INTERLUDE

No Body Knows

A brief interlude to the story for an off-screen scene.. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“The Choi boy and his friends were back.” The blonde nurse at the hospital spoke to an elderly man sitting in the guest chair of Jinki’s room. “They brought the new red haired boy with them.” 

The elderly, white haired man, made a deeply displeased sound. “Do you think they suspect anything?”

The nurse shook her head. “I don’t believe so, but as per your orders I made sure to leave them alone for the first hour.”

Another displeased sound. “You’ve done right, I should have thought ahead and had spyware set up long ago. Its too late now and we have to act quickly.” He looked towards the still boy on the bed. “You said there was unusual activity on his chart.”

“Yes, it looked like a brain spike occurred sometime shortly after the boys arrived yesterday. His heart rate also spiked briefly, but that’s not always uncommon.” The nurse moved to check Jinki’s vitals, showing the elderly man how Jinki’s heart rate sometimes jumped. “Because we’re concerned about his brain activity, his heart rate isn’t as critical.”

“The drugs were working up until yesterday?” The elderly man pulled out a high-tech cell phone and touched the screen. 

“Yes.”

“And none of the doctors or your fellow nurses have any idea?”

“As I’ve said before Sir, I am the main nurse in charge of Jinki’s care and because he’s now a long term case, his doctor involvement is almost null and void.”

The phone went back in the man’s jacket pocket. “This must end.” He stood up, the legs of the chair scraping the tile floor. It made the nurse cringe but the sound did nothing to the unconscious boy in the hospital bed. 

“What should I do now?” The nurse asked, dreading the answer. She regretted getting involved in these horrible circumstances but her fears that her own son would end up like the boy in the bed kept her going. 

“My nephew will be taken off life support tomorrow. I want the evidence that there is still brain activity gone. The boy needs to die.” The elderly man moved with more energy than men half his age. He smiled a sinister smile at his nephew. “You shouldn’t have kept looking, dear boy. See what your perseverance as gotten you?” He leaned over and kissed Jinki’s forehead. He chuckled a dark sound, “your father will regret crossing me.” 

Standing up and walking towards the door, Jinki’s great uncle turned his cold eyes away, the notion of getting back at his father making him smile an evil smile. “You’re going to die and your brother is going to follow.”

The nurse shuddered at the cold laughter that echoed in the sterile hospital room before it abruptly ended and the man opened the door to the room. The nurse watched as he hunched his back and grabbed the cane propped up against the door-jam. He hobbled out, letting a tear trickle down his withered cheek. 

Feeling nauseous, Jinki’s nurse waited until the old man was gone before calling in the doctor in charge of Jinki’s care. It was time to tell the bribed doctor that the one paying them off was now ready to finish off his nephew. 

It was almost over for her, her son would be safe. She had sold her soul to the devil to keep her family safe and she prayed that she would never be forced to make the same decision over again. 

Gently she ran her fingers through Jinki’s hair. So young, such a life left ahead of him, but cut short because of an old man’s greed. The heart monitor jumped again and an involuntary tear trickled out from behind Jinki’s taped closed eyes.

 

 

-------

So Jinki's uncle was practically demanding some early screen time and wouldn't shut up until I let him have his own way. I hope you enjoyed this extra little look!

As always thank you all for reading! Comments are love and always make me smile. 

Love to you all

Kat