Chapter 6:

Big Bang II: The big four

Chapter 6:

 

In a small thicket of trees, a sunlit river was glittering through the tree trunks. The shadows cast by the trees made a basin of cool green shade. Sixteen year old HyunA sighed and leaned back on the fallen tree trunk, arms behind her head, and looked up at the canopy of leaves above.

For the past few hours, HyunA often wondered why her company wanted her to film a rather ridiculous program in Pattaya when she knew that those celebrities would stay away from her due to her y and ty image created by her company.

Hours went by until HyunA came out of these depressing thoughts when she felt someone sat down silently next to her.

"Hello, I'm Seungri." the black hair boy held out a hand with a smile on his face.

HyunA glanced at the offered hand and looked at Seungri, his black eyes sparkling with excitement. But HyunA looked at Seungri hesitantly. Why did he approach her? Did he know about her reputation in the entertainment industry?

Seungri seemed to guess what she was thinking.

“To me, those images are nothing but just a marketing scheme created by the company." Seungri leaned leisurely on the grass with his arms relaxed behind his head. His gentle black eyes watching the cloudy clouds and the wind swept over him every so often, breezing through his dark hair. “I could understand how you feel because people tend to stay away from me because I’m a celebrity. Even though is not the same as yours. But, at least it’s similar.”

HyunA looked at Seungri for a moment, torn between whether she should believe the words that he just said until she was brought back to reality by Seungri’s remark.

"HyunA, let’s be friends.” 

HyunA looked at Seungri again. “HyunA, let’s be friends.” Seungri's simple words rang in her ears. They were confidently spoken as though there was no doubt in his mind of the sincerity behind them.

"Friends,” HyunA echoed curiously. She let the word roll off her tongue, liking the sound of it.

HyunA’s smile grew, so wide that her face hurt. But she couldn't stop. She had never met anyone like Seungri before. Sincere or not, HyunA could not deny that he was refreshing. It does not matter that everyone stayed away from her. All she need was just one friend.

At that moment, HyunA saw a glimmer of light in her lonely world.

***

HyunA sighed wearily and ran a hand through her hair as she sat inside Doo Joon's office feeling as if she had waited for the last couple of hours.

She had dozed off momentarily, and thought about an old pass time between Seungri and her.

HyunA exhaled and glanced at the secretary.

The secretary had promised that the Doo Joon will return in ten minutes, but those minutes have past and gone yet no sign that she would be relieved of this infuriating punishment yet.

Almost immediately, HyunA leaned back on the sofa she was sitting, eyeing the clock in front of her. Realising that she had waited for Doo Joon for two hours, HyunA rose from the sofa and walked towards the window, bathing in the faded orange light that had seeped into the room through the closed windows.

HyunA's thoughts were far away, wandering whether Seungri is coping well in YG Entertainment as her memories drifted back to the day, she went looking for him few years ago.

***

There was an unforgiving chill in the wind.

The pale moon shown down on the paved streets of the city of Japan, barely alive due to the late night hour. Pale, frozen flakes fell from the heavens and danced in the breeze, eventually coating the entire area in a thin sheet of ice and snow. Men, women, and children rushed down the emptying sidewalks, hurrying to get to their final destination to escape the harsh yet beautiful season of winter.

Leaning back into the booth that HyunA occupied, she raised the shot glass to her lips, allowing the alcohol to flow down burning on the way down.

When HyunA heard the footsteps approaching and without turning around, she reached over and picked up another shot glass. HyunA held it up and waited, just for a few seconds, before she felt someone take the shot glass from her grip.

"You took your time, Seungri." HyunA commented.

Seungri didn't answer right away as he took a sip of alcohol from the shot glass.

"What do you want?" Seungri asked curiously. "How were you even able to find me?"

HyunA raised her glass and took another gulp of the alcohol. The words hit her like a brick, especially with the lack of emotions in Seungri's voice.

“You are a hard person to track down. So you needn't worry about too many being able to do so. However, to answer your question, you left a trail of rumours behind you. Along with that rumours, I used a little bit of guess work.”

 “As for the first part of your question," HyunA paused, making Seungri automatically turned to face her. "Did you forget that today is Hyun Seng oppa’s fifth year death anniversary?”

Seungri was startled at HyunA's bluntness, and the subject itself, and the moment the words had sunk in, Seungri's lips tightened and his frame grew stiff. He didn't want to discuss anything about Hyun Seng with anyone, least of all with HyunA since she and Hyun Seng used to form a subgroup, troublemaker together years ago.

Seungri was terrified that his voice would crack when he spoke. The words tumbled out just above his breath. "There’s no way that I would forget about it."

HyunA looked at Seungri, a sad smile on her face.

"Did you come over to Japan because of Hyun Seng?"

Seungri shrugged his shoulders in response.

"Don't know."

HyunA was silent, her downcast eyes fixed on her pale finger as her finger toyed with the shot glass in her palm, tracing its fragile glass.

"Actually," HyunA said with an unexpected solemnity that startled Seungri. "The reason why I decided to come over to Japan is because of Hyun Seng.”

Seungri’s eyebrows arched suspiciously as she said that. Does Hyun Seng’s death affect her that much? But then, Seungri didn't want to know the answer. Making no further comment, Seungri and HyunA lapsed into an awkward silence.

“Seungri,” HyunA said thoughtfully, more to break the silence than anything else.

"Since both of us are in Japan, let’s erase all our bad memories and start anew by making good memories together.”

Seungri took a long look at HyunA, almost as if a part of him was trying to determine whether he should accept her suggestion. Seungri almost shook his head. But the other thing and perhaps the factor that stopped Seungri from rejecting HyunA is because of his own guilt for being responsible for Hyun Seng’s fate.

Seungri smiled, a pained smile, nothing like his usual smiles, and fixed his eyes at HyunA.

“Sure.”

***

"Sorry for making you wait, HyunA."

HyunA snapped out of her thoughts and turned to face Doo Joon, smiling.

“It’s okay.”  HyunA said politely as Doo Joon waved her to a seat before taking another across from her own.

"You had requested to see me, Doo Joon?" HyunA replied, leaning back in the chair.

"You have left Korea for the past few years.” Doo Joon answered simply and smiled warmly. "As the director of CUBE, isn’t it part of my duty to show some concern to my fellow artists?"

HyunA gave a heartfelt chuckle.

"I have been in CUBE since I was fifteen, Doo Joon.” HyunA said in a sweetly mocking way. “Let’s get on with it. What is it that you want to talk about?”

Doo Joon tightened his lips, unpleased, yet unhappily agreed. "Fine.”

"Straight to the point then, shall we?" Doo Joon leaned his back against his chair.

"I have reports telling me that you have been in contact with Seungri ever since you went to Japan.” Doo Joon said straight forwardly.

"Aw, how cute." HyunA teased. "Looks like someone is jealous…”

"This is not a funny matter, HyunA." Doo Joon warned.

"I know, but I just couldn't help it." HyunA's smile grew serious. "But all funny matters a side, I actually wanted to ask you for a collaboration. I believe that you are planning something as well?”

Doo Joon raised an eyebrow.

"Surprising to hear the never yielding HyunA, asking me for a collaboration. You must be desperate."

HyunA gave a heartfelt chuckle. "Sorry, to disappoint you, Doo Joon, but HyunA is never desperate, just very persistent."

"Then what is this collaboration you ask of me?" Doo Joon stared hard at HyunA, waiting for a response.

HyunA met Doo Joon's searching gaze head-on without flinching and lowered her eyes so she could not be interpreted so easily, preparing her answer.

"Do I need to state the obvious?” HyunA said straight forwardly. “I should do something about it since Hyun Seng was both my label mate and sub group member isn’t it?”

Doo Joon gazed at HyunA with an unreadable expression and laughed softly, "What are you trying to accomplish?"

HyunA shrugged her shoulders. "Who knows exactly? On the other hand, what can a mere weak woman like me do?”

Doo Joon's brows tangled and intertwined as he pondered hard at HyunA’s reply. Doo Joon knew that it is risky to collaborate with HyunA but, it is worth the risk considering that she is in contact with Seungri. Doo Joon parted his mouth, speaking slowly as if he were choosing his words very carefully, weighing every single letter.

"Very well then," Doon Joon replied "I look forward to working with you. You may leave now."

"Thank you, farewell and have a good evening,” HyunA replied before she stood up from the chair.

As HyunA placed her hand on the door knob, Doo Joon asked in a lazy and meaningful tone, his golden pen idly.

“HyunA, would you mind telling me why you decided to come back to Korea?”

HyunA turned a light degree, enough to watch Doo Joon from the corner of her eyes.

"What’s the point of me staying in Japan when Seungri is now the CEO of YG Entertainment?”

Doo Joon arched an eyebrow. "Seungri is now the CEO of YG Entertainment?" He repeated softly. The faint semblance of a smile lingered in his lips and there was a flicker of amusement in his eyes.

“This is getting more interesting.”