Four

When The Raven Sings

Yeah, so, 1,5 years later I'm here with an update... I hope you enjoy it.

 

 

“Are you like friends now?” Jonghyun asked as Key met up with him and Onew over lunch. Key shrugged.

“I think so. She’s a bit fickle but… I guess she’s actually easier to deal with than other girls,” he said.

“How come?” Jonghyun asked with his mouth full of rice, spraying it over the entire table. Key looked over at the table where Junghee sat with Soohyun, her guardian angel and some other guy.

“She speaks her mind, she’s honest and straight forward, brutal even,” he said and turned his attention back to his lunch.

“Just like someone I know,” Onew said and lifted his eyebrows with a meaning look. “I think she sounds interesting.” Key and Jonghyun stared at their hyung.

“She’s impossible!” Key said with big eyes. Onew shrugged.

“She’s different.” The older boy looked at his friends and gave them a crooked smile at the sight of their faces. “I might be as superficial as the rest of you but I have to set an example for you guys to deserve being called ‘hyung’. Since I’m also majoring in psychology I think I will enjoy a good chat with this Junghee girl,” he added.

“So, why don’t you just come over to my place some time and you can all take a look at the weirdo I live with,” Key said and rolled his eyes.

“I’ll take your word on that,” Onew said.

“Yah, I wasn-“

“Speaking of ‘all’, where’s Minho?” Onew interrupted.

“I heard he went to try out for the soccer team,” Jonghyun said.

“You heard?” Key asked. “Is he that outstanding?”

“I don’t know about that, but the team leader, Lee Joon, is apparently doing everything he can to make Minho fail the try outs,” Jonghyun said. “Joon is going crazy trying to convince the coach not to accept Minho…”

“What’s wrong with the room mates this year!?” Key asked.

“I wonder what mine will be like when he arrives…” Onew said thoughtfully. Jonghyun shrugged.

“To follow the tradition, I think he will hate you,” he said casually causing the older boy to give him an annoyed look. Key sighed.

“It’s going to be a tough year guys…”

 

 

“Don’t you think you’re a little too hard on the guy? He’s the best player on the try outs! Even I can see that and I know nothing about sport!” Junghee said while Joon was oozing with anger.

“He’s way too much of a diva, our policy is all about team spirit,” he hissed angrily. Junghee crossed her arms over her chest.

“Then it’s not a very good start to exclude people from the team without even giving them a fair chance,” she said.

“He was on the try outs, he blew his chance!”

“I don’t see what he did wrong.”

“He’s already on the team, stop nagging about it!”

“He’s on the team all because of the coach, if you had gotten to decide he would definitely not have been. What has he ever done to you?”

“It’s all because of that Key guy!” Joon seemed to regret his words as soon as he said them. Junghee narrowed her eyes.

“Key? What about him?”

“Nothing.” Joon looked down and seemed to suppress his anger. “I’m just having a bad day…”

“Are you still upset about me sharing room with a boy?” Junghee asked. Joon looked at her with a pleading face.

“Can’t you talk to the principal, ask her to let you change rooms?” he asked. Junghee shook her head.

“Just get over it Joon. If Key ever does anything to me, then I’ll let you get angry, but wait until then. Key and I are becoming friends, don’t make things hard for yourself,” she said and put an arm around Joon’s shoulders. He tilted his head sideways and peered at her.

“How angry would you let me be, exactly?”

“Pabo!” Junghee said and playfully hit him on the shoulder. “However angry you want to be.”

 

 

Joon followed Junghee to her room and met Soohyun in the corridors on their way there.

“Where are you headed?” Soohyun asked as he spotted the two of them.

“I’m just following Junghee to her… room,” Joon said.

“I’ll join you,” Soohyun immediately said and joined them. Junghee stopped in front of her door.

“So this is it.”

“Yeah?” The guys looked at the door with strange looks.

“Eh, yeah, you can go now…” Junghee said as she unlocked the door.

“Well… I just want to take a look at you room,” Soohyun said and burst past Junghee with Joon close behind him.

“He’s not home,” Junghee said with a tired voice and closed the door behind them. “Is Woohyun coming as well?”

“Nah, he had some club activity to attend,” Joon said and looked around the room as if he had just entered a spaceship.

“Cub activity? I bet he’s started paying chess,” Soohyun said. “Whose bed is this?”

“Key’s.” Junghee barely finished her sentence before Joon answered.

“Okay, good.” Both of the guys lay down and messed up the sheets. Junghee rolled her eyes and walked over to her desk, dumping her bag on it.

“Do you want some cookies?” she asked and picked up the tin box from a drawer.

“I’m trying to watch my weight, yes please,” Joon said and held his hands out as she tossed him one. Soohyun caught it midair and took a bite from it. He widened his eyes.

“Omo, they’re delicious! Where did you get these?” He looked amazed. “Did you make them?”

“You know very well that baking really isn’t my thing…” Junghee said and took a cookie of her own. “Actually, Key made them.” Soohyun wrinkled his nose.

“The aftertaste is weird,” he said and gave the cookie to Joon who just pushed it away.

“I think I’ll pass…”

“You are so stupid,” Junghee said and lay down on her bed while munching on her cookie. “You should give the guy a chance, it’s not like he has done anything wrong.” Well, yeah, what they don’t know won’t kill them…

“We all know what kind of guy he is already and if he gets a chance…” Joon said with a meaning look. Junghee rolled over to her stomach and reached her hand out for the cookie jar.

“I think we’re going to be able to live well here,” she said knowing that the guys were going to start one hell of a discussion.

 

 

Key stood still outside the door with his hand on the handle. He felt bad hearing Junghee stand up for him against her friends. He knew very well that they were right. He wasn’t a good guy. Heartbreaker, player, douche, jerk, you name it. All he cared about was his image, and maybe his friends. Growing up with his parents any other outcome was impossible. Key took a deep breath and pushed the handle down and stepped inside the dorm.

“Hello!?” he called out, pretending he hadn’t been eavesdropping at all, and kicked off his shoes. Junghee looked at Soohyun and Joon who glared at the door.

“Speaking of the devil,” Soohyun growled. Junghee tossed her pillow at him.

“Be nice,” she said and then reached her hand out for the pillow. “Give it back.”

“Get it yourself,” Soohyun huffed and glanced at it beside him on Key’s bed.

“But it’s so far,” Junghee whined and stretched her fingers out. Key glanced at her as he came into the room.

“Don’t be lazy, you could use some…” Key swallowed the end of his sentence at the sight of the boys’ devil glares. Did they know what happened before? Had she told them? He laughed awkwardly. “I’ll go to the bathroom.” In the speed of light Key disappeared into the bathroom and locked the door. Junghee immediately turned to Soohyun and Joon and gave them the evil eye.

“What did I say about giving him a chance?” she hissed.

“I can’t help it, his jerk aura makes me want to beat him up,” Joon sneered back. Junghee narrowed her eyes at him.

“You’re just as much of a playboy as he is, you don’t have a say in this. If you can’t behave then get out of here!” Junghee yelled whispering and hoped Key wouldn’t hear them.

“And leave him with you!? No way!” Soohyun blurted out. Key definitely heard that…

“That’s it, get out, you’re in that mood again. I guess today is not a good day for you to get to know each other.” Junghee stood up and gave both of the boys a hard push towards the door. “I’ll talk to you guys tomorrow.” Junghee practically threw the restive boys out of the dorm and then hurriedly closed and locked the door in the middle of their angry protests. She leaned against the door with a puff. Key stepped out of the bathroom and walked up to his bed to rearrange the sheets.

“They don’t particularly like me, do they?” he asked with his back towards Junghee. She sighed and walked up to help him.

“Did you hear everything?” she asked and grabbed the opposite corners of the sheet.

“Pretty much,” Key answered with a shrug. Junghee bit her lip.

“I’m sorry…” she said quietly as she picked up one of his pillows from the floor.

“You have nothing to feel sorry for, you just keep protecting me…” Key awkwardly scratched his head. Awkward emotional moments wasn’t really his thing and this was the second one today. Junghee smiled slightly.

“What don’t you do for your roommate?”