Night Light Seconds

Burning Snowflakes

 

6th December, 2012

Lee Jae Mi

 

The thin, long line moved a tiny tad towards right. Then another and another.

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock.

The hands beat in a steady rhythm and made everything seem even slower. My eyes were glued to the watch hanging on my wall, torturing me.

It was mocking me. The two simple hands sent me a bald laugh every time they stopped moving for a while. Like an evil force from above had decided to make everything turn slower just when I needed speed.

I urged for the seconds to pass as quickly as possible. I wanted the time to skip forward to the time where Jonghyun would throw rocks at my window, shouting that he was sorry. That he still wanted to be with me.

“It’s only a question about time”, I told myself. “Then he’ll come.”

I got angrier with my watch. As the seconds finally passed, Jonghyun didn’t show up. There was no sound of rocks hitting my window and his shouts from the streets. Just emptiness and silence.

The first many hours, I cried. I let the water run down my cheeks till there were no more water left. My tears had gone dry and all I could do was to stare at the watch on my wall.

The madness caught me as the seconds refused the pass. In my state of craziness, I tore down the watch from the wall. Out of desperation I caught the hands and forced them to move forward.

As the watch broke and stopped ticking, I shouted. “Damn clock! Why is everything around me breaking down?”

I smashed the clock into my floor and watch it shatter into a million pieces. By the loud crash, my dad hurried into my room, followed by my mum.

She gasped when she saw the mess on the floor. “Honey, what did you do?”

I stared at the previous watch in chock over my own actions. I never acted crazy like this before. What did I expect, the time to actually go forward to the point where I wanted it because I violently turned the hands?

Despite my belief of my eyes running dry, the water flushed down my cheeks. “I-I don’t know what’s happening to me”, I cried.

I let my body fall to the ground and felt the sharp pieces of the broken glass cut my hands.

 

Jonghyun was sending me a sweet smile and held up his two fingers in a ‘v’. His hair was slightly messy from the wind but he looked happy. The blue sea in the background matched his grey sweater perfectly.

I sighed and pressed the “contacts” button on my phone. I scrolled down the few people that I had coded in and stopped by Jonghyun’s name.

It would take one second to call another phone up. It had been two days since that night. 172 800 seconds had passed, 172 800 chances. Not even one used.

My fingers dialed his number and I listened to the beeping sounds.

“It’s Jonghyun?”

His voice sounded normal. No sound of anger or sadness. I didn’t know whether to be hurt or happy by that. Did he already forget about me this fast?

“Hello?” He asked again.

I quickly pressed the phone shut and threw it in the other corner of my room. Had he no feelings at all?

 

Oh god, sorry for the terrible and short chapter… Long one up tomorrow! I’ll pull myself back together.