Youngjae

The Rabbits' Asylum

It was agonising waiting for the man to come. We wanted to get it over and done with. However as the day seemed to pass there was no sign of change. Maybe it was because I was impatient with how things were.

 

Daehyun hyung, please wait a bit longer.

 

“What’s the time?” Youngguk asked me. I glanced around to look for the clock.

 

“Quarter to seven,” I said.


“In that case from now on we are to note the times the men come in and when they...” Our leader stopped as we received visitors. What excited us even further was the third person with them. Aside from his clothes he looked the same.


“Daehyun,” we all waited at the door as they unlocked it.


“They seem pretty happy,” one of them commented. We didn’t care; we came around our team member and hugged him. I got in first while Youngguk patted him on the head. Jongup and Zelo joined in with the group hug.


“Now Mr Kim, be on guard when you start observing them tomorrow.” One of the men said.

“Of course, I will come prepared.” The two didn’t bother to wait around and left without as much as looking at us.


“We missed you Daehyun,” Youngguk told him with the rest of us agreeing.


He nodded. “I’m happy to be back,” at that moment he lowered his head his eyes starting to tear up. We joked about it as he cried on my shoulder but it was just a ruse to hide the fact we were all starting to tear up as well.

 

I glanced at Youngguk who had lowered his head. Himchan’s lips were pursed he had nothing to hide behind. Zelo just let the tears run with ease and Jongup had turned his face away.

 

The tears of our team weren’t anything special except it was the first time that we’d really cried like this together. We’d been told and advised to leave your emotions at home and go into each mission like we had a heart of stone.

 

However we couldn’t. We were still young; we didn’t understand why so we’d hidden them in pocket just in case they would be for some use. The tension of our situation, the concern for each other and the longing for home was what brought up the overall bittersweet tear flood.

 

Eventually we managed to get ourselves together. We sat down in a circle to talk with Daehyun.
“What happened? You were gone for almost a week.”

“They said I had salmonella.”

“You had salmonella?!” Himchan swore and Jongup frowned at him. I was pretty flabbergasted myself.
“Wow hyung that can be pretty serious.” I said to him. “Did they say how you may have contracted it?”

“They think it was from raw chicken near carrots.”

“The pricks,” Himchan got more scowls. “What? That’s our food that could be contaminated for all we know!”

Daehyun wanted to get our attention and he did by stammering. “B-b-but that’s not the really important thing I have to say.”

Our leader gestured for him to continue. “Say what it is you heard.”

“They’re going to hypnotise us.”

We all froze. The shock of it seemed to render us speechless. Eventually I had to speak up.
“This could be a problem hyung,” I said addressing Yongguk hyung. “If they hypnotise us then the organisation, our family, friends and the whole of South Korea could be in danger.”

“Will you chill?” Himchan said. “It’s not just us that have a mission here. From what I remember our sunbaes are infiltrating the red light district to get information from the low lives and the .”

“Don’t say anymore,” Yongguk scolded him. “Their ears are underage.”

“Hey,” Jongup exclaimed. Zelo protested with buzzes and hums.


“It’s true, but we have to be extra careful. If we don’t get out by the time they are ready to wave a watch in front of us.”

“It may not be a watch hyung—“

“—Not the point Youngjae-ah,” I nodded, lowering my head. “As I was saying it’s vital that we get out of here by tomorrow.”

 

“Wait,” Daehyun blinked dumbly. “Why are we getting out then?” I put an arm around my confused hyung.
“I’ll explain to you soon.” And so I did.

 

That evening when we were settling down I stayed close to Daehyun, enjoying his presence more than before. We were closest to each other in age; we only had a year of difference while our leader was older than him by around three.


However I couldn’t get to sleep. I wanted to rest more than anything, crying had made me slightly tired but at the same time I longed for conversation with him. Dry, simple chit chat like the seaweed soup we ate on our birthdays. As bland as it was sometimes it reminded us of the hardship our mothers endured by giving birth to us. I heard about the process; it does not sound pleasant.

 

“Hey hyung,” he murmured as he heard me. His head was resting on my shoulder. “Do you remember when we entered that talent competition for the new members of the organisation?” One thing we had in common was that we could sing, he had a better range but since he was grateful that I enjoyed the same hobby as him he taught me a few tricks to improve.

He yawned before answering. “Yeah, we sung that English song I think. But I cannot remember who sings it.”

“John Lemon I think.” My answer made him chuckle softly.

“Oh Youngjae that isn’t him; I think that’s John Lennon.”

“Was it Lennon?” We were both confused. In the end we just laughed. My head leaned to the side which his was on, his hair felt soft.

“Do you remember how it goes?”

He started to hum a tune and then it turned into words. “We’re just ordinary people. We don’t know which way to go.”

“Cuz we’re ordinary people. Maybe we should take it slow.” He then did the part that repeated, adding a little flair to it.
“I can’t remember the rest,” I admitted feeling silly.


“Me neither,” both of us just sighed. I heard him breathe out and then he was silent. I looked over at him, I pondered for a moment. Right now it was a good time. He wouldn’t hear hence I would not be questioned about it later.

 

“We missed you hyung, I really missed you. Ask the others and you would know.”

I really did miss you.


But do you know what I hope?

I hope that you missed me too.


***************************************************************

I just realised that I don’t have a single copy of any of B.A.P’s songs >_< looks like I’ll be getting them off iTunes or something when I’m getting stable income again. Technically part of this was awkward to write but I won’t say which. Enjoy the update and I will do it again in 2 weeks so anticipate, comment and love.