For love

1000 Years

 

Key’s gloved hand carefully turned the pages of the photo album. On each page was a single photo. Yet that single snapshot held so much emotion and memory that it was enough for him. He had flashes of triumphs, defeat, excitement and exhaustion. He paused on a photo that spoke of commitment. The wedding was a simple affair: a small church with aisles of white ribbon. The bride’s black hair was plaited with white blossoms and ribbons. The groom was dressed in white and stood tall with a possessive love.

Key’s hand clenched with intense ache and he shut the photo album close. He stared out onto Heavens Road and its now orange fields and beige lakes. The supernatural world was forever changing on the whims of the gods. It was on the whim of a single god that had taken pity on Key and gave him the photo album. The magical book captured his son’s memories so that he could share them too. But it was a joke on Key because he could not be there with him as his son grew up. He had sacrificed his mortality to save his son’s life. Key agreed to a god’s bargain to become a Messenger so that his son would not pass on.

Minho was looking on from his seat behind Key. “Which one was it?” he asked their newest member. They all knew the strange power of the photo album. It was the only device that could keep memories from decaying.

“Wedding,” Was all Key muttered in reply.

“Ah,” Minho nodded in understanding. Weddings were potent events. A lot of powerful Whispers were involved in the memories of weddings and he had seen a few of them during his time. Minho petted Key’s head, ignoring the latter’s disgust at being treated like a child. He urged him to go to sleep. It had been a long ride and they were approaching their next destination.

Papa was napping next to Onew. He was dreaming, or rather, he was reliving a series of connected memories...

“Yuki!” His name was being shouted from across the school yard. Panicked students in worn uniforms were pushing into the assembly hall. Yuki needed to reach the bomb shelter. He gave a quick glance at the metal flying machines and dashed across the gravelled ground. He felt arms pull him in. Buzzing war planes were flying low in the hazy grey sky. They were pregnant with destruction.

The shelter was a dark room beneath the hall. A single light bulb hung from a chain in the centre of the room. This was a blessing because no one wanted to see their fear reflected from another’s terrified eyes. Yuki found himself seated next to Saki. They were good friends: from the same neighbourhood, always in the same classes. She was the smartest girl in the school and had the kindest heart. He was a bumbling fool who only cared about sports and games. He loved her but felt unworthy. To Yuki, Saki deserved better.

The hatch to their shelter was flung open and alien faces peered through. They were commanded to come out and no one refused at the sight of the guns. They were lined up against the wall. Saki trembled with fear. A gun was pointed at her and she whimpered. They were going to die. But in the next heartbeat, Yuki moved to stand in between her and death. For Yuki, he loved her and she deserved better.

Sirens filled the air, now empty of the heavy war planes. Their army was winning back the town. The alien invaders withdrew their weapons and fled. They were saved.

Years later, the war was ending and life was short. Yuki dropped to his knees with a simple ring in his outstretched hand. Saki did not hesitate. She knew her answer from long ago. She said yes.

The war had left them with few resources but that did not matter. Their wedding was a simple affair, held in the small church that had survived with them. Saki decorated it with white to cleanse away its pain. This was their new start in life, together. She wore white, in her hair and on her wrists. He wore white because they were a matching pair. In their hearts they knew. They loved each other. And they would die for one another.

 

 

Papa was napping next to Onew. He was dreaming, or rather, he was reliving a series of connected memories. A sudden bump on the road jolted him awake and his eyes peered around the bus, wide with fear that he lost his wife. Taemin laughed and Minho leaned over to swat his head for bad manners. Key only spared Papa a glance with hooded eyes.