19: Readying the Guard

No Body Knows

The popcorn was still hot when Minho and Taemin finally made their way into the living area for their movie. The small dorm was filled with the buttery scent and Taemin heard Minho's stomach grumble as he took a spot on the couch at one end, watching Minho set up the electronics.

“Comedy, horror or…” Minho paused as he looked at his movie collection. “Well thats it, comedy or horror.”

“We’re watching Notting Hill and that’s all there is to it.” A dvd case landed on the floor next to Minho as Key loudly announced his arrival.

“Sorry rich boy no body hit your buzzer.” Minho said plucking a movie from his shelf. “Have you seen Insidious?” The case was tossed to Taemin.

Picking up the case, Taemin looked over the American movie. “Its supposed to be good.” Minho said, noticing the look on Taemin’s face. “But if you’re not up for horror.”

“I said we’re watching Notting Hill” Key said, sauntering over to where Minho knelt and giving him a kick to the side.

Minho grunted but shifted, knowing that he wouldn’t win.

Taemin set the movie case on the table, “Maybe next time?” the hope for a second time was heavy in his voice.

Jonghyun grinned, sitting himself beside Taemin and throwing an arm around the younger’s thin shoulders. “Key hates horror movies, so next time we’ll have to start it before he gets here and then he’ll have no choice but to watch it.”

Key glared at the oldest, “At least I know I won’t cry at least twice during this movie.”

“I’m sensitive!” Jonghyun shouted, lips turned out in a pout.

“Right.” Minho said, standing up to let Key finish with the dvd. “Get out of my spot.”

“There’s plenty of couch right here.” Jonghyun said patting the space beside him.

“Yeah well I don’t want to end up with your tears on my shoulder, again, so move it.” Minho said with an air of disgust. “Your nose runs and you get all snotty. Go sit in the chair with Key. He likes it when you slobber all over him.”

Sighing dramatically, Jonghyun heaved himself up with what sounded like great effort and moved to throw himself back down in chair. After moving it for better screen viewing, grunting and grumbling about how rudely guests were treated in “this place.”

“You came here all on your own.” Minho informed him, grabbing a handful of popcorn, “You weren’t invited.”

“Neither was Key.” Jonghyun pouted, making grabby hands for the popcorn.

Minho ignored him and pressed the bowl to Taemin. “Eat.”

“Nutritious meal there Oppa.” Sulli’s voice called out as the dorm door slammed shut. “Shouldn’t you at least make an effort to eat healthy?”

“Yeah, aren’t athletes supposed to be super health conscious?” Amber teased, throwing herself to the floor.

Key snorted, settling himself on Jonghyun’s lap as the opening credits started. “And thats why they go for pizza and beer after winning their game.”

Sulli giggled before pushing Minho’s arm. “Move over Oppa, I want to sit there.”

Minho rolled his eyes, but like with Key, he didn’t argue and simply moved to the middle of the couch sitting closer to Taemin.

Everyone settled down after that, content to sit in silence and watch the movie and listen to Key recite his favourite lines along with the actors on the screen.

Belly full of popcorn and surrounded by the comfort of his new friends, Taemin felt his eyes drooping. He was still feeling jet lagged and all the stress of the day had finally caught up to him. Several times he caught his head slipping, chin dropping to his chest, before he jolted awake.

It was Key who caught sight of Minho gently urging the younger to rest his head against his shoulder and Key watched as Taemin drew his legs up under himself and curled into Minho.

The younger’s head rested on Minho’s shoulder and a small smile played across his sleeping face.

Key thought he looked peaceful, he hadn’t noticed how strained the younger boy looked until he saw him sleeping. All the tension drained from his face and he looked so much younger than his 16 years. He was hiding something, that much Key was sure of.

He waited until Taemin’s chest rose and fell in deep sleep before he spoke. “What happened this afternoon?”

Minho had been waiting for Key to ask, surprised that it had taken him that long to ask when he had to be dying of curiosity. He sighed, listening to Taemin’s breathing, contemplating how he should go about telling Taemin’s story.

“I mean, something clearly happened. You missed class and the girls say so did Taemin. You skipping I can see, but him, no. He’s too new, he has too much to lose by skipping so early on. Something had to make him risk it.”

Looking down at the top of Taemin’s head, Minho raised a hand to brush at his hair. A small twitch of his lips barely noticeable except that the four others in the room knew how to read him.

“It was Yunho wasn’t it.” Sulli said quietly. “He did something.”

“Yunho? That dunderhead?” Jonghyun said confused, “Why would he do anything to Taemin?”

“Because he thinks that Taemin is going to take Sulli away from him.” Amber said, rolling onto her back, the movie forgotten.

“But Sulli isn’t his.”

“Sulli isn’t anyone’s thank you very much.” Sulli snapped.

“Oh calm down, I didn’t mean it like that.” Jonghyun grumbled.

“Ladies, that’s enough.” Key said, staring at Minho. “If you can’t say, say that at least.”

Minho nodded still looking at Taemin, more to himself than to the others. “We have to protect Taemin.” His eyes moving to his friends. “Yunho has made him his personal punching bag.” His voice went quiet as the memory of Taemin in that scalding shower came back to him.

He shuddered. In all his life, he’d never had to see another person in such pain. It was something he never wanted to see again.

“Someone needs to be with him at all times. Make it known he’s one of us.” Minho said, still Taemin’s hair and wondering why he wasn’t grossed out knowing that Taemin was starting to drool down his arm.

“What happened?” Key asked, noticing the change in his friend.

“Yunho didn’t like how you did his hair and makeup today, so he washed it off in the toilets.” He paused to let that information sink it.

“You mean he…” Sulli couldn’t finish her sentence, too horrified by what she knew that it meant.

“Yeah. I found his hair tie on the floor and when I came here he was in the shower. Still dressed.” He scoffed in disgust, “I’m surprised he didn’t have second degree burns with how hot the water was. He just wanted to be clean.”

Key’s face showed exactly how horrified he was, just before he tried to jump out of Jonghyun’s lap.

The oldest held him tight, knowing that Key would only make things worse if he went after Yunho then. “Wait, calm down. If you go off now things will only be worse because then Yunho will know we’re looking after Taemin.”

“Listen to Jonghyun, oppa. He actually knows what he’s talking about this time.” Amber said.

“Yeah. Wait hey!” Jonghyun said, catching on to Amber’s veiled insult.

“Fine. I’ll wait. For now.” Key said, relaxing in Jonghyun’s arms. “But next time, I’ll pluck out every hair on his body and leave him tied up in the courtyard for everyone to admire.

“Every hair?” Sulli questioned.

“Every single one.” Key’s smile was angry, something no one in the room wanted directed at them. “I’ll enjoy personally plucking every hair individually from his balls and I’ll laugh as he screams.”

“Remind me to always stay on your good side.” Jonghyun said with a teasing tone that everyone knew barely covered his seriousness, pressing his lips to Key’s neck.

Only the sound of Taemin’s deep breathing could be heard as everyone thought about what had just been revealed.

Cuddled into Minho’s side, Taemin slept on, unaware that his new friends were thinking of ways to keep him safe.

Key and Jonghyun excused themselves, dragging the girls with them as the credits began rolling across the television screen.

The sound of the door clicking shut caused Taemin to stir, his eyes blinking open. “Where?” He whispered, sleep clouding his voice.

Minho hushed him, pulling himself to his feet and helping Taemin to stand. He half carried, half dragged the younger into their room. Taemin yawned and rubbed at his eyes with one hand before Minho deposited him into bed and tugged the covers up around him.

“Good night Taemin.” Minho whispered. “Things will be better in the morning.”

Taemin’s reply was a light snore.

Minho couldn’t keep the smile from his face as he headed to his own bed and turned out the lights.

 

------

Hey look an update! And its only been two weeks!

So the group now knows what Yunho did to Taemin, what do you think will happen next?

Drop me your thoughts and opinions in the comment box!

Loves as always

Kat