Jongup

The Rabbits' Asylum

I think we’re losing it. Everyone’s tense, we’re hungry, thirsty and sleepy. Carrots are barely enough to feed us let alone satisfy our appetites. Plus our ‘bed’ stinks from Himchan’s piss.

 

For a while Yongguk was watching Himchan and Daehyun. Probably because they were to be the most vulnerable out of us all. Youngjae was plotting out escape routes by making a map out of sawdust bits and Zelo… Well he’s doing his best to cope.

Himchan let out a moan.“How long have we been in here?” We couldn’t see anything that gave us a measurement of time. No calendar, no clock, nothing. Youngjae lifted his head. Incidentally he had been listening, but you wouldn’t have known.


“I would say… Maybe three days give or take?”

“That explains why we reek,” Himchan made the error of sniffing his armpit. “Woo, I need a shower and fast.” Everyone then had to either turn away or cover their noses for we could smell it even if we were at the other end of our enclosure. Daehyun joined Youngjae in constructing a possible escape plan.


This picture seemed a little unusual. Maybe it was the fact Youngjae shifted a little closer to Daehyun and they talked so quietly that they may as well have been whispering.

 

It couldn’t be…

 

No

 

I didn’t think Youngjae would…

 

Maybe I had been right?

Things about Youngjae had always caused me to question his tastes. The way he presented himself, how he joked about with the others when we met as a team for the first time. He’d gone and hugged all the members and then proceeded with  awkward aegyo. And there was also that time when I asked if he could go to the gym with me but ended up cancelling just to go with Daehyun. Thinking this over made me scratch my head.

 

Oh well so what if he does?! That doesn’t matter.

 

But at headquarters, if they knew, it could get ugly.

 

“Hey Jongup, come here for a moment.” I was called over by Yongguk who was close to the gate. I went over to him and greeted him with respect. If we were polite to our leader, chances were that he would mention it at the next meeting and the head of board would reward me. “Do you think you would be able to squeeze past the men when they come and see us next?” For a moment I just checked the gate, imagining the scenario in my head.


“Would it be open enough?”


“If it wasn't, what would you do instead?”

“Tie their shoelaces together?” He and Himchan sighed. “Well why not?” I counteracted.


“What if they don’t wear shoes with laces?” Himchan objected. “Then we would be screwed.”

“I’ll think of something.” Yeah what, my mind wanted to know. I needed Youngjae’s input, however I could wait.

 I needed to do something to help; but how? I admit that before I joined the organisation I was interested in dancing. I danced everyday for hours on end, neglecting chores, school work and girls. My family grew concerned for me, my hyung’s didn’t know how to approach me.
 

Family; when would we ever see them again? When would we see our mums, dads and siblings?

The thought suddenly choked me up. I hadn’t exactly left home on good terms. I’d gotten in trouble for not cleaning my room plus when I told them about the mission it didn’t go down well either. I can still imagine my mum’s words to dad about how she wanted me to not go.

I closed my eyes, wanting to rid myself of the memories. Instead it brought an empty lonely longing.
“What’s wrong hyung?” Zelo asked who was now with me as well as Yongguk and Himchan. I breathed out.

“Hyung,” Youngguk looked at me. “Will we get home? Will we be able to see our families again?”

Himchan seemed concerned; his lips straightened into an expressionless line. Zelo's face fell. He was the youngest member but nevertheless it still hit him like it did with me; a pile of rocks. I turned to Daehyun and Youngjae who had been listening, they were the opposite of happy. Our leader  didn’t know what to say, he scratched the back of his neck, eyes down to the floor and speaking almost too softly.


“I don’t know…”

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON’T KNOW?!” I hadn’t meant to yell. The anger shifted off me a moment later. “Hyung… I need to see them. I’ve been a bad son.” This was the first time I had raised my voice at our leader. He wasn't that strict to us, when we were off duty he was gentle, approachable.


“We all miss our families.” Youngjae spoke, his eyes moist, “however we shouldn't mull on that and try to escape. I’m doing my best here to come up with a plan.” I nodded, raising my hand to wipe my eyes.


“We’re all in the same boat.” Yongguk hyung agreed. “Unfortunately I cannot guarantee anything as such. We’re hungry, malnourished and confused. Try not to look at the situation as it really is. Believe that we will escape from here; have that little bit of hope.”

 

Hope it’s such a pure word. Hope is all we have .

 

**********************************************************************************************************************************

I hope you guys are ok with me not writing much for each chapter. I’m still getting the feel for each of the members and as I go on I’ll develop into their characters more. I’m also still thinking up the plot so if there are any holes then I’ll go back and fill them in after writing the whole story.