A Cord around My Heart

Burning Snowflakes

 

As mentioned before, notice the dates! She did not just go head over heels after a week. Even if we’re taking about Mr. Jonghyun, I think that’s very inhuman, haha :) And sorry if this seems very unlikely. I am aware that people don’t fall this easily in real life, but my story is so tight -.-

 

First days of November

Lee Jae Mi

 

As the hours passed we grew closer. As the days passed our friendship became stronger. As the weeks passed I deeply fell in love with Kim Jonghyun.

It came sneaking in on me, without me even noticing. In just a few weeks everything had changed. When looked back when I first thought Jonghyun was a jerk, it seemed ridiculous.

The signs of love showed when I constantly thought about perfect he was. Everything about him was flawless, I thought.

When it really hit me was when it was no longer how perfect he was I loved, but his imperfections that made me think about him all the time.

I didn’t show any signs of my feelings in daylight. I acted like always and tried to make my urge to kiss him disappear.

But as the darkness fell over the city, I met Jonghyun every night. He looked beautiful in my dreams and he always said all the right things.

Through the cold winter nights, my dreams had taken me everywhere with Jonghyun. Our kisses were multiply, he had already proposed to me several times and we even got kids.

As the morning light woke me up, I was embarrassed over myself. I was ashamed and wished I could control my thoughts when I slept.

As Jonghyun’s face greeted me in the hallways, I kept quiet. I swallowed my upcoming words and just greeted him as friends.

It was always on the tip of the tongue. I was lucky that I accidently hadn’t blurted it out yet. Sometimes I just wanted to yell out how madly in love with him I was. I wanted to scream it on the top of my lungs.

But I swallowed my words and my feelings remained a secret. It felt like a cord was constantly tied around my heart and slowly, but painfully, choked my heart. Jonghyun’s deep brown eyes met mine and the rope tightened.

If this continued, someday I’d find my heart lifeless with Jonghyun’s name scribbled all over it. I’d rather die of love than die of cancer. I could only pray that the cord choked me first.

I stuck to my rules. I could love Jonghyun, but he would never get to know. I’d be a cruel person if I allowed Jonghyun to feel anything special for me. He’d get over a lost friend but a lover is something else.

 

I looked at Jonghyun, who was playing with my fingers. A smile covered his lips and he looked relaxed.

He chuckled when he compared my fingers to his. “How can a person have so small fingers?” he asked. “Look at these, they’re like small sausages.”

I frowned. “At least you’re having fun.” I tried to hide my fingers. They weren’t exactly the prettiest part about me.

Jonghyun looked up at me and laughed. “I actually am”, he grinned.

I grabbed his hands. “Well, look at these odd hands. You consider them nice?” I .

Jonghyun cockily flipped his hair. “At least the rest of me is perfect.”

I smirked. “Okay that’s true. I especially admire your oh-so-tall height.”

Jonghyun narrowed his eyes at me. “Yah!” he shouted. His fingers let go of mine and they found their way to my waist.

“Don’t you ever say mean things about my height again. Rather small and fast than big and clumsy”, he defended himself as he started tickling me.

“Stop - hahah - I mean it”, I laughed, trying to get a grip of myself. “S-stop.” My legs kicked the air and I desperately tried to catch Jonghyun’s hands.

“Say you’re sorry for your terrible actions”, he said as he continued torturing me.

“Y-yah. You said - haha - that my hands were like sausages. Is that considered nice?” My words were constantly interrupted by my involuntary laughs.

“But I was seriously on the edge of crying after your cruel words.”

“And I am too if you don’t stop tickling me.” I finally caught Jonghyun’s hands and he stopped tickling me.

Jonghyun didn’t move away as I stopped him. He gazed at me, making me realize how close we were.

Our bodies were pressed up against each other. His calm heartbeat beat against mine. Jonghyun stared at me, still holding my hands in his.

“Would your boyfriend like this?” He moved closer; closer to me, closer to the limit. His finger traced up my jaw line. We both knew that even if my “boyfriend” wouldn’t, Jonghyun still wouldn’t pull away.

My eyes started to dance, avoiding his eyes in shame. “I don’t have a boyfriend”, I whispered.

Jonghyun didn’t ask, but pulled my body closer. “Can I kiss you?” he asked. Somehow I found myself nodding, my brain not working properly.

Jonghyun smiled and slowly leant forward. I could easily feel his breath warm my lips. He gently laid a finger under my chin and lifted my face up.

“I’m so in love with you”, he whispered not letting my eyes go. Then, before I even could respond, his soft lips were gently pressed against mine. I barely got to feel the warmth of his lips before he pulled away and smiled at me.

But I wasn’t responding with a smile. My mind was only flying for a brief second before I landed on the ground with a large crash.

I wasn’t supposed to do this. I was only making things complicated for both of us if I accepted this confession. We’d both end in tears and only have the memories remaining.

“I’m sorry.” I removed Jonghyun’s hands from my cheeks and let the air separate our heartbeats. I turned to go but Jonghyun caught my wrist.

“Sorry”, I repeated. With that I let go of Jonghyun and let my feet take me away as fast as possible. My steps took speed and before I knew, I was running through the streets with the tears down my cheeks.