21: Spending like the Rich Boys

No Body Knows


While Taemin was running off, the group was left staring after him.

“.” Jonghyun said, as he watched Taemin’s retreating back bumped into someone, him turn to apologize. Reaching across the table to Taemin’s cup he opened the lid. “Water.” He said dumbly as if confirming suspicions.

“He doesn’t have any money.” Jonghyun’s voice was a whisper as he looked at the clear liquid, thinking back to all the stores they’d been in and how he never once saw Taemin at the register. He’d seen the boy looking longingly at items, them, and even once picking out something that was his size, but never did he see him buy.

“Minho, did Taemin give you any bags to hold?” He asked, staring at Minho, who had been obvious to what was happening.

Minho shook his head. “No, why?”

Jonghyun made a frustrated noise before turning to Key and the girls. “We took him shopping.”

“So?” Amber said, not understanding the issue at first. Then it clicked. “Oh my god.”

“Yeah.” Jonghyun said.

The situation settled on the friends as they realized what they had unknowingly done.

“We’re s.” Minho said, staring at the empty spot Taemin should have been sitting in. “Here we are telling him that he’s one of us, he’s our friend and we forget all about him.”

“What do you mean?” Key asked, “He know’s he’s our friend.”

Minho shook his head. “He still feels like he doesn’t really belong and we just went and proved that. How much have you spent so far Key?”

The confusion in Key’s eyes lifted as he mentally calculated his spending. “. He doesn’t have any money and here we are spending like we’ve got no limits.”

“Because we don’t.” Sulli said sadly. “I can’t imagine how he must be feeling. He told us he has to eat in the cafeteria because it was the only thing covered, except when we eat together in the dorm and that’s because its our own food.”

“Should we go find him?” Jonghyun asked, staring in the direction Taemin had headed. His concern was clear in his voice, the boy they had only just met was already like a brother to him. Not having any siblings of his own, Jonghyun was protective of his friends that he deemed family.

“Would you want someone following you if you were crying?” Amber said, glaring at the older boy. “Give him a minute.”

“He was crying?” Key jumped up, hands slamming the table. “I have to go after my baby!”

“Sit down!” Minho snapped, standing up to push Key back down. “He’s not a baby, Amber’s right, would you want someone following after you if you were that upset? I know I wouldn’t.”

“You also have the emotional range of a teaspoon!”

“And you watch too much Harry Potter, but that’s besides the point.” Minho said calmly. Someone had to be rational, even if he didn’t want to be.

“How can you act like this? He’s your roommate, don’t you care about him?” Key snarled.

“Of course I do.” Minho stared Key in the eyes, “But being his roommate, I’ve got to know when he wants to be alone and when he doesn’t. We’ll give him a few minutes, and if he doesn’t come back, then we’ll go. Its not like we’re deserting him, its just giving him some space.”

“But what if he ends up like Jinki?” Key said softly, causing everyone to go quiet as they thought about their friend.

“He won’t.”

“But how do you know!?” Key’s voice was quickly becoming hysterical. “We didn’t think anything would happen to Jinki. We thought he was safe, silly for his search, but safe.”

“We weren’t with him. He was alone.” Minho said, emotion causing his calm voice to shake.

“But Taemin is alone, right now, he’s alone and we did that and anything can happen in a public bathroom.” Key stood up again and only Jonghyun’s hand on his wrist stopped him from going anywhere.

“Key, its okay. Taemin’s okay.” He tried to hush the younger boy.

“How do you know!” Key said, trying to tug away but not being able to break Jonghyun’s grip.

Without answering the oldest just pointed.

Taemin was making his way back through the crowd. His shirt was damp and his hair was slicked oddly back, but he was on his way back.

“Oh thank god.” Key tugged out of Jonghyun’s loosed grip and rushed to meet the youngest as he approached the table. “I was so worried.”

“I’m sorry Key-umma.” The boy said in a whisper, knowing that the use of the nickname would make the older feel better. “I just…”

“You don’t need to be sorry. Its more our fault than yours.” Sulli said, looking ashamed. “Can we  just forget it?”

Nodding, Taemin sat down in the empty space and picked up his cup of water. Taking a sip he tried not to stare longingly at the food on the table in front of him. His rumbling stomach, however, ruined his chance of pretending he wasn't hungry.

“Oppa?” Sulli tapped Taemin’s arm. “Do you want some of my fries?”

“Its okay, I’m really not hungry.” Taemin said, determined that he wasn’t going to take advantage of his friends. Again his stomach chose to rumble loudly.

“Yeah, its alright. Minho is going to go get Taemin a burger of his own. Right Minho?” Key smiled. A thump followed by Minho groaning, signaled that Key had kicked the younger under the table.

“No its okay.” Taemin waved his hands and shook his head. “Really…”

But Minho was already standing.

“Your burger will get cold though.” Taemin said, looking towards Minho’s food. "At least eat your food first." He hoped that the older boys would forget about him if they ignored it long enough.

“Its okay, he can get another one. Sulli and I will split this while he waits.” Amber grinned pulling the burger towards herself. Sulli giggled as her friend cut off a piece of the burger and held out the fork for her to take a bite.

Minho rolled his eyes. “I knew I should have just got you two one the first time. I’ll be back.” His chair scraped the ground as he pushed it back to give him room to move. There was something about Taemin that made him ignore the bossiness of his friends that he would typically get annoyed about.

“I’ll come with you.” Taemin said, shooting up from his seat. “So you don’t have to stand in line alone.” And maybe convince Minho that he really could wait until they returned to school.

Minho smiled and ignored the look Key was sending his way.

As they walked off, Key turned to Jonghyun and spoke very seriously. “How are we going to make this up to him?”

"Who Minho?" Jonghyun asked, half paying attention to his surroundings as he chewed a mouthful of pizza. "He likes Taemin, he'll get over it."

"Not Minho you idiot." Key slapped Jonghyun upside the head causing the older to whine about abuse. "Taemin."

“Do you think he will let us make it up to him? He still thinks he’s at fault.” Sulli said around a mouthful of burger.

“You are so not ladylike.” Key’s nose wrinkled with disgust.

“And that’s why we have you, Bummie.” Jonghyun wrapped his arm around Key’s shoulders and tugged the thinner man towards him to kiss his head.

“Eurgh, and that’s why people think we’re gay.” Key said, smile on his lips.

“But you are.” Amber said.

“But we don’t need to advertise it.” Key rolled his eyes. “That would make our parents happy, and the last thing we want is them knowing that we’re okay with the arranged marriage thing. Duh.”

Amber snorted. “Of course. You crazy person you.”

“Taemin needs a cell phone.” Sulli spoke up suddenly causing the others at the table to look at her. “I say we go shopping for one after lunch. I’m sure he’ll argue, but he really needs one.”

“Sulli’s right.” Jonghyun nodded, “Especially if Yunho wants to try something again.”

A possessive look flared in Key’s eyes at the mention of Yunho.

“And one of us will have to have the bill come to us.” Amber said as a thought dawned in her mind. “It will be pointless if we get him one and he can’t pay the bill.”

“Right.” Jonghyun nodded, “Right. We’ll have Minho put him on his plan. They’re roommates after all.”

“You don’t want want it on your account because you always forget to pay your own phone.” Key snorted. “I could only imagine if you had two accounts to worry about.”

“I don’t always forget.” Jonghyun pouted.

“The only time you don’t forget it when I pay it for you.” Key said, rolling his eyes.

“Guys, argue later. How else can we make it up to Taemin? I mean we dragged him from store to store while we bought and tried things on and he never said anything, never complained.” Sulli said halfway through the burger, eyes steady on the figures of Minho and Taemin as they made their way back. Minho with a tray in his hand.

Despite Taemin's protests and without his input on what he wanted, Minho had simply ignored Taemin's complaints and ordered two of his meal.

“I saw him looking at a few things.” Jonghyun added, trying to be helpful. “How about when you go to buy the phone, I’ll slip back into a few stores and pick some things.”

“Are you sure you know what he wanted. This isn’t a Jonghyun picks more for himself thing right?” Key wanted to make sure his friend was being truthful. Not that he didn’t believe him, but Key was distrustful of everyone when it came to someone he deemed his baby.

“Yes Key, and if in doubt, I’ll get something I think you would like because more than likely you’d want to dress him like you anyways.” He took a large bite of pizza as Taemin and Minho finally reached the table.

“What are we talking about?” Minho asked. The tray was set on the table, several fries finding their way off and onto the floor while Minho dealt out his and Taemin’s food. “Coke.” He said handing Taemin a new drink. “And we’re sharing fries.” He set the container between them. “What are we talking about?” He asked again.

“Taemin needs a phone.” Amber said, watching the happy look on Taemin’s face as he tore into his burger. Unlike the girls and Minho, he picked up the burger with both hands and bit into it.

“What?” He asked, mouth full of meat and bun.

“Right.” Key said, “American. Forgot.”

Taemin blushed, slightly, but his hunger overruled and he continued to eat his burger what he deemed the proper way. Really, who ate burgers with a fork and knife anyway.

Minho ruffled Taemin’s hair and set down his utensils, opting to eat the same way as his newest friend. It was messier, but it made Taemin laugh as sauce dripped down Minho’s chin. Wiping it away with a napkin, Minho turned to smile at Taemin, noticing his own sauce covered face.

Without taking notice of what he was doing, Minho reached out and wiped the smudge from Taemin’s face. The younger boy’s skin was soft and his hand lingered for longer than was really appropriate.

“Sorry.” Minho apologized as he realized what he had done.

Key and Jonghyun snickered behind their hands.

“Oh shut up and lets finish eating.” Minho grumbled. “Its not that big of a deal.”

“No, not at all.” Jonghyun teased. “Nothing big there at all.”

Minho’s response was a kick to Jonghyun’s knee cap.

Ignoring the display that was beginning, everyone else finished eating until Taemin remembered something. “I don’t need a phone.”

“Yes you do.”

“No I don’t. Really.”

“Yes. You do.” Key’s voice was forceful as he spoke, wiping his hands as he finished with his food. “I say so, so I’m buying. All you have to do is pick. Understand?”

“Key-umma..”

“If you argue with me, you’re still getting a phone but I’m not letting you pick one.”

“You might as well accept it.” Sulli smiled, “Because Key will get his own way no matter what.”

“But I can’t…”

“Minho is going to pay for the bills, no worries.” Key shushed him. “Its not like he can’t afford it.”

“I can’t just.”

“You can and will.”

“Minho never agree to any of this.”

“Minho should stop referring to himself in the third person.” Sulli teased.

Minho rolled his eyes, balled up his burger wrapper and tossed it at the garbage can. “3 points!” He cheered as the garbage sunk in.

“Children. I’m spending my time with children.” Key muttered, signaling Jonghyun to gather the rest of the trash and collect their bags.

“How do I always end up like your errand boy?” The shorter complained, following the directions he’d been given.

Key shrugged, walking around the table and tugging on Taemin’s arm. “Come on, while Jonghyun does that, lets go look at phones.”

Taemin obliged, following his friend and failing to notice how Jonghyun moved off in the opposite direction and the girls informed Minho of their plans.

The cell phone store was nearly empty as Key dragged Taemin over to the display of the latest models.

“I don’t need anything too flashy.” He said as he picked up a phone similar to what Minho had.

“Well that’s the opposite of nothing too flashy, do you like it?”

Taemin couldn’t help himself and he felt himself nod.

“Should we get that one then?”

Taemin nodded again.

“Cases!” Amber said, already holding black case with silver spikes and waving it at them.

“And a screen protector.” Sulli chimed in, adding her own item to the counter.

“Headphones.” Minho held what were possibly the most expensive headphones in the store.

“Eurgh, you guys, this is about Taemin.” Key snapped, “You pick what you want.”

“That’s okay. Whatever is fine. I don’t really know anything about this stuff.” Taemin gave a smile to Key that made the older pinch his cheeks.

“We’ll take this.” He said to the attendant who came to serve them. “Put it on my card and change the phone, we’ll pick it up in an hour or so.” He tossed a credit card on the counter, and sliding his wallet back into his pocket, smirked at Minho before adding, “It’s going to be under his account, he’ll give you his information.”

Minho rolled his eyes as the flustered attendant hurried to fulfill Key’s demands as the flashy man pulled his dwindling entourage out of the store leaving Minho behind.

“He’ll catch up.” Key assured Taemin as he ushered the boy towards another store. “Now come with me, you need a winter coat of your own.” He paused, looking the other up and down. “And boots, why don’t you have boots? Wait, never mind, it doesn’t matter.”

The store they entered was like all the ones they had entered earlier, but this time, it seemed to be all about Taemin.

“You don’t have to do this.” He muttered, embarrassed for the millionth time, “Really, its not necessary.”

“Of course it is, and I should have realized it sooner.” Key held up a coat before discarding it on a growing pile of rejects. “And anyways, I like taking care of my friends. I told you on the plane that we were friends and you were stuck with me. If you don’t help pick out what you like, you’re going to have to live with what I pick.”

“And you don’t want that.” Minho said, entering the store and picking up a simple black coat with a fake fur hood lining. “What do you think.”

“I like it.” Taemin said, moving to run his hands over the material, smiling until he saw the price. “No way.”

“What?” Minho asked, looking at the tag. “Oh its on sale.”

“Sale? Perfect.” Key grabbed the coat from Minho’s hands.

“No, I can’t. Its too expensive.”  Taemin stuttered, thinking of how much the coat had to be not on sale.

“Its on sale.” Key explained slowly. “We’re getting it.” He matched boots, mitts and a scarf with the beanie Taemin had picked out first.

“Don’t forget these!” Sulli called as she held up a pair of sunglasses. “They’ve got a special winter coating.”

Taemin couldn’t bare to look at the total as Key run up his purchases and the older wouldn’t let him carry the bags as they left the store.

“Just a few stops left. Don’t complain, Minho can carry your bags. You’ll need your hands free.” Key said, linking arms and dragging Taemin on.

Jonghyun caught up to them just as they were leaving. “Hyung!” Taemin cried, noticing for the first time that the older hadn’t been with them.

“Are we done?” Jonghyun whined, “Those stores are horrible. The girls mobbed me.” He lay his head on Key’s shoulder.

“You’re Kim Jonghyun, of course they mobbed you. They want in your pants hoping that they’ll be able to marry you.” Sulli snarked, tired and once again hungry.

“Don’t talk like that.” Minho grunted. “Lets just pick up the phone and be done.”

Key sighed dramatically, “None of you understand the seriousness that is fashion. It takes time.” He stalked off.

“Follow the diva!” Jonghyun shouted, pointing with an armful of bags.

Taemin grinned, offering Sulli his arm as they trailed after, Jonghyun and Amber. Minho lagged behind, typing something on his phone. Taemin chanced a glance at him, before Sulli drew his attention back to her.

Taemin knew he’d have to find a way to repay them, but as he walked along like a normal kid, he thought that maybe shopping with the rich kids wasn’t so bad after all.

------

So Taemin's friends have figured out what sent him off... do you think they did the right thing in the end?

Comments, questions, anything? Drop me a line and let me know... I love to hear anything and everything you guys have to say :)

But anyways, I've got family visiting so I should be off...

Talk to you all later,

Loves and hugs

Kat