24: First Meeting

No Body Knows

Taemin barely ate during breakfast, choosing to pick at the food on his plate, mushing things up in an attempt to make it look like he had eaten.

He was going to meet Jinki.

The mysterious former roommate that his friends talked about but didn't tell about.

He supposed that he should feel honored that they liked him enough to bring him into their circle, but the only thing he could feel was nervousness that he wasn't going to be approved of.

Or worse.

That Minho would be upset when he found out that Key and Jonghyun had invited him along without first asking for Minho's permission.

“Aren’t you eating?” Of course Key had caught on to what he was trying to do. “Stop being nervous, its only Jinki.”

Taemin swallowed hard, nodding unconvincingly.

“Leave him alone.” Jonghyun said, placing a calming hand on Key’s shoulder. “He has a right to be nervous, its not like we told him about Jinki.”

“What’s to tell.” Key said, shrugging Jonghyun’s hand off.

“Everything.” Sulli said with a tone that said her answer should have been obvious.

“Well then why don’t you do it.” Key snapped, standing up and storming off.

Jonghyun sent Taemin an apologizing look before he took off after the upset boy.

“Its okay.” Taemin said to the girls, “I don’t need to go, no one has to tell me anything.”

“Of course we do. If you’re going to be spending time with us then you have to know.” Amber said. “Key is just Key. You know, he gets worked up easily.”

“He’s a pain.” Sulli said, “But he means well.”

Taemin nodded, watching across the room as Jonghyun caught up with Key. The younger tried to dodge his grasp but the shorter boy was quicker. They had a fight, silent to Taemin’s ears, that led to Key grudgingly following Jonghyun back to the table.

“I’m sorry.” Key mumbled, taking his spot and grabbing his coffee cup. Clutching the mug in his hands, he stared into the depths of his drink. “Jinki is… Jinki is…” he tried to explain twice and both time he was unable to finish.

“Its my fault.” He was finally able to whisper, not looking at Taemin’s face. “Its all my fault and Minho hates me for it.”

Confused, Taemin stared at his hyung. It certainly didn’t seem like Minho hated Key. If anything Minho loved Key like a brother. So he said as much.

“You can love someone and still hate them.” Key said, setting his cup down.

“Either tell him now or wait until we see him.” Amber said as she stood and gathered her and Sulli’s trays. “We’re already running late because you had to style Taemin, if we don’t get there soon, Minho will start to hate you.” She stalked off, Sulli following in her wake.

“Maybe it will be easier to show him, instead of telling?” Jonghyun suggested, trying to calm Key’s glare.

Key nodded, still looking darkly at the girls.

Not wanting to get in the middle of something he wasn’t understanding, Taemin took control of his tray along with the other two. It was enough to pull Key out of his anger and shout at Taemin to not “act like a servant.”

Taemin ignored him, dumped the trays and made his way over to the girls so they could wait together. “Just remember, no matter what, Key’s crazy.” Sulli said, trying to lighten Taemin’s mood as their group became five again.

"I resent that." Key said, giving Sulli a scoreful look.

"You would." She retorted, snatching Taemin's arm.

"Get bent." The prissy male responded, grabbing hold on Taemin's free side causing the boy to be trapped between the two, shooting nasty looks at each other.

Taemin tried sending Amber and Jonghyun pleading looks, but they both knew better than to interfer with anything Sulli or Kibum were doing.

Finding himself frog-marched to the parking lot, Taemin's head swam with a thousand thoughts. Nothing seemed to connect into a single question or thought. A thousand pieces with nothing to bring them together.

So he stayed quiet.

Everyone stayed quiet.

The decision to wait to bring Taemin into the loop seemed to stall something in everyone.

Jonghyun was chosen as driver, Key having willing handed over control.

Or as willingly as he could, giving Jonghyun orders from where the younger sat in the passenger's seat.

"You know, I did pass the driver's test without your help, I'm pretty sure I can make it from here to the hospital without you yelling instructions in my ear." Jonghyun sighed deeply, shaking his head as he watched Key white knuckle the dash board as he speed out of the parking lot.

Key didn't dignify that with a response.

 

 

The hospital loomed ahead of them, dark grey with walls of windows. Grey clouds made the scene dismal looking, like something from an old movie.

Murky snow covered the ground, littered by the paths of a hundred feet. It seemed a lonesome place,

Jonghyun swung the car into a spot in a lot full of flashy, expensive cars. The sign in the front of the spot read Kim Reserved, like a hundred others paid for with expensive donations or high paid salaries. Choi and Lee marked the spaces on either side, Lee was empty.

Taemin recognized Minho's car beside them in the Choi spot, but kept quiet as his heart really began beating hard in his chest.

"Come on." Sulli said, tugging Taemin out of where-ever his mind had wandered to.

Nodding, he followed, trudging through the slush and entering through the automatic doors of the front reception area. 

From the inside it was easier to see the posh aspect of the place. Clearly it was a hospital for the weathly, built for those with money.

It was floor to ceiling, gleaming white. People moved quickly around, never stopping until they were out of sight.

"Come on." Jonghyun said, leading the way to the shinying elevators, "This way." He nodded at several nurses and one doctor as they made their way over. The doors to the silver box opened as they approached and Taemin shivered as he stepped in.

He'd been in hospitals before, but usually as the patient not as the visitor.

It was almost surreal how quiet his usually loud friends were, it really told Taemin of the serious situation they were in.

When the bell tolled as the reached their floor, Taemin jumped, not having been expecting it.

Key let out a little laugh, then reached out for Jonghyun's hand gripping it hard as they stepped off the elevator first.

Sulli and Amber followed behind them, leaving Taemin to take up the end.

They walked down a long, sterile hallway where every door was shut. The doors seemed to be spaced further apart than the hospitals Taemin was used to in the United States. The bright lights hurt Taemin's eyes, and he squinted, not seeing the group stop.

"Careful." Sulli said as she steadied him, keeping him from falling to the ground.

"Sorry." He whispered as he looked around. They had stopped in front of a room with no number, only a name plate identified who was in the private room. Lee Jin Ki.

It was Key who stepped forward and knocked softly on the door before turning the handle and pushing.

The room was dimmly lit, the glowing light from machines surrounding the bed gave an eerie glow to the man on the bed. Tubes and wires ran over his body, all connected to some dripping medical concoction or beeping machine.

Or rather boy.

He didn't look all that much older than Taemin, and something about his face screamed familiarity.

Taemin felt himself staring, and shook his head once to come back to reality.

His roommate was asleep in a chair beside the bed, one hand gripping the unconsious boy's hand. His face looked calm in sleep, like he had nothing in the world to worry over.

"Taemin." Jonghyun said, ushering everyone into the room and closing the door. "Meet Lee Jinki."

 

------

Posting this chapter just before Minho's Birthday is over!!! (At least here in Ontario!!) Happy Birthday Minho!!!

And me too!! Did I mention that I am exactly 3 years older than that gorgeous man?! Gods know he can call me noona anytime!

Anyways, comments are the best kind of gift! Drop me a line and let me know what you think!

Predictions, suggestions, thoughts?

Loves you all,

Kat