Fathers’ reunions

1000 Years

 


Minho and Key waited by the gate. Key was pacing about, anxious to find his son. Minho silently watched him, ready to react if the other decided to bail and dash off by himself.

Jonghyun was saying his goodbyes at Death’s door. It was always a long time in between his visits. Death took him into a hug and patted the back of his head. “You take care of yourself pup,” he whispered into his ear. “Fate will not stop what she has set her mind onto. Although this drama has nothing to do with you, I know your heart. I do not want to meet you on the other side and have to say our permanent goodbyes.” Jonghyun nodded his understanding. He joined the others and led them to the portal where they met up with Onew.

 

Yuki looked better after he drank the vial Taemin had given him. However, he did not stop rubbing his arm, the ‘808’ branded him as a desperate offender. Taemin had kept to himself the old crone’s titbit. He wanted to dismiss it as another rumour, but past remarks made by Key kept flashing in his mind. Key would frequently complain about Time’s preference to run backwards; about being unable to count 1000 years if she did not stop fooling around.

They were still within the Gods Pavilion, waiting for the next bus to take them to their next Whisper; to their next crime. The bus stop was near the markets and Yuki was absorbed in memorising every bizarre sight. ‘To tell Hiro what this adventure was like,’ Yuki had told him. Taemin could not stomach the hopeful look in his eyes as he talked about all the things he and his son would do when he got back. Taemin did not have the heart to break the hope that was holding the man together; because he could tell that Yuki was falling apart too.

“Taemin!” He heard the shout and turned towards the bustle of the markets. Minho was running up to them, waving his arm in the air to get their attention. Jonghyun and Key were also with him; and Onew was holding a purple crystal in his hand. They had used a tracking device to find them. Taemin blanched, grabbed Yuki’s hand, and ran away.

“Taemin, wait!” Onew called out but Taemin only ran faster, “Taemin!”

Taemin dragged Yuki through the markets, overturning tables and deliberately cutting through stalls. He was putting as many obstacles he could between him and Onew. Yuki felt his panic and followed without judgement. Occasionally he would topple crates with magical beasts in them onto the road too.

They were almost at the other side of the markets when Yuki sensed Taemin’s absence. He stopped running and looked back. Onew had caught him in his arms and was trying to keep a hold of the struggling and cursing boy. Onew’s walking stick was nowhere to be seen and he was leaning heavily onto his uninjured leg. Sheen of sweat lined his forehead. However, the pain that was in his eyes looked to have nothing to do with his leg.

“Taemin, calm down!” Onew pleaded with him but Taemin only became more frenzied and he stabbed his umbrella into his foot. Onew cried out in pain but refused to let him go. Taemin continued to yell out obscenities. Onew kept his hold.

Yuki stood to the side, helpless to interfere. There was a sphere about the two – the electric air between them was too private, too raw. Minho joined him with Onew’s walking stick. Key stood on the other side of Yuki and took his hand into his own. Yuki raised an eyebrow and Key shrugged and looked away.

“Taemin, please!” Onew tried to reason with the hysterical boy. He was still struggling until he suddenly became limp in Onew’s arms. Hot tears fell from his eyes and down his thin face. Wracking sobs shuddered through his body as he slid to the ground. Onew followed him, gently guiding his descent. He took off his glove and wiped away the tears. “Idiot,” he whispered, “Why did you run away?”

Taemin shook his head. “I am sorry,” he mumbled.

Onew chuckled and knocked off Taemin’s top hat to ruffle his hair. But when Taemin continued to mumble apologies, Onew became concerned. “Taemin?” he asked him, causing the other to begin another litany. ‘You’re going to hate me. I’ve been bad. I don’t deserve anything.’

Onew panicked at his words and shot a desperate look towards Key. Key moved from Yuki’s side and crouched down in front of Taemin. He gently took off his and Taemin’s gloves and held his hands. He squeezed warmth back into Taemin’s fingers and told him that he knew how he felt, what he saw. That he is a very brave boy. That he was not a monster; Taemin had committed no sin.

And he was no longer on his own. That everyone was here with him, their angel son.

 

 

Key and Yuki shared an awkward silence. The others had left them alone in the common area. They had returned to the hotel to give Taemin some rest. Onew was with him, guarding his sleep. Jonghyun and Minho left for the markets to buy some medicine for Key and Yuki.

Much to Yuki’s surprise, Key asked after his son. He told him who Hiro was before he was ill; how he reacted badly to his treatments; and what he will be able to achieve after he is cured with the 1000 cranes wish. Yuki fell silent as he revisited that moment in the hospital, when he was invisible to Saki and they heard the doctors give up on their son.

“Yu?” Key’s voice broke through his memory. Yuki frowned. It was a familiar old game he used to play with his own father. “Yu?” Key repeated.

“Key...?” he hesitantly replied.

Key gave him a strained smile. They used to play a game of Marco Polo with Yuki’s name. The answer the older Yuki had given was not quite the same as before. But then he had not told him of their relationship.

Key took in a deep breath. “I am sorry,” he began, “There is something I have to tell you...” Yuki was baffled by Key’s story and he grew sceptical as its telling continued. Key recounted his discovery of GD and the other Messengers; they were at the church to collect a soul’s memory. It was when GD was escorting him to the Gods Pavilion when they heard about the method to make 1000 cranes for a single wish. They knew it was the way to save his son and GD agreed to help. They succeeded and Key’s wish was granted.

Key looked up into Yuki’s eyes and asked him for forgiveness. He had not wanted to stay in the supernatural world; but the magic of the folded cranes had shaped him into a magically-charged vessel and Time used it to change him into a Messenger. He also had a debt of 1000 years to pay off.

Key made to take his son’s arm and have a look at the number when the latter pulled away. It pained Key to see him not recognise him and to distrust him like this. “Yu, please believe me. I am here to help you too,” Key told him. “Death said that if your last crane was from a Messenger – from me – then you can have three wishes. Wish for Hiro’s long health; wish to be free from your 1000 year debt; and wish to return to the mortal world to your wife and son.”

But Yuki dismissed his news and stood up to escape from him. Out of habit, Key asked him if he wanted a bedtime story. Yuki stopped with disgust at being treated like a fool. “Bedtime stories? Why not tell me how this nightmare ends?” he sneered at Key.

Key had also risen and tipped the lamp light up onto the wall. Yuki became rooted to his spot as memories of countless nights with dancing shadows came flooding back into his mind. Then he remembered his father’s face – Key’s face. His heart plummeted to the ground when the realisation hit him with full force – his father was stuck in a magical world and it was his fault.

With his back to his son, Key made shadows run across the bare landscape with his hands. He told a story of how a sick boy grew into a strong man with a loving family of his own; of a father’s quest to save his son in a magical world; of how the father succeeded against all odds with the help of five friends; and of his goodbye to the five men in black coats and top hats. Yuki came up to his side and placed a hand on his arm, stopping the story. “Papa,” he said through the tears held at the back of his throat, “Please stop. Not this ending.”