Daehyun

The Rabbits' Asylum

These guys… I don’t know what I did in my past life to deserve their mercy.


I felt so terrible for what I’d done. In my mind and heart I honestly believed they would turn away and not look at me.

But these guys… They hadn’t abandoned me. With warm, open arms they had allowed me access into their presence again. I would spend a lifetime trying to re-gain that trust however I was more than prepared to do that.

 

They didn’t give me a lot of time to wipe my wet eyes. “Ok Daehyun we need your help in this.” Yongguk said.
 

“Yes of course, anything hyung.”

“When we get a radio, can you send them on a goose chase?”


I agreed. We crowded around the door to check it was clear before coming out. Creeping down the hall we made it to the end just as a staff member was walking to the door.

The moment as they were about to open the door Yongguk hyung pushed it hard at them. Their head bent back and they thudded onto the floor. Getting the radio the others became quiet as I spoke into the device.


“This is the Hare do you read me over?”

“Yes we hear you loud and clear over.”

Glancing at the others our leader gave me thumbs up before I continued. “We’re going to the top floor I repeat we’re heading to the top floor.”

“Ok copy that.”


When the radios went quiet we all cheered and I got a few pats on the back. However I could see one of the members was still a bit sceptical about me.
“Are you sure they’ll take the bait?”

Being under Himchan hyung’s scrutiny was a little intimidating. “Yes hyung.” I said with a nod. “They still think I’m on their side.”

Making his bottom lip go inward he allowed himself to agree. “Alright then, just wanted to be safe that’s all.”

Yongguk looked as if he was going to drag him aside for a private word but didn’t. We went to the stairs and hurried down them. There were several flights before we would reach the bottom.


There was a bang from above our heads. “—someone’s coming!” Jongup said alarmed. We all became still, waiting for the tiniest sign that our cover was or could be blown.


Moments passed and we were safe to resume again. The panic of being caught again gave us an urge to pick up the pace. When we got to the first floor we saw only a few guards which appeared to be off duty. One of them was flirting with the secretary.


Glancing at the nearest switch Yongguk hyung urged Jongup over there with his eyes. Jongup carefully crawled on the floor just underneath it before starting to rise. We then slowly did the countdown.

 

3

 

2

 

1


The lights were switched off. There was murmuring as the people were suddenly submerged in the darkness. Himchan and Jongup ran to the guards, sparring against them while people began yelling in the confusion. Zelo kept his hand over the light switch while I joined them along with our leader.


“We got some car keys.”

 

“Good get to the door now!” All of us ran out the front door just as the lights were being turned back on. Now we had to track down the car just like before.


“What do you reckon?” It looked like a Toyota.

“Who had the keys?” Yongguk hyung asked.


Himchan returned them to his person. “It was a guard. So that would be the staff parking I guess?”

Now we were going to have a bigger problem than before. The parking for staff was about two levels high and the exit and entrance had a booth with one guard in each.
 

All of us became a little anxious. Himchan hyung had to ask the obvious “How do we get in without being caught?”


“We can crawl?”

Zelo had a point. If we were lucky and they were stupid we could get pass without any difficulty. Going to the road we realised that it was blocked by a barrier that moved up and down. All of us went to the side, crouching behind some bushes. Sooner or later a vehicle would enter and then we could use it as a cover.


A red old model drove in. There was a few precious seconds to go behind it and run in before they noticed. All of us gathered around the sides and the back. The driver passed up his ID for confirmation. There was a beep as the barrier was lifted up and the car began to slowly drive in.


“Hey what are—“

They’d seen us. But we had gone in under the barrier just as it was closing and in the car park.
“Split up. The first one to find the car must honk the horn!”

“Won’t that give our position away hyung?”

“We’ve already been seen it won’t make much difference.”

 

Good point. I ran with Zelo and Yongguk hyung to the stairs on the second level. The guards were still trying to find us. When we were on the second level of the car parks Zelo and I were told to split up and go down the two rows of cars to try and hide.

Thanks to my short height I crawled under a car and lay there flat. Zelo looked as if he was going to have trouble.

Yongguk hyung was becoming anxious for our maknae. “Quickly Junhong the guard’s just on our tail!”

 

He was struggling. Most of the good spots were behind cars or under them and his height disadvantaged him for both.


“Hyung I don’t know what to—“

“—Hey you there!” I froze as a gun went off. I had no idea of what happened but Zelo looked as if he was still standing. That was a relief at least. I saw the maknae running towards the end of the park from the obscure angle of view I had.


“Zelo take cover!” Our leader’s voice would become hoarse at this rate. I couldn’t see where he was hidden or where the maknae had managed to disappear to.


The guard was becoming impatient. We saw him run up and down the parks but unable to see where we were. Come on Himchan hyung did you two find the car?

Then there was a honk. All three of us could move. Slowly when the guard had his back turned I crawled out and began to slowly go towards the stair well. The other two came and followed.


“That was close.” I said with Zelo nodding like one of those gold cats with the moving paws.


“We’re not out of the woods yet.” Yongguk hyung advised us, overtaking me and causing us to halt at the door. Pausing he waited before opening it. There with a guard pointing his gun at one of the tyres was a car that was out of the park, stationary in the middle.


How were we going to get there with that road block?


Yongguk was grasping at his pocket. I saw a pearl of sweat run down the back of his neck. And then he just ran at the guard. The timing was too hasty. Zelo and I could do nothing.

“Hyung what are you doing?!” We both ran to the car.


The guard shot at him, the tarmac getting sparks from the bullets. Yongguk quickly spun his body to kick him in the side, the gun going off again as it landed on the floor.

While he was down Yongguk grabbed him by the neck, an orange jar with the lid off in one hand. He forced the man to open wide, choking and spluttering a little bit of powder going into the mouth. His eyes suddenly shut and body going floppy.

“Quickly,” Yongguk began, “into the car.” Jongup opened a passenger door and we all climbed in. He quickly opened the front passenger door for Yongguk hyung.


“We need an ID or something to escape.” Jongup began. “Did anyone grab one?”

“We’ll just have to drive through!” Himchan pressed hard on the pedal. The tyres squeaked as the car zoomed towards the exit.


“Get down!” He yelled as the barrier drew closer. I closed my eyes. There was a sound of wood cracking and when we all looked we saw the outside road towards the main gates.


Jongup leaned forward in his seat to Himchan hyung. “Well done hyung that was awesome!”

Satisfied with the praise received our driver gave a laugh. “We’re going to make it, we’re going to make it!”

“Wahoo,” Jongup yelled with the rest of us giving all calls of our excitement. “We’re going to make it we’re going to make it.”

Yongguk leaned to the side in his seat, his hand firmly on his shoulder. “Which hospital was Youngjae in again?”

“Umm,” Himchan said with little to no help. “I don’t remember.” Peering in the rear view mirror he asked us the same thing. “Which hospital is Youngjae in?”

Now the three of us had to think. “Wasn’t it H-Hoeryong something?”

 

“Yes that’s it.” Himchan nodded. The big gate came into few. “So now how will we get out of here?”

“Drive through?” Zelo naively suggested.


Himchan looked as if he was going to laugh. “A nice thought Junhong but I don’t think it will work.”

Jongup who had been glancing at the floor looked up. “Well we’d better think of something fast.”

“Why do you say that?”

Lifting his hand with the palm up what we saw made us gasp. It had a familiar, sticky, crimson liquid we were all familiar with. “It’s not mine, it came from in front. Leader hyung’s been shot.”

 

*********************************************************************
Uh oh, I said no more torture but that doesn’t mean there won’t be further injuries sorry >_<