Yongguk

The Rabbits' Asylum

The plan was all set we now needed the right time to attack. All of us except for Jun Hong were seated in our cage, pretending to be bored. One of the familiar faces in a white coat stood to the side, jotting down notes. He was off guard. Perfect timing for what we had planned.

 

I glanced at Himchan, winking at him before he moved. The man lifted his head but then went back to work. Himchan placed himself near the water bowl. We all rose to prepare, waiting for him to act. As we discussed he grabbed the bowl and then carefully tipped it to his lips. He drank a bit and dropped the container abruptly, scattering the water on the floor.


“H-hyung are you alright?” Jongup asked, feigning concern. Himchan bent over, pretending to cough. After a while this got our guard’s attention. He tucked the notepad under his arm and came a little closer. “Is he alright?”


Jongup kept up the ruse. “He doesn’t seem good.” The man sighed, getting out his key as he went to the door. This was good. We waited in anticipation. Youngjae whispered to Daehyun who shuffled closer to Himchan and Jongup. The man put a hand on Himchan’s shoulder. “Are you ok? Did you swallow something the wrong way?”


Now


Himchan stopped coughing, removed his hand and gave him a malicious smile. This startled the man so Jongup jumped forward slicing the air with a fierce kick to his nuts. Screaming in pain he dropped to his knees, grabbing the pained area. This brought us a sense of satisfaction and justice.

 

While his attention was averted, Daehyun and Youngjae seized him at both sides. They locked his arms firmly behind him. Now he was stuck I went over and glared at him.
“Where is he?” I exclaimed.  

He didn’t answer. My hand found his left cheek. “Where is he?!”  I said it a little louder. That was when the swine started to laugh.
“Your friend won’t be found. This place is bigger than any fun maze you’ll…”
My fist was clenched at the time he mocked us. So I inflicted another means of damage, using the same cheek as before.

“Hyung,” Youngjae stared at me. The man was non responsive, his head dropped.

Daehyun gasped, wide mouthed. “He’s dead.”


Youngjae checked his pulse. “No, just out cold,” we let the man fall to the ground. Even as his head banged on the floor he still didn’t wake. “Let’s hurry.” We searched him over and left with his keys, radio, and identification.


“Where do we go?” Daehyun asked as we walked outside. The air from the hallway tasted strange to us. We all ran for cover into a nearby open room as a man walked past, carrying a large gun.

“We should find a way out,” Youngjae began. “If we can get our hands on a map then maybe our best means of escape is through a fire stairwell or similar. Otherwise there will be emergency exits and possibly a laundry chute.”

“I’m not going in anything that is full of smelly underwear,” Himchan declared. His protest speech had to be stopped as we heard footsteps coming.  I ushered everyone to be quiet, praying that our cover wouldn’t be blown.

It was only when the men passed us that we closed the door. I twisted the handle to lock us in, but the click it made was loud, dangerously loud. A moment passed and nothing happened. All of us let out the breath we’d held in.

I quickly started to talk. “Ok here’s the plan. We need another radio transmitter and disguises.”

“And how do you expect us to get our hands on some?” On cue the rest of the team glared at Himchan. Fortunately Youngjae our brain was already thinking up some methods.


“We can always knock out some guards and seize their weapons?”

“And how do we knock them out?”

At that moment our ears were inflicted with a painful noise. We all covered our ears looking at each other in panic. “Hyung, what if they’re looking for us?”

“Alright we’re changing plans. The first person who runs by we steal their radio. We’ll meet up in the nearest bathroom.” I opened the door almost bumping into someone going past. However they paid no attention to me but to where they were headed. I started to walk briskly; I wasn’t able to run yet.
 

“Where are you going?” I heard Daehyun call.


“I have to try and find Jun Hong!”

They kept yelling after me but I couldn’t look back. A man stopped to stare at me but a blow to the nose stopped him. I grabbed his radio before starting to run. I got around the corner, down the hall, up a flight of stairs and into the nearest room.

“Him, Day, Young and Up can you hear me over?” The radio hissed and buzzed but there came no response. I sighed, keeping calm in this situation was no easy task.


I had to find Jun Hong. He was my responsibility. I looked after him and in return he did what he was asked, regardless of his inexperience. We had a strange hyung and dongsaeng relationship despite not being related by blood.


Slowly I opened the door, exposing myself to the unknown. “Hyung,” I turned around. Jongup was running down the hall towards me.


“What are you doing?! You need to stay with the others!”

“But you need help,” he said. We ducked as a gun fired. Within the split second of the man’s round running out, Jongup charged at the man tackling him to the floor. Seizing the gun he emptied the bullets and bashed the shooter’s head with it.

“I’m the fastest and most agile member in the team.”


“Alright fine I’m not going to argue with you.” Jongup checked the man over and took his ID as well as his radio. He stood up, checking the area. Suddenly he knelt beside the unconscious body, starting to undo the buttons on the man’s jacket.

“What are you doing?” I grabbed him by the collar. “We have to take cover and figure out where Jun Hong is.” We went down the end of the hall and closed the door. It was a storage cupboard so there wasn’t much room for us to stand.

“I’m sorry hyung,” he said between pants. “I didn’t think about it.”

I shook my head at him. “I can tell! You don’t seem to be thinking over anything anymore! Which reminds me why you are fighting with Daehyun-ah and Youngjae?!”

He shook his head. “It’s hard to explain,” men’s voices rang through the hall. Jongup opened his mouth to speak but I covered it with a hand. I slowed my breathing, ears open to their dialogue.

“Which way did they go?!”

“They went that way!”

“Search the area,” the movement died down. I released Jongup who exhaled loudly. I put a finger to my lips.


“Shh we don’t know what they’re doing. They could have some men left to patrol around in case we turn up.” I glanced around the shelves and the cleaning equipment. We needed to find anything that would help.


I picked up a bucket, peering through the items. “Look for cleaning sprays.” There were names of strange chemicals including the dreaded black skull with yellow background on some. In the end I picked one with a spray nozzle, medium in size. Based on the instructions given I assumed it was a window cleaner.


Jongup got one with a screwed on lid and blue in colour. “Why do we need these again?”

“I’ll explain in a minute—wait.” I’d found it. The lighting was poor and it was rather complex but it was what we needed. Jongup came and stood next to me.

“It’s a map with the emergency routes marked.” I traced my finger over the lines. There were at least a dozen floors in this place. How were we meant to know where to go? Most of the rooms were labelled with one number and letter. There were so many of these that my head was starting to spin. The only places that weren’t categorised were the bathrooms; the floor levels themselves and the storage facilities.

Jongup’s eyes widened and he pointed to a spot. “Hey this is where we are.”


“Are you sure?” He shook his head, I sighed. “Damn. This is too confusing. There’s no knowing where Jun Hong is.”

“Hyung, let’s try the floor above.”


It couldn’t hurt. “Ok let’s hurry. We need to find the others if possible.” With caution we opened the door. The sirens were still beeping but no one was about. We stepped out. I held my bottle up in front of me, circling as I walked. Jongup lugged the bottle with him, his bicep bulging.


“Put that down its too heavy for you to bring.”

“But it may help us hyung.”

“I said put it—“

“—Hey there they are!” Without arguing further I pulled Jongup after me as some men chased after us. I heard Jongup twisting the plastic lid on his item and felt our speed dropping.


“Jongup what’s the hold up?!” I hissed. He tossed the lid away and started to pour the liquid. The floor behind us was now covered in the blue substance. Soon they caught up with us, only to slip and slide on the unstable ground.

 

Jongup caught up with me, chucking the bottle away.  He eagerly grinned at me, pleased with himself. “How did I do hyung?”


“Fine,” I said before we saw men running towards us. One came too close so I squirted him in the face. He stopped where he was, hands to where I’d hit him. Guns went off so we ducked and dodged. The training from the Headquarters had taught us that it was best to keep moving to reduce chances of impact.

Peering to the side I saw familiar steel doors and a black screen on the top. Quickly standing I pressed the button, narrowly missing a bullet. Now I was stationary I’d put myself in danger of getting hit. Jongup the fool stopped moving and leaned back against the wall.


The men came closer, the fire getting too much. The doors opened. We jumped in. Jongup frantically grabbed my arm. “Press the button press the button!”


“Hang on—“

We heard the doors slide open. A whistle came as something flew through the air. I only had a quick glimpse of it, the end was red. I heard Jongup yell.

His grip on my arm weakened. “Jongup,” I exclaimed. He glanced at his shoulder. We both saw it, like a syringe but with a tuft on the end. “No don’t fall asleep!” But his knees wobbled, body becoming limp and eyes shutting.


“Wake up Jongup! Wake up-oww,” I cursed. My hand stung. It was then that I too saw the dart stuck in on the top of my hand. I blinked, beginning to feel drowsy too. Footsteps crowded in, guns cocking as they stepped closer towards us.


It was over. We’d been defeated. As my eyes started closing I looked at the armed men, a dark poison starting to cloud my heart like acid reflux.


“Y-you bastards—“


********************************************************************

Well I’m sorry that I did this. Only because you all probably want them to escape but I cannot allow that yet.