Ch. 21- Secretkeeper

The Instincts of Love

Nobody's POV:

 

Sunggyu woke up with a startle, clutching onto his shirt that he doesn't remember putting on. With as much strength he could muster up, he slowly got out of bed. A pain in his head invaded his whole body the moment his feet touched the cold floor. It was like all the blood was rushing up to his head.

Then everything that happened last night hit him. The blood that covered his body, the person at the lake, and Woohyun.

Woohyun...

Thoughts of Woohyun ran in his mind as he stood up. There is a mirror in his room so he went to check himself. When he saw himself in the mirror, he punched it right away. Pieces of the mirror fell to the ground. What he saw in the mirror made him scared and angry.

He went back to his bed and reached under his pillow for the vial of blood. Just the sight of it made him want to puke, but he had to take a drop of it everyday. If he didn't...

Sunggyu shook his head trying to get rid of the negative thoughts. As he was about to open the vial, someone knocked on his door. Like lightning, he closed the vial and hid it under his pillow.

He cleared his throat and sat on the bed trying to not look suspicious. "Y-You can come in." The door opened and in came a man he has seen many times before. Sunggyu approached the man with a smile and bowed to him. The other bowed to Sunggyu and ushered for Sunggyu to lay on the bed.

"Sunggyu, I heard what happened from Myungsoo. It seems like you were helping a first time werewolf from the Rebels."

Sunggyu looked at him and smiled slightly. The man raised Sunggyu's left arm and felt for his pulse and checked if there were any injuries on it. Then he did the same with the other arm. Sunggyu looked at the man and let out a sigh.

"Mr.--" the man gave him a stern glare, "I mean, Dr. Lee, have you checked my brother to see if he is injured?" Dr. Lee looked down at Sunggyu with a soft smile as he listened to his heartbeat.

"Myungsoo was already gone by the time I got here. You know how he is. He likes to take of others before himself."

Dr. Lee helped Sunggyu sit up and checked his back. Sunggyu's breathing and heartbeat were steady. Now, he just had to check on his blood. He got a needle from his bag and turned to Sunggyu.

"Now, this might sting a bit." Sunggyu chuckled and waved it off. "Dr. Lee, I have felt worse things then that before."

The doctor stuck the needle into Sunggyu and drew out blood. However, he wasn't expecting Sunggyu's blood to be...black. He studied the blood and held it in front of Sunggyu's face. Sunggyu turned his face away from it, biting his lips from saying anything.

"Sunggyu-ah, tell me what is this? Last time I checked up on you, your blood was not like this."

Sunggyu couldn't look into the doctor's eyes and tell him the truth. He clenched his bedsheets and let out a sigh. There wasn't anything left to hide, so he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. When he looked up, Dr. Lee gasped.

"Y-Your eyes... Don't tell me..."

Dr. Lee placed the needle and the blew he drew out in a container and sat next to you Sunggyu. "Your eyes... Actually, one of your eyes is black. What's happening to you, Sunggyu?"

The latter stood up and grabbed the vial of blood that was under his pillow. He shoved it in front of the doctor's face and smiled bitterly. Sunggyu pointed at it with distaste and disgust. The blood in the vial was crimson: pure and not tainted.

"This! This here is my blood! I've been taking drops of it everyday so my blood doesn't become black... But it's too late! My blood is already black and before I know it," Sunggyu threw the vial to the ground, shattering it into pieces, "...I'm going to become one of them. I'm going to become a Rebel."

The doctor let out a sigh and placed his hand on Sunggyu's shoulder as some sort of comfort. "I'm sorry. But you know, I can't do anything about that. It's already too late for me to do anything." He shakes his head and frowns. "It's too late, Sunggyu. The only thing you can do is try to fight it. Other than that, there is nothing else you can do."

Tears dripped down Sunggyu's face. Anger and frustration boiled inside Sunggyu as he harshly wiped away the tears. Sunggyu picked up the pieces and placed them on his desk. Then he grabbed a towel and wiped away the last of his pure blood.

"Dr. Lee, can you come back later to check up on Myungsoo? I want to make sure he isn't injured." He nodded and smiled softly at the other.

"Of course I can come back. I will be back when he gets home then. Sunggyu, take care...and I'm sorry."

Sunggyu shook his head and forced a smile on. "Don't be. This is my problem and I will take care of it. Thank you for everything you have done."

Sunggyu showed Dr. Lee out the door and watched him drive away. He gripped onto the door tightly, but not tight enough to break it. Once the car was gone, Sunggyu shut the door and went back to his room. He laid back on his bed and slowly he fell back asleep.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

"ACHOO!"

"Myungsoo, are you sick? Do you want to go back home?"

Sungyeol pressed his hand on Myungsoo's forehead to feel for a temperature, but it wasn't warm. So he slid his hand off and held onto his backpack strap. Myungsoo rubbed his nose and sniffled.

"Hm, I don't think I'm sick. I don't feel sick."

Myungsoo turned to Sungyeol and placed his hand on his forehead and the other on Sungyeol's. That, of course, caught Sungyeol off making him stumble on his words that he was just about to say. Myungsoo shook his head as he felt that both of their temperatures were the same.

"Sungyeol, are you sick? Your face is red."

Sungyeol's face was pink and now turning red. He shook his head frantically and laughed it off. Sungyeol was just glad that the other wasn't touching him anymore. "No, I'm alright. It must be the cold air getting to me."

"Really? Here, let me give you this then." Before Sungyeol could even protest, Myunsoo unwrapped his scarf and put it on Sungyeol. It was just a light scarf, but it was able to block the cold autumn air.

Sungyeol pulled the scarf up so it was covering his flushed face. He peeked up from the scarf and looked at Myungsoo. The other realized what he had done and started blushing himself.

"T-Thank you, Myungsoo. I will make sure I return this later to you."

"No problem..."

Myungsoo rubbed the back of his neck, feeling a bit embarrassed at what he did. Usually he doesn't get this close to a human or anybody! But whenever he looks at Sungyeol, there is this tight feeling in his chest that won't go away. No matter how many times he tries to think of something else, Myungsoo goes back to thinking of Sungyeol's gummy smiles.

Unconsciously, Myungsoo reached his hand out, but then dropped as a voice interrupted his actions.

"Myungsoo! Sungyeol! There you are! I wanted to see you guys!"

Both of them turned around to see Dongwoo running up to them. What shocked them the most was that he was holding onto someone's hand that was not Hoya's. They approached the Myungsoo and Sungyeol with a smile as Dongwoo introduced the stranger.

"Hey guys! I want you guys to meet Jung Yunho. I just found out he is my family's Secretkeeper!"

Sungyeol tilted his head a bit confused what was going on. Secretkeeper? He didn't understand that term really well, but what he can put together from the word, it probably means a person who keeps a secret.

"Myungsoo, what is a secretkeeper?" Sungyeol pulled on Myungsoo's sleeve to get his attention.

"In each family there is a person who keeps the family's existence a secret. Like they keep others from knowing that we are werewolves." Sungyeol nodded his head.

"I see. Then does your family have one, Myungsoo?"

Myungsoo smiled and nodded his head. "Yeah, we do. Their family have been secretkeepers for my family for a long time. Their names are--" 

"Ah! Myungsoo! Sungyeol! Don't ignore me! At least introduce yourselves to Yunho-hyung!"

What Dongwoo said made them blush as they looked at each other. Theu turned away and Myungsoo cleared his throat before he introduce himself. He held out his hand for Yunho to shake and the other gladly took it.

"Sorry for not introducing myself," Myungsoo glared at Dongwoo then back at Yunho, "But my name is Kim Myungsoo. It's nice to meet you."

"Same here. And who may this be?" Yunho turned his attention to Sungyeol, whose eyes widen at the sudden drift of attention to him. He looked down at his hand until a hand appeared in front of his sight. Sungyeol hesitantly took and shook it.

"I-I'm Sungyeol. Lee Sungyeol. It's nice to meet you too." Yunho smiled softly and chuckled. "The pleasure is mine. You must be human too, aren't you? I can't tell."

Myungsoo pulled Sungyeol away from Yunho's grasp. His eyes turned red and he emitted a low growl. As if he was protecting what is his. Dongwoo realize what was happening so he stood in front of Yunho and changed his eyes to green.

"Myungsoo, I told Sungyeol's situation to Yunho-hyung. Don't worry about it."

Both of their eyes changed back to brown and Myungsoo calmed down. He released his tight grip from Sungyeol, letting the other take a breather. Yunho noticed how possessive Myungsoo is and smirked. Like nothing happened, Yunho went back to Dongwoo's side and put an arm around the other's shoulder.

"Don't worry, Myungsoo-sshi. I won't do anything to Sungyeol unless I have to. Anyway, I have to--"

Out of nowhere, Hoya yanked Yunho's arm from Dongwoo's shoulder and pulled Dongwoo into his arms. Hoya's eyes were glowing purple and everybody else was shocked. It was like deja vu but this time it was Hoya and Dongwoo. Yunho just chuckled and smiled.

"Who are you and what are you doing with Dongwoo?! I'm his Protector, so don't you dare harm Dongwoo...or else."

Dongwoo looked up at Hoya feeling a bit stunned. He wasn't expecting for those words to come out of Hoya's mouth especially what is going on between the two of them. Though, he liked the attention he was getting from the other. So he held tightly onto the Hoya's sweater and looked down to hide his blushing face.

While Hoya was being protective over Dongwoo, Yunho just stared at them and let out a sigh. He ran his hand through his hair and smiled. Then he offered his other hand out for Hoya to take.

"I'm not here to do anything to Dongwoo. I'm actually his family's Secretkeeper." Hoya's eyes widen at the new information, for him that is, and slowly let go of Dongwoo. Though Dongwoo tightly held onto Hoya, not wanting to let go.

Hoya looked down at Dongwoo and noticed the him clutching onto him. So he held onto Dongwoo's hand in his, surprising himself and Dongwoo, and used his other hand to shake Yunho's. "Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm Lee Howon but I go by Hoya. It's nice to meet you." Yunho smiled and shook his head.

"It's quite alright. Also Myungsoo and Hoya," he looked at the both of them, "I already have someone of my own." Yunho winked at them. "Well, Dongwoo, I have to go. But call me if you need my help."

Yunho bowed to the four of them and started to walk off towards the campus where someone was waiting for them. They watched him as he left and then they looked at each other. Dongwoo and Sungyeol were still blushing a bit while Myungsoo and Hoya were feeling flustered at the situation.

Myungsoo was the first one to break the awkward silence between the four of them. "Well, I'm going to my class with Sungyeol. I will see you two later. Bye Hoya-hyung and Dongwoo-hyung." The two of them waved at Myungsoo and Sunyeol as they left too.

The only people left were Hoya and Dongwoo. Let's just say the air around them was a bit uncomfortable. Though, neither of them let go of the other's hand. They had next class together but that wasn't until another hour.

"Dongwoo, your hands are cold."

"H-Huh? Oh, I guess they are."

Hoya shook his head and gently squeezed Dongwoo's hand. Then he started to lead him towards the campus. Dongwoo was a bit confused what was going on but he was smiling the bright smile of his. Hoya's back was to Dongwoo, but the latter didn't mind. To Dongwoo, he honestly likes the sight of Hoya's back.

"Dongwoo, lets go to the café and get something warm for you to drink. I don't want you to be cold during class." Dongwoo smiled even more. The feeling of someone worrying about him made him feel all bubbly and warm inside.

Suddenly, Dongwoo stopped making Hoya stop. "Dongwoo, why did you stop all of a sudden?"

Dongwoo smiled at Hoya and then patted his head. "Thank you. Today you've been a good Protector." Hoya blushed at the comment and mumbled something to himself. They continued their way to the café with Dongwoo smiling and Hoya mumbling things to himself with pink tinted cheeks.

 

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

 

After classes were over, Myungsoo and Sungyeol went to Myungsoo's house. When they arrived home, Myungsoo called out Sunggyu's name, but there was no reponse. He tried again and again until he went upstairs to his brother's room. Sungyeol followed him after he placed his stuff down.

Myungsoo opened Sunggyu's door slowly and let out a sigh of relief to see his brother asleep. He entered the room with Sungyeol following him. But what caught Sungyeol's attention wasn't Sunggyu sleeping, but the broken mirror and glass on the desk. There were droplets of blood on the glass that was on the desk as well.

Myungsoo didn't notice right away because he was making sure his brother was okay. He sat on the edge of the bed while Sungyeol sat next to him. The moment Sungyeol sat down, something overcame him as he took Sunggyu's hand into his. A few seconds later, Sunggyu woke up.

"Oh, Myungsoo? Sungyeol? You guys are back already?"

"Hyung, it's already in the afternoon. You must have went back to sleep after he came to check up on you." When Myungsoo said that, Sunggyu remembered to call back so he grabbed his phone and called the doctor.

"Myungsoo, who is your brother calling?" He turned to Sungyeol. "He is calling someone to check up on me. Remember I called someone this morning to check up on Sunggyu-hyung? Well, he is calling that same person to check up on me. Though, I feel perfectly fine."

Sungyeol nodded his head but then shook it with a sign of disapproval. "I think you should get checked on. You may be injured badly and you just don't know."

"Really? I don't--"

"Myungsoo, he will be here in 30 minutes. And you aren't getting out of this as well." Sunggyu interrupted him and placed his phone on the bed. Then he slowly got up but stumbled on his feet. Sungyeol caught him quickly and easily, a bit surprised too. "T-Thank you, Sungyeol-sshi. You were even quicker than Myungsoo despite not being a werewolf."

Sungyeol blushed at the comment while Myungsoo scowled at his hyung. "You're welcome! It's just... Um... Well... Ugh! Nevermind!"

This cause Myungsoo and Sunggyu to laugh and smile: something Sunggyu hasn't done for a while. He patted Sungyeol's head and the latter felt a sense of warmth radiate through him. Then like a flash of lightning, Sungyeol felt pain, sadness, anger, and loneliness. He looked up at Sunggyu who was looking down at him confusion written on his face.

"What's wrong, Sungyeol-sshi? Actually, can I call ou Sungyeol? You can call me Sunggyu-hyung." He shut his mouth from saying anything that he just felt and nodded his head as an answer. "Great! I'm going to go eat something. Haven't ate all day!" Sunggyu headed out and went downstairs to the kitchen. 

"Sungyeol, did you do something to hyung? You seems...happy for once..."

"No, I don't think I did anything to him."

Sungyeol and Myungsoo just stare at the doorway until Sunggyu called both of them down. They went to the kitchen to see that Sunggyu made ramen enough for the three of them. The two of them were feeling hungry so they happily digged in.

After they were finished, Sungyeol offered to wash the dishes since telling the other two they have done so much for him already. Sunggyu and Myungsoo don't argue back and go to the living room to watch t.v. While Sungyeol is washing the dishes, there is a window in front of the sink, and there is snow falling down gently. He smiles at the sight and goes back to washing the dishes.

Though, he couldn't help but remember what happened yesterday. Seeing his brother transforming right before him and now what? Now, he just wants things to settle down for a long time. Thinking what could happen next stir his heart around. Also the sight of someone hurting Myungsoo made him feel pain.

When Myungsoo knocked him out, he still felt a pain during that time he was unconscious. Sungyeol didn't tell Myungsoo that because he felt like he was over thinking it. Also he didn't want the other to worry about him when there are bigger things to worry about.

There was a knock on the door but Sungyeol didn't hear it since he was engrossed in his thoughts. Sunggyu went to open the door and greeted the guest. Myungsoo stood up and bowed to the guest as well.

"Dr. Lee, thank you for coming earlier today to check on Sunggyu-hyung." The doctor patted Myungsoo's shoulder and smiled.

"No problem. I am your family's Secretkeeper and doctor at the same time."

A crash and shatter of cups filled with hot chocolate grabbed their attention towards the kitchen doorway. All of their eyes widen seeing Sungyeol stunned and the mess at his feet. Pain shot through Myungsoo's body and on instinct, he ran over to Sungyeol's side.

"Sungyeol, are you alright?! Do you need h--"

"D-Dad?"

Myungsoo shut his mouth and turned his head to look at Dr. Lee. Sunggyu did the same, confused what was going. To be more exact, all of them were confused.

"Sungyeol? What are you doing here?"

"Dad, I should be asking you the same thing."

The hot chocolate was burning his feet, but seeing his father there made him ignore the pain. He was confused beyond the world and now he heard his dad is a Secretkeeper for Myungsoo's family. Sungyeol looked into his father's eyes, tears falling down from frustration and confusion.

"Dad! Tell me the truth! Why are you here and how do you know Myungsoo!"

 

 

 

 

(A/N: Hi everyone! Sorry for such a late update! I finally got internet so I haven't been able to update! And I'm getting ready to go to COLLEGE! So that will take my time as well so please understand! Thank you for waiting patiently! I probably will speed things up a bit so yeah! Enjoy! ^^ Also please excuse the mistakes!)