Going against the gods

1000 Years


Key painfully shifted in his seat at the bus stop, the heavy photo album on his lap. He opened the leather cover and in a gasp of air. The pages still held the single photo of a scene from Yuki’s memories, but whereas before the people were blurred and faceless, they were now in full clarity. He saw Yuki’s impish smiles as a teenager; the possessive love as he stood in front of the white church, next to his wife and dressed in white; and the proud look on his face as he held the newborn Hiro in his arms. He saw the confusion and devastation as he stood next to Saki as the doctor diagnosed their sick son. Key choked back a sob and Yuki’s face, as if he could wipe away the frowns across his forehead and the tears he saw held back in his son’s eyes.

He rested a gloved hand on the pages and frowned; the photos were no longer urging him inside the memory. Their magic was fading and Key did not want to think on its meaning.

 

After the departure of the goddesses, Key had pushed Minho aside and went to give them chase. He stumbled through the hospital hallways, shouting out curses against Time for being such a child. Both Minho and Jonghyun grabbed onto him and were trying to drag him back into his bed, when GD poked his head around a corner. Key became frenzied and broke free from their hold on him and ran after the other Messenger. But the other leader was wily and easily evaded the injured Key.

Soon enough, Key became exhausted and slid down onto a bench. He buried his face in his hands when he felt an arm lie across his shoulders. Key looked up and into GD’s sympathetic smile. Wordlessly, the other tipped his head towards the open door opposite of them; and gave the young Messenger a companionable pat on his back before leaving him alone. Key saw that GD had led him into the Children’s Ward.

The others found him staring wordlessly into the room. They were in Yuki's son's room. A riot of emotions crossed his face as he saw for himself the same teddy bear he had made with his own hands. He let out a snarl of rage at the scene in front of him. Yuki's wife was sleeping next to the bed, worn from the strain of worry. The people she loved were slipping from her grasp. Her son, and his grandson, was awake and staring at the ceiling with the bear clutched in his arms. It was too familiar to Key; it was so unfair.

 

Onew pulled Key away from the room and together they left to catch the bus to travel down Heavens Road. Their pocket watches had stopped moving; they were no longer called to collect Whispers. Onew found it perplexing but there were bigger issues at hand, and so he ignored the vagrancies of Time. They were free of their obligations to the gods and Onew meant to take full advantage of it. His group was threatened and nothing would stop him to protect them.

They were due for a visit to the Gods Pavilion. Someone had allowed Time to grant Key's wish and turn him into a Messenger; so there must be someone who would take it poorly with Fate and Time’s interference. Onew pulled his top hat down uncomfortably over his forehead and hid himself in deep thought. Fate and Time were old beings, powerful because of the significance of their names. Onew bit his lower lip and tapped his walking stick with an increased anxiety. There was one other god they could approach, one much older and encompassing. One who could help them because it was within his domain they were trying to manipulate.

Death. Onew had muttered his name under his breath. Key stirred in his seat, his eyes haunted and unrecognisable with desperation. Jonghyun stopped playing with his pocket watch and gave their leader a questioning look. Minho only nodded his agreement. It would be Death in the end.

But Death was an elusive recluse; not even his own supernatural servants saw him. It was rumoured that he had no favourites like the other gods were want to have. His chambers were also hard to find.

But they would search for him at the Gods Pavilion. And they would bargain with him.

The bus arrived and they waited for the passengers to disembark before climbing up the stairs. Key heard the passing talk of increased Failed Whispers in the area and he paled at its meaning. Taemin and Yuki have begun folding the cranes. He wondered how many they have collected and how much time he had left to save his son.

Key settled into a seat next to Jonghyun and felt the diminishing powers of his photo album. He did not need to open it to know that the photos were slowly fading, like the memories they were. Jonghyun saw the grim look of determination beneath the blonde fringe of his companion. They were going against the gods - there was no room left for doubts. He shifted back into his seat and laid his head onto Key’s shoulder. Key did not push him away. He accepted Jonghyun’s love and was sorry that it would not last.

Key had bargained with the gods before and he knew the magnitude they liked to expect. They were going against the gods to demand that Yuki would succeed in saving his son and at the same time, save him from paying the price for making the 1000 cranes. Key had given up his life for his son. And he would do it again. And again. And again.