20: Shopping is Uncomfortable

No Body Knows

Over the next few weeks, Taemin found himself settling into the school nicely.

Or as nicely as one could when an upperclassman was glaring at them in the hallways while his henchmen laughed and taunted him. They couldn’t do anything though because of Taemin’s constant guard.

The weekend shopping trip that had been planned for the first weekend of term, had to be pushed back after Key found himself in detention. He couldn’t help himself from enacting a little revenge on the elder student who had “dared mess with his son.”

He had ‘accidentally’ tripped Yunho in the cafeteria and ended up causing a food fight that end with several teachers covered in rice and mashed potatoes.

It was worth it in his books however, as it sent a message to the older student. One didn’t mess with a member of Key’s group and get away with it.

Even if it was only a simple thing like mashed potatoes that somehow managed to make their way into the back of the senior’s pants.

With various clubs and groups starting up the second week back, weekends became filled with practices and meetings as everyone reveled in the excitement that was returning to their social groups after forced family interaction.

Not to mention the fact that Minho, Key and Jonghyun often disappeared for hours on end without explanation. Their whereabouts were unknown and not even the girls said anything about what they were up to.

Taemin, after asking once and getting no real reply, knew enough to not ask again.

The last thing he wanted was for his friends to get fed up with him and leave him alone to fend for himself. It would be a long couple years without friends if these ones were to leave him.

Especially since it was only because of them that anyone else risked talking to poor Taemin and he was well aware of that fact.

No one wanted to risk Yunho’s anger if they didn’t have the backing of Key, Minho and Jonghyun.

So it wasn’t until mid way through February that the group found themselves all available at the same time to hit the mall and spend obscene amounts of their parents money.

Taemin’s heart raced as he walked out the doorway to the dorm and headed towards the front gates. He was quiet as his friends chatted, nervous about his first time in Seoul and about his first time away from the school with his friends.
The grounds were quiet, the fresh snow muffling the sounds of their footsteps as they walked. Puffs of breath could be seen as Key and the girls chattered aimlessly, asking questions every so often to make sure that the boys were listening.

Taemin’s feet were getting damp in his running shoes, the light weight material not made for walking through snow. He shuffled along, ignoring the uncomfortable feeling thinking that they would dry after he got inside.

It wasn’t like this was his first time without boots, or a proper coat.

“Tae-ah, are you coming?” Key called looking back at his lagging friend. “Is that coat alright?” He stopped walking to wait for Taemin to catch up, hands reaching up to adjust the younger’s coat. “Its a good thing you’re thin, otherwise I think Jjong’s coat would have been too short for you.” He looked over at the shortest man before shooting a look towards the tallest. “And Minho’s would have been too big by far for you.”

“You know, you could have lent him one of yours, right?” Minho said, glaring at the flashy boy. “You do have, like, seven in your closet.”

Key ignored Minho and continued to fuss with Taemin’s borrowed coat.

“Its okay hyung.” Taemin said smiling, “I would have been okay with my own coat anyways, its not as cold here as it could get when I lived in Michigan.”

No one chose to reply to that, having learned over the last few weeks that Taemin’s life had been vastly different from anything they could have dreamed of.

“So Minho, Taemin and girls, you’re going to go in Minho’s car. Jonghyun and I will take mine.” Key organized the groups when they reached the student parking lot. Two identical black cars bracketed a red car identical in make and model to the black ones.

The red car beeped and flashed its lights as Key unlocked it. Taemin’s jaw dropped at the sight of the yet unreleased model for that year.

“Daddy.” Sulli said, grinning at Taemin’s face and tugging at the back door to the black car on the left.

Minho rolled his eyes at his sister’s impatience before he too unlocked his car, not saying a word as he slid in to the driver’s seat as the girls took the back.

Jonghyun grumbled as he took the passenger side, he hated it when Key drove. The younger always drove like a bat out of hell, scaring the wits out of him.

“Are you coming?” Key said to Taemin, tugging at the younger’s arm. “You’re riding with Minho. He’ll follow me.” The door to Minho’s car opened, Minho leaning over the passenger side. Key gave Taemin a push.
Stumbling, Taemin found his way into the car, fumbling for the seat belt as the ignition roared to life.

“Hold on.” Minho said, “We’re following Key and he drives like the stores are going out of business and everything is on sale.”

The red car drove off in a squeal of tires and Minho followed.

Taemin gripped his seat and looked straight ahead.

“Just don’t kill us.” Amber said from the back, “I’d like to live to graduate from this place.”

Minho just chuckled, eyes on the road, a flash of break lights before Key’s thin hand waved through the open window at the guard tower. The gates opened and both cars headed out.

Taemin’s brain buzzed as he watched the town flash by, the excited chatter from the girls filling his ears as white noise. The words meant nothing to him as his stomach did flips. Not sure if it was from excitement or nervousness, Taemin kept his mouth shut for fear of being sick.

It was hard for him to believe that this was his life and he didn’t want to say anything that might change that.  

The drive was both longer and shorter than he imagined. It was an odd juxtaposition, but it seemed to suit his feeling.

They pulled up to a large shopping centre and followed the red car around to the back, pulling into a space close to an employee entrance.

Taemin looked around confused as Minho parked beside Key in a space marked Choi, gear shift slipping into park before he noticed the confused look on Taemin’s face. “Key’s father owes this mall, we come here enough that Key had spots marked for us.”

“Oh.” He sat still, blinking in wonder at the lifestyle he had slipped into.

“Come on oppa!” Sulli said as she and Amber exited the car, bouncing in excitement.

Taemin shook his head to clear his thoughts and opened his own door.

It was a huge culture shock as he followed the group into the mall. He didn’t have much experience at shopping malls but there were things he spotted that were similar and things that were different, not to mention the loud explosion of Korean that actually hurt his ears.

Music played throughout the mall and the food court, where they emerged from the employee only entrance. Taemin was quiet at Key and the girls argued their shopping game plan. Jonghyun stared at a girl in a low cut shirt, wincing when Key noticed and punched his arm.

It was Minho who discovered Taemin’s discomfort. “Are you okay?” He asked, reaching out a hand to settle on the younger’s shoulder.

Taemin nodded.

“You’re lying.”

Biting his lip, Taemin averted his gaze.

“If you’re not okay, we can go.” Minho said, drawing closer to Taemin as he drew them to the back of the group, away from where Key chattered happily and dragged Jonghyun into the first store.

“No!” Taemin’s eyes jerked to Minho. He didn’t want to be the weird kid who made Minho leave his friends because he couldn’t handle a mall. “I didn’t go shopping much at home.”

“You mean in America?”

Taemin nodded. “Its just a lot to take in and I’m still adjusting to using Korean instead of English.”

Minho nodded, understanding what Taemin was saying. “I’m sorry, we should have asked how you felt before…”

“No.” Taemin said, stopping suddenly. “I want to be here. It’ll be fun. I just need to adjust and stop being weird.” His tone of voice told Minho that the topic was closed while his heart beat hard in his chest. The last thing he wanted was to alienate his friends and have them leave him behind. “Unless you don’t want me here.” The thought came to him almost too late.

Minho looked shocked, as if he never expected that Taemin would think they didn’t want him. He asked as much and the younger blushed in embarrassment.

“I’m not use to people wanting me.” Unbelieving of the words coming out of his mouth, Taemin’s voice was small as he turned away to watch Amber and Sulli squeal over a pair of high heeled shoes.

“We want you, you’re our friend.” Minho paused for a moment, taking in Taemin’s sad expression and closed off body language. “And Key’s already claimed you as his son, so there’s no getting away from that.”

Taemin turned back to him and smiled. Minho could tell that the smile wasn’t reaching the younger’s eyes, but he was going to take what he could. Even seeing the fake little smile was better than the miserable look he saw much too often.

“Now, lets go catch up with the girls before Sulli spends all dad’s money.” Taking Taemin by the hand, Minho pulled him towards their friends.

He didn’t see the blush that happened across Taemin’s cheeks and up his neck at the action.

 

 


“Oppa, I’m hungry.” Sulli said after hours of shopping as she began tugging on Minho’s sleeve, “Can we hit the food court next?” She pouted and rubbed at her stomach, trying to look cute.

Minho raised an eyebrow at her aegyo and lifted his arms indicating the bags that he was holding. “I don’t think I’m in any position to make decisions, since I’m only here to be a bag boy.”

“Thats not true.” Jonghyun said, holding up his own share of bags. “You’re here to pay for her too.” He stopped laughing as Key and Amber exited another store and deposited their bags with him.

He sighed dramatically. “My arms are going to fall off if you two get any more. Lets get lunch and take a break.”

“Oh Jjongie.” Key said turning on his own aegyo, “But you’re so strong and handsome with those big muscles, you can’t be tired yet.” He batted his eyelashes, knowing that he was getting strange looks from people and not caring.

Jonghyun puffed his chest up and Minho stared laughing before the older could preen. “Lunch.”

Amber grinned and grabbed Sulli and Taemin’s arms, dragging them off in the direction of food. “Good, I’m starving!”

Taemin tripped over his feet in his rush to keep up and barely managed to keep his footing as he let the girls drag him off. He knew better than to argue with them, the only person brave enough to do so was Key, and no one argued with Key.

The girls located a table off to one side of the food court, flopping down and wriggling their aching feet. “Shopping is hard work.” Minho teased as he dropped his bags, and Sulli’s, before kicking them under the table.

“We’ll wait here while you guys go get food.” Amber instructed, digging out her phone and tapping at the screen. “I want french fries.”

“Me too.” Sulli said, digging out her own phone. “With ketchup and salt.”

“I guess you’re not paying.” Minho said, shaking his head at his sister.

“Why would I? I’d just be spending dad’s money anyways, and you’ve got control of that as well, so you might as well just get mine too.” She smiled sweetly at her brother, knowing that it didn’t affect him, but doing it anyways.

Rolling his eyes Minho started off, “Taemin, are you coming?”

Eyes wide, Taemin nodded a bit too quick to be natural. He trailed after Minho, who followed Key and Jonghyun to where the food stalls were set.

Staring around at all the different places, Taemin felt his heart race and his stomach twist with nerves. He only had a little bit of money left and he didn't want to waste it buying food when he could eat for free at school later. It was silly, but knowing that he couldn’t buy anything made him feel bad. Especially when he could feel his stomach rumbling at the smell of grease and cooking meat.

“I think I want pizza.” Key said, tapping his chin. “Jjonie, lets get pizza.”

Shrugging, Jonghyun followed after Key who headed straight for a pizza stand.

“I want a cheeseburger.” Minho said, “The girls want fries, so I can get them all together. What are you having?” He turned to look at Taemin.

Biting his lip, Taemin looked around before trying to make his excuses. “I’m not sure, I’ll walk around and see what’s here.”

Minho nodded, “Right, you’ve never been here before. I’ll meet you back at the table then. Okay?”

Taemin nodded, using his hands to shoo Minho off. Then he dug out his wallet and looked at the meager amount of money it held. He didn’t have much left, but he hadn’t had much to begin with anyways.

Walking over to a stand far away from the other three and out of sight of the girls, Taemin stood in line. When he reached the front, he nervously asked for the only thing he could afford. “Could I have a cup of water please?”

The girl running the counter had smiled at him when he walked up, but started to frown as she took in his ill-fitting jacket, undyed hair and beat up wallet. Taemin had refused to allow Key to do hair or makeup for him after Yunho's attack, leaving him looking out of place in the mall with all the stylized people.

The cost of the drink was less than what Taemin calculated to be one dollar, but it still hurt watching the money pass from his hands to another. Accepting the cup, he bowed like he had seen others do before stepping away from the line.

People whispered about him as he walked away and he could feel his face flush.

He didn’t want to return to the table with only his drink, especially not when he watched the others returning with trays of food. He knew that he couldn’t afford to buy anything, his food cost was covered through the school, he didn’t get an allowance to spend outside the cafeteria. It had basically been assumed that he would never leave the building anyways, and why would the government give an allowance to someone like him. They’d have to give one to every child then and that would be ridiculous.

But Taemin knew that his friends would start looking for him if he didn’t return, so he squared his shoulders and headed towards the laughing group.

“There he is!” Sulli said happily as she saw Taemin approach. The smile faded from her face however, when she saw that he only carried a cup. “Taemin? Where’s your lunch? Aren't you eating?” She asked confused.

Biting his lip and looking down at the ground, the youngest boy answered softly, trying to hide his embarrassment. “I’m not really hungry.” He said, “I’ll just eat later at the dorm.” Lifting his head up, he tried to smile, knowing that like earlier it didn’t meet his eyes. “You guys eat, don’t worry about me.” He lifted up his cup. “I just need a drink.”

His stomach rumbling tore away his excuses as the words fell from his mouth and caused Jonghyun to stare at him, a piece of pizza half way to the eldest’s mouth.

Key’s eyes narrowed in suspicion, and Taemin hung his head in shame.

Moisture filled the younger’s eyes and he blinked fast before blindly setting his drink on the table. “I’ve got something in my eye. I’ll be back.” He spoke fast before rushing off.

He could feel eyes on his back as he rushed off. He was embarrassed about the tears in his eyes. He hated it and felt ridiculous, back in America it had been easier to hide his emotions when he didn’t have people around him who cared. Easier to hide when he never let up.

It was easier to keep the facade going than it was to get it started after stopping it.

Bumping into someone, he turned and stuttered out an apology in English. He lapsed into the language unconsciously out of habit. The woman he bumped into snapped at him and he rushed on.

Not knowing where he was going, Taemin spotted a sign that he recognized in any language, the bathroom.

Inside he leaned against the counter and stared into the mirror. His eyes were glassy and his cheeks were red. He should have expected this, shopping with rich kids, he thought he could handle it.

So he splashed some cool water on his face and took a deep breath. “Do you want to have friends or not?” He asked the image of himself in the mirror. “You’ve always been broke, why is this any different?”

His stomach growled, reminding him of why it was different. It was different because he had already let himself care about these people, had already started to believe they may care about him. “I need to find a job.”

If he could find a job, he would be able to have some spending money. Nothing like his friends had, but at least he’d be able to afford to eat if they went out again.

If they wanted to invite him next time. After his embarrasing stunt he'd be lucky if they still wanted to be seen with him at all.

Sighing and splashing some more water, Taemin examined himself again. “Passable.”

Bracing himself for the stares and the questions, the young boy ignored the funny looks he was getting from men washing their hands and squaring his shoulders like he was headed off to a battle, he tugged the bathroom door open and walked out.

 

-----

Poor Taemin, just as he starts to feel like he fits in, something like this happens. How do you think his friends are going to react to this?

Drop me your thoughts, questions or whatever!

Loves to you all!

Kat