Youngjae

The Rabbits' Asylum

I was woken that afternoon by the same nurse from before. She wrapped the band around my arm to check my blood pressure and she also had a look at the wound.

“Well that is a relief. You’re healing well. In a couple of days you can be dismissed.”

This was great. I felt my spirits soaring. I could get out of here and save my team. She smiled at me. It must have been because I was over the moon.

“You’ll still have to keep the stitches in for another week but otherwise you can go home.”

“Thank you noona I’m so relieved.” She was taken aback by me calling her that. There was sudden noise, people running down the hall. Someone gave an exclamation and then came a person apologising.


That voice. I’m sure I’ve heard it before.
“Youngjae are you here?!” The sliding door was opened, the nurse and me both turned to face the people that barged in.

 

I couldn’t believe it. They were here. My members, my friends, they were here. “Hyung, Jongup-ah, Zelo what are you guys doing here?”

Daehyun bent over from panting. Jongup leaned against the foot of my bed while Zelo tried not to keel over. “W-We came to find you.” Daehyun hyung began. “But leader hyung… He was hurt on the way here.”


It couldn’t be.

 

I looked at him in disbelief. “H-how did he get hurt?”

“We hijacked a car; guards came and shot at us. He was grazed in the shoulder. Himchan hyung is with him now.”

Slowly I nodded, my heart falling. Daehyun and the others glanced at the nurse. She made a small bow with her head and told me that she would come back later. We appreciated her courtesy.


“I don’t understand.” I began as they all sat around the bed, Jongup on the edge of my bed. “How did you get out of there? The place would have been heavily guarded.”

“We almost didn’t make it.” Jongup admitted with a sheepish grin. “There was an obstacle that blocked our exit attempt the first time.” Daehyun gave Jongup a scowl.

He quickly continued on, unable to look at Daehyun hyung. “Anyway we had to drive straight through the final barrier at the main entrance.”

“You did what—“

“—the shock nearly made Yongguk hyung pass out.”

 

Now I wanted to faint. How did I end up in a group with such reckless members? Daehyun nudged Jongup in the side before facing me.


“Let’s just say we were lucky.”

That suited me just fine. Better that they didn’t give me any more details in case I ended up having a heart attack. Daehyun peered at me. “How are you? Can you walk?”

“I can be dismissed in two days according to the nurse from before.” I heard Jongup breathe out heavily. Alarm ran over me, the other two looked dejected. “Why? What is the matter?”

“We’re breaking out of this place as soon as we can.”

“We’re leaving today?”

Daehyun nodded. Zelo spoke up after being quiet. “The aliens couldn’t keep us trapped forever.”

Ah we would have to take him to a psychiatrist when we returned home.


“But if Yongguk’s injured then how are we going—“

Daehyun interrupted. “We don’t have a choice Youngjae. Himchan hyung’s making a bargain with a doctor to stitch him up, put his arm in a sleeve and discharge him. But it’s you we’re going to have a problem with.”

He was right about that. “But I can’t just walk out of here.” Then another thought came to my mind. “How do we even get out of this God forsaken north? It won’t be easy.”

Now the others realised that I had a point. They all glanced at each other and at me, trying to think of what to do.
“How did we come in here the first place?” For once Zelo didn’t mention anything about stupid aliens!


It had been a while since we took up the challenge to try and complete our mission. All of us had to pause to further think. Jongup who had been looking up at the ceiling then suddenly lowered his gaze back down.
 

“Ah, we came in the back of a truck didn’t we?”

“Yeah we climbed into the back and when we were over the other side we jumped out before the driver noticed.”

“So should we go back to that place where they have those vehicles sneak in and out?”

We had been there before. There was a small hole in the security that allowed cars, bikes and vehicles in and out without suspicion or questioning from either side. However apparently it was hard to locate and you needed a vehicle that would not be raise suspicions. Also it was only open for one hour at night.


“Will we be able to find it again?”

“I’m sure it’s not that hard to find.” I assured them. “Besides, if we can remember any of the landmarks or road names on the way there that will benefit us greatly in re-tracing our steps.”

“Ok so now we just need to find a way to sneak out of here.”

That was true. With me in the hospital bed gown walking out would be impossible. Plus the six of us would cause raised eyebrows because of our striking hair colours. That was when I had a brainwave.


“Ah let’s use an ambulance! We can turn on the sirens when we need a quick escape and can go out of the country with ease. They’ll think that we’re attending to a case that happened just behind their side of the border.”

The others slowly started to agree. We weren’t confident enough that it would be completely fool proof but it was better than nil.
 

“Youngjae hyung can be pushed to the ambulance in his bed.” Jongup began. “If you get that noona to push you towards an operating theatre we’ll swap and go to where the ambulances are parked.”

“You and Zelo hurry there now. On the way go to where Yongguk and Himchan hyung and tell them what we’re doing.”

Jongup nodded, starting for the door. “Alright be there in half an hour or we’ll leave you behind.” Daehyun hyung and I wanted to clobber him for that but we knew he was kidding. They said bye and went, Jongup dragging a slightly blank Zelo with him.

 

Now it was just me and Daehyun hyung. He sat there, hands in his lap avoiding my gaze. He wanted to say something I knew it. Why he was holding back I didn’t know.


Eventually he swallowed, I watched his Adam’s apple go down. “Youngjae-ah I should have told you before but—“

I caught his eye, he paused. “If you’re going to tell me what I think it is then I understand…”

Surprisingly he shook his head. “No, it isn’t that.” Fumbling with his hands Daehyun hyung continued on with his voice more nervous than before. “I…I betrayed the team.”


What.


He… He betrayed them?


“What did you do?” I couldn’t believe how hysterical I sounded. “Why did you do what you did?”

His eyes met mine, his gaze full of guilt. “If I had refused… You would be dead.”

My mind went into a shut down. I fell back against the bed unable to grasp what he’d told me. He’d sacrificed their trust for my life?

Daehyun swallowed, starting to speak again, “Youngjae-yah, say something.”

“Hyung…” I slowly looked at him again. “You feel nothing for me yet you’d risk your freedom just to see me safe? Why would you do that?”

“It’s not that I don’t feel anything—“

 

“—but you don’t!” I didn’t mean to shout. “I know you hyung! I see it in your eyes. I’m a team mate to you only but you hide behind your shy nature!”
 

His troubled gaze pierced me. I saw the worry and anxiety in his eyes. His gaze was slowly getting more and moister with each passing second. Stopping for a moment he wiped his eyes.

“I’ve done a terrible thing by putting it off.” He sniffed and had to wipe again. “Youngjae, can you forgive me?”

I nodded, my own eyes feeling damp. Despite the anger I had towards him hurting the team and not rejecting me he was still a dear friend.


“I already did hyung.” Opening my arms he came and we embraced deeply. At least as friends we could still hug like this without shame. Nothing would be awkward between us or the members.

 

The door opened and the nurse came in. She hesitated at the doorway. “I can come back later.”

“Noona wait!” Stopping she turned and gave us her attention. “Can you help us with something?”

Her face became puzzled as stood at an angle to us. “What is it?”

“Can you push me in my bed to an operating theatre near the ambulances?”

Ah we should have expected her reaction to be that of agreement. She struggled to comprehend what we said. “Please noona, it’s important.”

 

Glancing at Daehyun her eyes narrowed. “I know where you are from. I read your details the moment you were moved into here. You’re not well enough to leave!”

“Please noona,” Daehyun began, doing his best to plead with his voice and eyes. “Youngjae nearly died… We will too if we go back.” This statement troubled her for her face fell as she considered what he said. “Noona, your job is to save lives… Not take them.”

She would give in soon. We both could see it. Looking away from us she held her clipboard close to her heart, breathing slowly in and out. Finally after a minute of silence she spoke. “You won’t tell anyone if I help you?”

“Of course not; our lips are sealed.”

Heaving a sigh I knew that we were very close to her giving in. She made a small nod with her head. “Alright, I’ll push you to the entrance but then he has to take you the rest of the way. The ambulances are only parked just a door behind next to the Operating Theatre.”

The two of us both bowed to her. I couldn’t go all the way but Daehyun hyung made up for it. “Thank you we promise we won’t breathe a word.”

She gestured for Daehyun hyung to move aside so she could remove my drip. After this she laid me back in the bed flat and began to push me out. Daehyun hyung opened the door for her and followed behind us, being careful to hide behind her though height wise she was a little shorter.

We went to the lift and she pressed the arrow pointing down. All of us entered. Still holding onto my bed frame with one hand she pressed the number 1. The doors slid closed. Glancing at Daehyun we exchanged smiles. After checking the nurse wasn’t looking took my hand in his, squeezing it tight.


We were going home. We were going to make it home.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Well this story is almost over. Still have a few chapters left to go to see if they manage to successfully escape.  I’ll have the next chapter for this double update before the day’s over.