.

Good.” The principal her heel and left with rapid steps. It was quiet for a moment. Junghee cleared .

That was fast,” she said to get rid of the heavy silence.

Your mum officially hates me,” Eli replied. Junghee let out a tense laugh.

Well, she always has, now she just has a reason,” Junghee said, only half joking.

Funny,” Eli muttered. “Let's get out of here.” He made a motion to reach for her arm but changed his mind as both Key and Onew tensed at the sight. “Come on Junghee,” he said instead.

Actually, she's going with me.” Junghee gave Key a surprised look. He looked kind of surprised himself, but then he looked at Junghee with a shrug. “We live together you know. And you still haven't showered since your workout.” Key sniffed in the air and wrinkled his nose. “As a matter of fact, you stink.” Junghee sighed. No matter the situation, he was always the same.

I'll see you around, Eli,” she said to her friend who frowned but said nothing.

Let me know if your arm gets worse,” Onew said softly, his eyes getting super small from smiling. Eli gave him a look of dislike.

Let me know. It was my fault after all,” he said.

I'll just bring the guys over and visit your new crib,” Junghee said and slowly started walking away. This day was already more dramatic than anything she had ever experienced. She couldn't take it anymore. Eli crossed his arms over his chest.

Don't.” He looked at nothing down the hall. Junghee's shoulders slumped.

Wae?”

I'll go to your place instead.” He threw a glance at Onew. “I'm sharing with him.” Everybody froze. Onew turned to Eli with and glared at him.

What!?”

 

 

Holy mother of... You're telling me Onew came fling all superhero-style at this Eli-dude and smashed him in the face. Eli then pushed him into a tree and made Onew hit his head in a big fat branch!?”

Mhm.”

And that's why none of them are sleeping in their dorm?”

Mhm.”

Now, tell me, how satisfied are you at a scale of one to ten?”

Excuse me?”

Come on! Do you really think I didn't see you and Onew in the corridor outside the principal's office?”

He was just checking if I was injured.”

“Junghee, just admit it, I'm making your dreams come true!”

Actually Key, I think I have to thank Eli and his stupid behaviour for that.”

Eli wouldn't have been there if it wasn't for me.”

Whatever I say you're going to take credit for it, aren't you?”

Because it's true.”

You owe me a chocolate bar.”

You owe me a relationship.”

“I hate you.”

“Goodnight, Jungie.”