The Kuro-yurei

1000 Years


There were reasons why Messengers were units of five. During the collection of a Whisper, one entered the memory and carried out the soul's last words. The other members were present to defend the Whisper. Whispers are of powerful magic; and they drew in supernatural beings that craved for it. The Kuro-yurei was the more base and common of these.

Kuro-yurei – the black ghosts. They were wispy creatures with long claws extended in lieu of hands. Their human faces were distorted with a focused hunger for the Whisper. They were empty because they were once souls, left behind on the mortal world. The Kuro-yurei was what happened to the souls with Whispers that Failed and had not passed over with the aid of a death god.

The Kuro-yurei were both driven and dangerous.

Yet Messengers were not entirely helpless or defenceless. They, too, were beings of the supernatural world and have powers of their own.

Onew called out for s to prepare, taking out his own pistols from his coat. He gave a quick glance over at Key’s doubled-over body and nodded for Jonghyun to look after him. Another glance told him that Minho was ready for the fight. Minho had taken out an inconspicuous black and white ball from his pocket, twisted it open and had it form into a bo staff. He held it loosely in his hands, ready to strike.

Onew remembered their extra guest and shouted out to Taemin to protect Yuki, who was shaking with cold fear of the Kuro-yurei. Taemin grabbed his charge and pushed him into a corner. He then drew in a deep breath to focus his adrenaline-frenzied energies and transformed his umbrella into the thin sword he preferred as his weapon.

The Kuro-yurei fell upon them in waves and the two sides fought. The wraiths fought with the misguided notion that there was a Whisper to be had. Fragments of the Failed Whisper were still dissipating in the air. Some of the Kuro-yurei were jumping into the air, their tongues lapping about and taking in sips of the residual energies. Onew and the others fought to destroy them all so they could move on. The Kuro-yurei could still give chase and their blades could inflict serious damage.

Key gathered himself off the ground as Jonghyun methodically shot at the approaching Kuro-yurei. He focused his thoughts and with great effort he formed out slim throwing daggers from a sheath in his boots. He threw and landed one in to the head of a Kuro-yurei, earning a low whistle of appreciation from Jonghyun. Key shakily stood up with another dagger poised to be thrown. He spotted Taemin move with great agility with his sword across the front line of the Kuro-yurei, effortlessly striking them down. One of the Kuro-yurei dodged and moved to attack Yuki behind Taemin's back. Key made sure it never touched a hair on Yuki or Taemin. But then a stabbing pain flashed in his belly and he dropped to his knees with a cry of pain.

Jonghyun flicked a startled look behind him, afraid for the worst. Key shook his head and pointed him back towards the fight. He then took a deep breath and formed another dagger. The wraiths were relentlessly getting closer and soon enough Jonghyun and Key were surrounded. They fought and the Kuro-yurei kept coming. Ever so slowly the Messengers were winning and the swarm of wraiths were thinning.

It was at the worst possible moment when another stabbing pain lashed through Key, dissipating his dagger into harmless energy. A Kuro-yurei loomed above him and then speared its claw into his belly. Key screamed with the extra agony and the wraith was shot point blank by Jonghyun.

"Key!" Jonghyun stood over his fallen comrade, still keeping their enemy away from them with his guns. They were almost near the end of the fight, there were almost no more Kuro-yurei left. "Onew!" Jonghyun shouted out to his leader, alerting him to Key's situation.

Onew sent a bullet in between the eyes of one of the wraiths and made his way towards them. "Onew!" Minho shouted out a warning, but one too late. He dodged the frenzied Kuro-yurei, only to have it slice open the back of his leg. Onew fell heavily to the ground and almost lost the form of his pistols with the break of his concentration. In a frustrated retaliation, he emptied his guns into the offending wraith.

"Sorry Jonghyun!" he shouted out to the other member, "You will just have to work a little bit harder!"

"How the hell can you make a joke right now?!" was his startled reply. Onew chuckled under his breath, and in the haze of his pain, reformed his pistols.

Time quickened and soon all the Kuro-yurei were cleared. Minho ran towards Onew and inspected the latter's injury. Onew breathed painfully through his nose. It hurt to move his leg. Jonghyun was down on his knees and checking Key's vitals. Key was still present, but only barely. Jonghyun's pale face told everyone that they needed to move, and fast.

"Go; get to a hospital," ordered Onew. Jonghyun immediately lifted Key into his arms and ran towards the nearest hospital in town. Minho shouldered Onew up onto his other leg, with Taemin on the other side. And with Yuki, they followed the panicked Jonghyun.