24

Her Demon {DISCONTINUED}

Sora’s lips were still buzzing after that kiss. There was nothing she could do to entertain herself or distract her long enough for Kai’s return. She hoped dearly that he would return to her soundly. The sudden caring and affection was confusion Sora but she could hardly avoid the feeling. Kai had wormed his way into her life and she was used to it. So used to it that she detested the idea of him leaving it. Burying her head in her hands, she waited patiently whilst sat on the edge of the bed they had shared and worried away.

“Please come back, Kai.” She whispered to herself.

She touched her lips, reminiscing the kiss; the feeling of dread filled her up entirely. It was as if he was saying goodbye.

 

Kai hid in the darkest shadows, keeping close to the rundown brick walls. Every so often, a demon of some sort would pass by and he would have to retreat to the darkness even more to prevent being seen. He was sure Satan had a large bounty put out hanging over his head, and no demon or mythical being would hesitate in turning him in.

His first task was to find Chen. He had transported first to where Chen would usually rest, but he was nowhere to be seen. Then came the tedious journey in finding him. Kai looked everywhere he could think of but Chen never showed himself. There was a niggling feeling at the back of Kai’s head that maybe, Satan had taken him in again to torture and withdraw information from him.

Approaching whistling snapped Kai out of his thoughtful daze. Echoing footsteps were nearing his position and then followed by humming. Kai stepped back further, into the gloomiest corner to avoid whoever was coming his way.

Click.

Click.

Click.

The footsteps were slowing down until they came to a stop. Whoever it was had their back turned to Kai and merely a couple of meters away from him. The stranger sniffed the air, twisting their body slightly as if there was an invisible trail that would lead to something worthwhile.

“Ohoho, who do we have here?” the stranger spoke as soon as he caught a glimpse of Kai. Kai scowled deeply, his muscles tensed ready for any attack and he stepped into the light.

“Kai,” The other male greeted. Kai instantly recognised him and his eyes lit with fury. He was a built man who wore a finely fitted suit with pinstripes running along the dark navy material. He was a soul reaper; he went from human to human, gathering their souls exchange for a ‘too-good-to-be-true’ deals. Of course, the deals really were too good to be true and the consequences never failed to make the human suffer.

“Fancy seeing you here,” The reaper said with amusements. Kai spat out his name in an aggressive greeting, “Shang.”

“I see you still remember your dear old father.” Shang said, chuckling at the end of his sentence. He hissed playfully, “You’ve gotten yourself in a lot of trouble young man.”

“I don’t need you to lecture me. I know what I’ve done and don’t worry, I will end it.” Kai growled, attempting to slip away from Shang to resume his search for Chen. However, his father grasped onto his elbow and roughly shoved him back into position, firing up Kai’s anger even more.

“Listen here boy, you have made one very powerful being angry! And all because of a human girl!” Shang hissed. Kai removed his hands off and glared at him, “She’s hardly what you’d classify as human

Shang scrutinized his son’s face.

“You’ll find Chen at the Gateway of Death.” Shang finally said. Kai remained stoic and transported himself away without another word. Shang stared for a moment at the now empty space. A smirk filled his lips and a glassy orb floated over to him.

“Well?” The voice of Satan emitted from the orb. Shang straightened up in a professional manner, “It is done my lord. Kai is only seconds away.”

“Good.”

The orb evaporated into nothing and Shang was left standing alone. The betrayal he had committed was heavy on his heart for a mere second before he dismissed the feeling away, feeling no remorse for his actions.

 

The Gateway of Death was a morbid place. Two wrought iron pillars stood apart and tall, tinged with rust and flaking black paint. The burning sky seemed to blend with the brick red dirt on the ground. Kai looked around, noticing there were no shadows to hide in or buildings to duck behind.

He was completely exposed and vulnerable.

“Chen!” Kai hissed quietly. Why Chen would be here confused Kai, but he hadn’t had a second to think about it or be suspicious. All he wanted was to be away from Shang.

“It’s about time you turned up.” Satan’s voice rumbled behind Kai, causing him to spin rapidly and position his body into a defensive stance.  Satan chuckled, “You think you’re a match for me?”

With a flick of his wrist, Kai flew through the air, sailing until his back collided with one of the iron pillars.

“You should be lucky I didn’t aim your body between the pillars.” Satan growled hatefully. Kai was lucky; a singly finger through the space between the iron pillars and he was gone. into an oblivion with no way of returning.

“Now where is Sora?” Satan asked impolitely. Kai groaned as his lifted himself back onto his feet. When only silence was heard, Satan roared fiercely, his hands forming a spitting ball of flames and projected it to Kai.

Alarmed, Kai’s eyes widened and immediately, he transported the flames only just able to away at him. He was now in another part of Hell. It was only a matter of time before Satan would come after him.

“Chen you little runt! Show yourself!” Kai yelled out of frustration.

“Yeah?”

Kai spun around to be greeted by Chen’s face. He sighed in relief, grabbing Chen’s shoulders.

“Listen, I haven’t got long,” Kai explained, “Sora and I are in Moscow; co-ordinates are 55.7195̊ N, 37.6958̊ E. We need supplies. And find Aria!”

“Who?” Chen asked, whilst trying to digest and memorise the co-ordinates.

“She can help apparently. Just find her. Aria, remember, black cloak and veil.” Kai said, panting slightly. “I need to go. And you need to get out of here before Satan comes too and thinks you have information.”

Kai disappeared for another time and this time was back in the bedsit in Moscow.

Sora leapt up from the bed and wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Oh my god, are you alright? Did you get into any trouble?” Sora pulled her bead back and stepped a bit back to further examine his appearance. Her eyes widened where she noticed a small burn on his left cheek.

“What happened there?” She demanded to know, turning his head abruptly so she could get a closer look at his face.

“It doesn’t even hurt,” Kai tried to reassure. Sora scoffed and tapped it lightly with her finger, causing Kai to flinch away and hiss in pain.

“Of course it doesn’t.” She shook her head and rummaged around the cupboards to find some cloth to clean his burn, and some antiseptic cream.

“What happened?” She asked once more.

“I ran into Satan but I escaped okay” Kai added when he looked at Sora’s alarmed expression. “Then?” She urged.

“I found Chen. We couldn’t speak for long. He knows where we are and is going to find Aria.” He explained. Sora nodded, settling down on the bed beside him and frowned.

“I’ll be more careful next time,” Kai said, effectively reading her thoughts about his well-being.

Sora rolled her eyes dabbing his cheek, “What makes you think there’s going to be a next time?”

Kai chuckled at her tone, knowing well that she didn’t fully mean it. He pecked her lips softly causing her face to soften a bit.