1

Her Demon {DISCONTINUED}

 

Sora looked down at the piece of paper in her palm that had simple directions she had jotted down. They led to the house where her job was going to be and at this rate, she’d be late if she couldn’t figure out what she had written any time soon.

“Why couldn’t I have nice girly handwriting?” she scolded herself. Luck seemed to be on her side because after a bit of wondering, she found the street she was looking for.

It was the house near the end. It had a large driveway and a patch of grass on the side where there stood and old looking tree. By now, autumn had stolen the life out of the green leaves, and they lay in the soggy mud in disarray.

Sora took a deep breath in before opening up a small gate that connected to a stone path. It led directly to the front door. The hinges squeaked as she shut in behind her. Looking up at the house, she could tell it was a beautiful building. The windows were framed with white and the outside was painted with a light shade of blue. It was truly the definition of a ‘dream house’.

Her eyes caught a figure that stood by the window. There was not a face to make out, or a clue to conclude that it was male or female.

One of the kids I bet, She thought to herself.

In the time it took her to blink, the person in the window was gone. Not a trace left.

Shrugging it off, she went striding down the path and knocked on the door. A woman opened up and brightened the moment she saw Sora.

“Ah you must be the babysitter” she cried, “Thank god you’re here. Well come on in; it’s freezing out there”

She ushered Sora in and showed her to the living room.

“My husband and I are going to his company fundraiser and I am so glad you could come in such short notice” She beamed. “Well, dinner is in the oven; all you need to do is warm it up. They can stay up till 8:30, but I want them in bed by 9, okay?”

Sora nodded obediently, “Absolutely”

The mother clasped her hands in delight, “That’s great. Our number is on the fridge in case there’s an emergency and there’s also my mother’s number if you can’t reach us”

By the time she had finished explaining everything, her husband came down the stairs, fixing his tie and positioning his cufflinks. “You ready sweetheart?”

The mother smiled and nodded, “Let’s get going!”

She turned to Sora and reminded her of what she said, “There’s 10 in cash on the kitchen counter top to order pizza if you or the kids get hungry again”

Sora smiled and nodded, “Okay Mrs Kim, have a good night”

The parents went down to their car as you closed the door. She turned round, only to jump back in statement. “Oh gosh, you scared me!” Sora said, half laughing.

In front of her stood a small girl who was simply gazing up at her in curiosity. “Are you the babysitter?” she asked.

Sora crouched down to her level and smiled assumingly, “Yup, you must be Mika”

The little girl nodded shyly. Her black locks covered her face most of the time so she had to push it back all the time. Mika grabbed Sora’s arm, dragging her to the living room, “Come, I want to show you my colouring”

Sora happily followed after the small girl. She revealed a small dining table with chairs surrounding it. Mika jumped up on the chair at the position where she was in front of all her images and scattered crayons. Sora made a move to sit in the chair next to her.

“Stop!” Mika cried. Sora froze in the spot, wondering what was wrong. “What is it?”

“You can’t sit there. Kai is sitting there” Mika explained. Sora looked at the seat, only to see nothing there. “Oh...” She said slowly.

“Kai is her imaginary friend” A boy said as he wondering into the room. The comment seemed to irk Mika.

“Is not Minhyuk! Kai is real!” Mika complained. Sora kept her eyes on the seat, feeling immensely uncomfortable. She tore her eyes away from it and returned her attention to the children.

“It’s okay” Sora said in a comforting voice, “I can just sit somewhere else”

She sat across the chair that supposedly was claimed by Mika’s friend Kai. She didn’t believe in make-believe but whatever was sitting there, was making Sora feel out of place. Like she didn’t belong there.

“Are you listening to me?” Minhyuk complained, gaining Sora’s attention.

“Huh?”

“I said I’m hungry!” he announced.

Sora leapt from her seat and headed to the kitchen, more than happy to leave ‘Kai’ in the dining room.


A short quick update!

I'll update a longer one soon!