Chapter Five: Just Right

No Body Knows

A large yellow envelope was passed back to him. Opening it he was surprised to find how much information was actually inside. 

A school pamphlet, guide and map told him that he was going to the prestigious Seoul Academy. He was expected to keep a grade average of no less than 85% in all his classes since he was going to be placed there as a scholarship case. Tay figured that it was to make it sound better than a social worker case. 

Meals would be provided, which was good because he was apparently not allowed to get a part time job during school months. He would be living in a dorm all year round until he graduated, including off school time when the staff would be running reduced. 

Uniforms would be provided; one for gym, one for special occasions or visits, five for everyday wear. Most students only received one free uniform and had to purchase any additional ones but with his case, he was allowed extra. He would have to wear his own clothing on weekends as laundry service picked up Saturday mornings and returned Sunday afternoons. 

He was also provided all his books and supplies, including a laptop that would be necessary to complete assignments. It was his responsibility to care for his things, no replacements would be given for his own carelessness. 

A list of his classes would be given to him the morning he started and would be based on his transcripts. 

And lastly, he was going to have a roommate, someone who was paying to attend that school. Someone that he wasn’t allowed to distract from their own studies. 

It sounded like a dream compared to what he was use to. Settling back into his seat, Tay smiled as he pulled out the last piece of paper. Breathing deep, he began to read to the words spelling out the new information about him.

“Lee Taemin.”

The large gray stone building that they pulled up to was formidable and powerful looking. It made Taemin wonder how long the school had been standing there and how many generations had been through its doors. It was nothing like the red brick schools of the US, most of the ones he attended not having been there more than 50 or so years. 

The wrought iron fencing was meant to make the place look more imposing considering the gates looked as though they hadn’t been closed in decades. Sharp spokes lined the top and it made Taemin think of a prison more than a school. 

The car pulled to a stop outside a set of large stone steps and Taemin gathered up his papers and shoved them into his bag. He opened the door and slid out of the car just as a well dressed middle aged man came out of the heavy looking wood doors. 

He greeted Taemin’s keeper with a small bow and a handshake and a flurry of fast paced Korean. Taemin blinked, trying to keep up and managing rather well for someone who’s greatest amount of Korean listening was short attempts on Netflix when he had the chance. 

The two men then turned towards Taemin, his keeper nodding and without a word, got back in the car and Taemin watched it drive away. It was shocking to say the least and Taemin couldn’t believe that he was just left like garbage. He let out a shocked sound and stared out the gates at the tail lights of the car. 

“Welcome to my school.” The Headmaster said in English, drawing Taemin’s attention back to him. The teen looked towards him and gave a shaky smile. 

“Hello.” He greeted in shaky Korean. 

“You speak Korean?” He asked again, waiting for Taemin to reply. 

Taemin nodded. “I am more comfortable listening, but I will work hard at speaking.” He swallowed hard, hoping that that was the right answer. 

“You will have lots of practice now.” He spoke slowly and steadily so that Taemin could follow. “You’ll be expected to speak Korean during all classes, except English of course.” He placed a hand on Taemin’s shoulder and gestured towards the door. “Let’s go inside.” 

Taemin nodded and allowed himself to be shuffled in the school. 

The atrium of the building looked more like the entrance to a hotel than a school. The office was set off to the right and that was were they headed first. Taemin smiled and bowed to the secretary who smiled back. She handed the Headmaster some papers, which he read through quickly and then passed to Taemin as he led him back out of the office. 

“Here is your class schedule, your records indicate that you have been moved ahead two years however, we want to make sure that you are going to be able to handle it with the included language change so we will start you down where you should be and will reassess in a few weeks.” 

Taemin nodded as he read over his schedule. It took a moment for him to adjust to the new writing, in his mind he translated the characters to romanized letters. He knew that it wasn’t the best way but it made it easier in the beginning for his mind to switch. 

“Do you have any questions?” 

Taemin shook his head, “I don’t think so.” He answered honestly. So far everything was fairly similar to all his other moves. He followed as they walked down the halls. 

The hallways were bright and open, a deep contrast to the exterior of the building. The floors were hardwood not the linoleum he was use to and the doors to the classrooms that branched off weren’t made of steel and painted a murky yellow. 

As they walked, the Headmaster pointed out where the different wings of the school led and told him how the school connected together. Taemin nodded from time to time, gaping around in awe. When they finally reached the dorms, Taemin found out that they could be accessed from both the school and the yard. 

He gave an awkward bow as he took the dorm key and passcodes from his new Headmaster. It was going to take some getting use to but he always liked the gesture. It made him feel more important to bow. 

Taemin punched in the lock code and pushed open the door. Everything was oddly silent for a boy’s dorm but he guessed that most of the students hadn’t arrived back from their break yet. They walked down the carpeted hall and stopped outside a room with a blue door. There were no numbers, just names plates to the right of the door. 

The name Choi Minho was written on the second marker. “Your roommate should be returning shortly. He is the second son from the Choi Corporations and you are to make sure that you do not disrupt his learning. I hope I don’t have to remind you that you are not here as a paying member of our student community and any infractions on your part will not be taken lightly.” He patted Taemin on the shoulder and Taemin knew that it was a warning. 

“I will study hard and ensure that I am not a bother to any other student.” It was a variant of what he was always told to say to his new foster families. They generally didn’t believe him and by the doubtful look on the Headmaster’s face, he didn’t believe Taemin either. 

“I’ll leave you to get settled.” He waited until Taemin put his key in the lock and opened the door before he turned and walked away. 

Taemin’s heart raced, he had been expecting a little more than that but he figured that it was a warmer greeting than he was use to and would just accept it. Knees shaking, Taemin stepped across the threshold and into his new home. 

The room was painted white and opened to a small living area. Small couches, beanbag chairs, coffee table and television. 

It was clean, like the housekeeping staff had just left. His information package told him that housekeeping only came during the holidays to make sure everything was as it should be. Otherwise they were to keep their own rooms clean and tidy.

Off to the right was the kitchen. It was nothing special. Fridge, small stove, microwave and a small table and chairs that could seat four people. 

It was still better than most of the houses he had lived in back in the US. 

Straight in from the living area was the bedroom, there was no break in the room except that the living area was carpeted with grey carpet and the bedroom with blue. Carrying his beat up bag in to the bedroom he saw that half the room was covered by posters of female celebrities and various sports teams. A blue comforter and sheet set covered the bed on that side. Green was the colour on the other with a large clothing bag draped over the end of the bed. 

The furniture was all light wood, two desks and two bookshelves, one nightstand per bed. Sitting on one desk was a closed laptop and a set of textbooks, the other held the same but was decorated with pictures, books, cds and a small cactus. 

Dropping his bag on the green bed, Taemin moved to examine what he figured was the shared closet on the blue side of the room. Designer clothing and uniforms took over nearly the entire thing, spaced out like the occupant of the room was use to having it all to himself. 

Taemin closed the door, he would just use the drawers under his bed for his clothing. He sighed and pulled out all of his information again. 

Lee Taemin, born July 18 parents unknown. Born in Seoul, South Korea and sent to the United States at the age of two after his parents were killed. Death certificates unavailable. No living relations able to take custody. 

He was sent to America in the hopes that an American family would adopt him to keep him out of the overcrowded child service system in his own country. After 14 years of attempts, it was deemed impossible to place Taemin, renamed Taylor Kim for American sensibilities, and he has been ordered to return to his country of birth. 

It was a very short introduction and didn’t really give Taemin any information that he hadn’t already known. However it couldn’t stop the small smile from spreading across the teen’s face. He was where he always hoped to be, he had finally come home. 

Maybe now he could find out who he was, find out where he really came from and maybe even find those relatives that couldn’t take him in. He was older now, he didn’t really need anything except someone to call family. 

He set the papers in his nightstand and flopped down onto the bed. “Oh my god.” He moaned as he sank back into the cushy mattress and pillow. He couldn’t believe how comfortable it was. Yawning and feeling the jet lag setting in regardless of his sleep on the plane, Taemin decided to take a short nap. 

Closing his eyes with a smile, Taemin drifted off.