Daehyun

The Rabbits' Asylum

My head felt empty, like my brain was gone. My eyelids fluttered and I found myself staring up at a dark ceiling.

 

This isn’t right? Am I back with the others?

 

I sat up, hitting my head against something. A large lamp on a stand had collided with me. Looking down at myself I pulled up the blanket covering my form.

 

I… I’m ?!

 

“He’s been asleep for a while hasn’t he? It will be five days at seven pm tonight.”

“The drugs should have worn off.” Cupping my ear I struggled to listen to the rest of what they were saying.

“Lucky we got to him before he got worse.” The door opened and I fell down onto my back. Whatever I was lying on wasn’t as soft as I hoped.


A man came in with a stethoscope around his neck, his companion I recognised as one as our captors. “Good to see you’re awake; Seems our English Lop has made a full recovery.”

English Lop? I should probably ask Youngjae what that is.

 

“Good news is that salmonella can be easily cured.” The doctor or vet said. “However next time I would suggest washing their food or moving its storage space. Where it was next to the raw chicken would probably have been the reason why he contracted it.”

“What about the others?” They turned to me. “My friends, what if they are sick and don’t know it?”

The man raised a hand. “Hush up you vile beast!”

“Calm down,” I was saved by the man of medicine. “I’m glad you actually got a doctor to check him; when you said I would be checking a rabbit I got worried but I see it was a misunderstanding.”

“Oh no misunderstanding sir,” I held my blanket up higher from his sneer. “They’re all rabbits.”


“Right, now that he’s alright I can get my bill?”

“Please come this way,” they went out of the room. Now the worrying came.


I glanced around, it looked like a vets’ clinic. The cages where animals would have slept were empty but the smell remained. I was on a bench similar to an operating table.


How long had I been asleep on here for? I saw a bed on the side, a pillow with a blanket half off half on the mattress. If I didn’t know better I recognised my scent drifting from it thanks to the fan in the corner.

 

I got up, wrapping the blanket awkwardly around me as I searched for my clothes. I couldn’t find them. What I did come across was pale mint, green pyjamas that looked like they may fit me. I slipped them on, relieved to not be anymore.

 

My legs wobbled a bit as I tried to walk. The team needed me in good condition so I could help with our escape. However right now my body seemed to be fragile I wonder if I had eaten lately.


“We should see if he’s awake and give him something to eat.” Footsteps pounded down to where I was. I hurriedly got back onto the bench, sitting upright. They came through, the same man as before but without the doctor. One of the men had something in a tray. On top was a bowl with steam escaping from it.

 

“Looks like our English Lop had a walk.” One of them commented while the other handed me the tray. Seaweed soup, a large serving of the green aquatic plant floated in the bowl.

 

Not my choice in food but it would serve a nice change from all the carrot I’d consumed.
“Don’t take it the wrong way,” I was warned just as my hands picked up the spoon. “After you’ve recovered you’re to go back to the carrots.”

“I think it isn’t a good idea.” The opposed man raised his eyebrows at his partner.


“Explain why you think this is Mr Moon.”

“I think the excess vegetable could cause diarrhoea which would lead to other complications such as dehydration.”

“Look here,” he grabbed the collar, whispering but I only just made it out. “We are not to help them stay civilised. Our task is the opposite remember?”

“Mmm,” I made that noise out of habit. “Good soup.”

“See, they can still talk, we aren’t meant to be encouraging it!”

“Well I’m sorry but your methods aren’t working fast enough.” He grabbed the man’s wrist and freed himself. “You have to tell your superior that you can’t expect them to suddenly conform into an animal like state straightaway. The best you can do at this rate is hypnosis.”

Why would they want hypnosis?

Then, I realised what it was for. They wanted us out of our minds, crazy, delusional. I had to tell the others, but I couldn’t. I had no idea where I was or how far away I was.

“You can’t do it now. He heard you, the moment he gets back to his friends he’s going to spill the beans.”

“I doubt anything we say will be of any effect.” Mr Moon scoffed. “Look at him. He’s scared stiff.” I agreed but of course I didn’t show it through my fear. “We can keep an eye on him but I don’t think he’s going to be of any danger to us. Not like the others of course. Schedule in the hypnosis soon so we can begin; maybe during it we can find out why they have come to the North.”


I didn’t want to follow them as they walked me down the halls to our confinement. I wanted to run, escape as fast as I could and not look back. Something bad was going to happen and once again I would be no help.


********************************

On a sidenote I’m thinking I should start proof reading before submitting. I usually write as I update and then check it after the story’s finished. Stay tuned people.