44

No Body Knows

 When they returned back to the dorm parking, Taemin saw that both Minho and Key’s cars were parked in their usual spots. Jonghyun pulled in between them and shifted into park. The engine’s rumble quit as the elder turned the key in the ignition and the silence between the two boys was thick. Taemin felt his body go cold and he had the oddest feeling of regret without really regretting. 

 

“I’m in trouble.” He said, more to himself than to his friend. 

 

Jonghyun stared at him with eyebrows raised. “You don’t say.” 

 

Taemin sighed and undid his seat belt to slump over the dash, his head pressing into the hard plastic in an attempt that the pain would help him focus. “I made a mistake.”

 

“You messed up.” Jonghyun started but found himself being cut off as Taemin lifted his head. 

 

“I’m going to get myself killed.” Taemin’s tone was resigned, not sad or scared. He had accepted that he wasn’t likely going to live a long life a long time ago. The foster system had beaten that acceptance into him, literally, years ago. Being murdered for being the kidnapped son of a wealthy family wasn’t exactly dying from an overdose or being beaten to death by a foster family but it was his lot in life and he expected it. 

 

Jonghyun made a funny noise and reached out and lay his hand on Taemin’s shoulder. “No you’re not.”

 

“Don’t be cliché hyung.” Taemin muttered, leaning into the touch. “I know I shouldn’t have gone to see Jinki, but I couldn’t help it. I don’t know what I was thinking. I’m a walking disaster, I get attacked in my own dorm room and I still make the stupid choice to head out into Seoul alone.”

 

“Who’s being cliché now?” Jonghyun began, taking a deep breath and bracing himself before he launched into speech. “You made a stupid choice, I’m not going to lie and say you didn’t. You lied to Minho, you broke your word and you could have been hurt. You’re right, you weren’t thinking when you headed out into the city by yourself, even if things were different the city can be a dangerous place.”

 

Taemin opened his mouth but with a hand held up by Jonghyun, he quickly shut it. 

 

“You were already gone when you sent that message to Minho weren’t you?” He waited while Taemin nodded. “I figured out that you would go to Jinki, Key refused to believe me because he said you swore you wouldn’t go. He’s too cynical but trustful of his family. Minho headed to Jinki’s, to your parents’ house, I don’t know what his plan was when he got there or why he figured you’d go there, but I didn’t stop him. Figured that it would be best if I got to you first.”

 

The elder reached across the centre consul and pulled his younger friend into a hug. “I’m going to warn you now, they’re pissed and before you say anything, yes they do have the right to feel that way. I’m angry with your decision too, but I get it. This will be our only discussion about it, Key will drag this out longer than necessary and Minho, he’ll probably blow up fast and hard and quite frankly I don’t want to be there for that.”

 

Taemin rested his head awkwardly on Jonghyun’s shoulder, the gear shift digging into his side as he leaned into his friend. 

 

“I’ll just ask one thing,” Jonghyun said softly, “just one and I expect you to tell me the truth.”

 

He waited to feel Taemin’s head shift in a nod before asking, “Did you get what you were looking for?”

 

Pulling back, Taemin couldn’t keep the smile off his face as he wiped his damp eyes. “He was awake. He’s nice.” Nice didn’t really cover it, so Taemin tried to find another way to say what he needed. “I… I showed him our pictures and told him about me. I don’t know how to describe how I felt seeing him but it’s like something was missing in me and now its not. I need more of him. That sounds weird, but I don’t know how else to say it. I just need more of him, I’m almost an adult and all I wanted to do was crawl in his lap and hold onto him, I don’t even really know him.”

 

“That’s not weird.” Jonghyun said, “Okay maybe a bit but that’s only because I’m pretty sure you’re taller than Jinki after that last growth spurt of yours.” He teased trying to lighten the mood. “I’m glad you talked to him, but now more than ever you need to stay with one of us at all times. If there is someone watching Jinki, they’ll know you know. Until we find out and prove who is responsible and what really happened, you’re in danger. You could get killed, Jinki could be killed for real this time.”

 

“The stakes are higher.” Taemin mumbled to himself in English, shaking his head at Jonghyun’s confused face. “Time to face the music.” He said, gathering up his bag. 

 

Jonghyun nodded and they both stepped cautiously out into the dark, Jonghyun’s head twisting from side to side on guard as the car lights flashed when it locked. 

 

Taemin moved quickly around the car and pressed close to Jonghyun’s side as the moved quickly to the dorm doors. 

 

“How do I tell them I’m sorry?” Taemin asked softly when the reached the relative safety of the interior of the dorm. 

 

“Don’t be sorry.” Jonghyun answered, their footsteps sounding loud as they headed to the entrance to their hall. “Admit you were wrong for going but don’t apologize for it. Apologize for making them worry but don’t feel guilty. They both would have done the same in your position.”

 

Jonghyun’s keys rattled as he swiped his card to get into the closed hall. 

 

The closer they walked the faster Taemin’s heart beat. “But what can I do?”

 

Jonghyun couldn’t hold back the little chuckle that escaped him. “I can’t say much about Key but  if you want to make it up to Minho, a is a hell of an apology.” They reached Taemin’s door as the younger’s eyes went wide and he flushed a deep red. 

 

“Hyung!” He hissed, looking around the empty hallway to reassure himself that no one heard. 

 

Jonghyun smirked but didn’t reply as he reached out and opened the door and giving Taemin a push, propelled the youngest inside. 

 

 

------------

So this is very short and long overdue but its something right? Hopefully I'll have a longer chapter up later this weekend but I wanted to post something. 

Unfortunately being an actual adult has really cut into my writing time but I'm hoping to remedy that soon!

Comments remind me to write even when things are crazy! Love to you all regardless though! 

Loves to you all

Kat