Chapter Two: I Want to be the Sky

Want To Bet?

I could not believe my ears.

"What do you mean dad? We can't just leave!" I was filled with anger. "What about school? What about my friends? What about Mindy? I can't leave her dad! She's my best friend!"

My dad put his hands on mine. I jerked it away.

"I'm so incredibly sorry Jinni! I'm sorry for everything- especially about parting with Mindy! I know how much she means to you but... I got transferred to Korea! I am going to become a manager of one of the markets there! Come on, Jinni. I can't pass up an opportunity like this!"

"How long do I have?" I asked quietly.

"The day after tomorrow... We're leaving that soon." he replied.

My eyes teared up. I was so happy for my dad but I couldn't leave my life here. "Dad... I can't do this. I seriously can't! It's way too soon!"

My dad got up and hugged me. "I'm so sorry Jinni... I'll make it up to you I promise!"

Silently, I walked out of the house and caught up with Mindy. She hadn't walked too far and when I reached her, the tears in my eyes had already overflown.

"Jinni?" she said, wiping my tears gently with her thumb. "What's wrong? Did your dad say something?"

"Mindy! I can't believe this! I- I am moving! All the way to Korea!" I said, sobbing.

Jinni smiled sweetly at me. "You should be happy for your dad and just go with him."

"But Mindy! You don't understand! If I go... I won't ever see you again!" I protested.

"Then let me ask you this. Do you love your dad?" she said.

God, why did she have to be so reasonable right now? I nodded truthfully.

"Then you know what you must do. It's okay. We can still connect and chat online or with our phones." she reassured me.

I dried my tears and tried to smile back at her. I appreciated what she was trying to do. "I... I'm sorry."

Mindy patted my back. "You know I said I wanted to be a butterfly today? Well, now I want to be the sky. The sky is universal. If I were the sky, I could see you every single day."

I managed to laugh at her comment. "Mindy?"

She turned to look at me.

"You will always be my best friend." I finished and gave her a giant hug.

Mindy whispered in my ear. "It'll all be alright."

I felt better hearing Mindy's words but I still had a hard time accepting the fact that I was leaving in two days.

Oh how I wanted time to freeze.